Next steps

View as article
The receivers can grow into productive players. I would like a proven number one in the portal, but won’t panic if we don’t land one.

We need a nose tackle above all else. I hope the staff isn’t too picky just find the best guy we can to not get blown away by the double team. A true war daddy is probably a pipe dream.We get that and it takes a lot of pressure off the linebackers. Hope theirs some disgruntled sec guys looking for playing time. I’m still ****ed about the way the last staff handled Tarbor. He would be competing for that position. That’s how small we are at dt. Good riddance to those clowns.

An average or better right tackle would really give us some breathing room to deal with guys getting banged.

It sounds like we got some decent targets for mlb, so we should land somebody there. Steed needs somebody to compete with. Flagg isn’t developing physically like I hoped.

Advertisement
I think people are overreacting a little to the WR issue. Sure, the group could use a speedy target. But it's not a bad WR group. Some of the people on this board are making it sound like this is the year we trotted out Khalil Jones and the punter (Brian Monroe) as our top 2 WR's. This group has talent.

They did not have a good spring game, but I still think a group of Restrepo, K Smith, George, Brinson (who was out), B Smith, Ladson, Redding/Worsham (I doubt both will stay), and Horton is a solid rotation. There's likely no superstar in that group, but we have some diverse weapons. I would love to add a speedy vertical WR, but I don't think the situation is as dire as some are making it out to be.
I completely agree. I think people are overrating to the Spring game where the WR group didn't play well as a whole. That's just one outing and the only one most of us get to see until the first game.

I think this is one of our best WR groups as a whole. There's a lot of really good WRs. Perhaps nobody elite, but you become elite by getting opportunities and making plays which is why Restrepo is #1 in the WR room. He's made the plays in games when he was given the opportunities. The other guys just haven't had many game opportunities. Granted most didn't help themselves in the Spring game. I can't comment on practice because I don't get to see them.

Stevenson, Ivey, Frierson, and Blades are gone after this year, Porter just transferred so he is set for this season at least.

It has also been mentioned that Clarke may be seeing some writing on the wall but Dunson has been making some plays.

Couch is a 4th year junior I believe so maybe he bolts after the season (draft or tried to go to another school to improve stock as a grad transfer)

So plenty of time for the youngins, Rogers coming off an ACL likely does not have high hopes for the season, pretty sure Graves will still be 17 when the season rolls around, he should be going into his senior year of HS and Harris was always seen as a little bit of a project. .
Porter's not eligible this year?

The receivers can grow into productive players. I would like a proven number one in the portal, but won’t panic if we don’t land one.

We need a nose tackle above all else. I hope the staff isn’t too picky just find the best guy we can to not get blown away by the double team. A true war daddy is probably a pipe dream.We get that and it takes a lot of pressure off the linebackers. Hope theirs some disgruntled sec guys looking for playing time. I’m still ****ed about the way the last staff handled Tarbor. He would be competing for that position. That’s how small we are at dt. Good riddance to those clowns.

An average or better right tackle would really give us some breathing room to deal with guys getting banged.

It sounds like we got some decent targets for mlb, so we should land somebody there. Steed needs somebody to compete with. Flagg isn’t developing physically like I hoped.
I hope Campbell will be ready for Fall camp. I haven't heard anything about his recovery which I'm sure has hindered his development and they may not be counting on him as a starter. I hope he gets himself into the 2-deep because he's solid when healthy.

Advertisement
I don't think it's fair or accurate to compare our current combination of OC (any OC willing to scheme a bit), QB, and WRs (players known to fall down in almost any 50-50 ball) to what we pushed out there against Clemson 2 years ago.

I also refuse to accept Gattis will be totally unwilling to alter some of his sets and playcalling to TVD's strengths and our WRs. But, that's just my hope.
Ya I get it but at the end of the day we need guys who can win 1 on 1 and then catch the ball when they do. Everyone is talking about how improved our corners are but is it that or is it that our receivers can’t create separation? Our receivers are basically all unknowns

@DMoney what is your take on how UM should progress with QB recruiting?

The free-spending schools are going to continue driving the prices up on each other, and I don't foresee jumping into that pool as a path to success for UM.

For starters, financial resources at UM will never be limitless, it will need to be spread out. We can't have all the money sitting in the QB room, as important as it is.

More importantly, I don't think it's necessary. If you look at the 2019 and 2020 QB classes, they've had a good amount of time to marinate. In 2019, the two top consensus guys were Bo Nix and Spencer Rattler, and I think it is safe to say they underwhelmed.

Clemson signed Taisun Photoboothmackachacah and DJ Urologicaluhoh in 2019 and 2020, respectively. They were both top tier guys and one transferred while the other can't complete a forward pass.

I think we will have more success bypassing the guys looking for NFL Rookie level payouts. There are plenty of very good to excellent QB prospects still looking for the right fit. I'd rather evaluate them and find our guy than chase. That's basically the TVD formula.

We may have to go to the portal to fill in for the years we make the wrong call, because that will happen, but I wouldn't rely on that too heavily because the top transfers are going to cost big money, too. It used to be the 3 star kid from Nowhere, USA who shines at Nowehere U either stayed put until he Grad transferred, but that won't be the case anymore. He will get paid, too.
This thing is moving so fast it's hard for me to opine on the right strategy.

Generally, I would say the best incentive for QBs is playing with great players. Build up a monster and we will be appealing to both high school QBs and Portal QBs. If that means saving some of the NIL budget for OTs and WRs, do it.

Advertisement
I mostly agree, but who on our schedule with exception to A&M, Clemson has the personnel to run it down our throats ? UNC and Pitt will present a challenge but nothing we can't combat IMO. Grab a couple key portal defenders and we should be ok.

People hated Nesta and Ford. They are gone and now everything is going to fall apart?

We just need a couple of guys who are hard to move to pair with LT, Lich, and JHH. All they have to do is hold their ground and that defense will greatly improve.
I hope Campbell will be ready for Fall camp. I haven't heard anything about his recovery which I'm sure has hindered his development and they may not be counting on him as a starter. I hope he gets himself into the 2-deep because he's solid when healthy.

Has he grown enough to give us solid reps at RT? It would really help if he did. This is his fifth year.

Hate that he missed reps. Those guys are improving.

Great update. The good news is Mario's staff is all over it. The risk is the unknowns around portal timing and talent, and those kids could get bid up quickly. If that 310-330 pound nose guard with short area burst does hit the portal, we will be one of MANY suitors. Same with OT and WR.
Good point, but Mario's resume shouts volumes to these prospects. Many of the portal guys would love to work with Mario and his top tier staff. The "Dream Team".

The other factor is Mario's emphasis on bulking up and weight for our major positions to look like the Bamas's , OSU's, Georgia's and Clemson teams . The recognized Big Dawgs in College ball for bulked, fast players at all positions.

This is where Coach Feld comes in and adds his secret sauce.....we need size and experience from the Portal, in order to fill out our undersized players at so many positions.

The potential would open up for portal guys to jump at key positions, and help them to step up to the next level of play.

For the sake of TVD we have to step up in order to give him the ammunition he needs to fire on all cylinders....and we will HAVE to have some strong bids for players of need.

Methinks Mario will get this done.

Ya I get it but at the end of the day we need guys who can win 1 on 1 and then catch the ball when they do. Everyone is talking about how improved our corners are but is it that or is it that our receivers can’t create separation? Our receivers are basically all unknowns
It's probably both. Can we use a speedster who blows the top off and complement BSmith? Sure. But, apparently I have some more faith in Brinson and George than many appear to have. Hope I'm not wrong.

Advertisement
People hated Nesta and Ford. They are gone and now everything is going to fall apart?

We just need a couple of guys who are hard to move to pair with LT, Lich, and JHH. All they have to do is hold their ground and that defense will greatly improve.

Has he grown enough to give us solid reps at RT? It would really help if he did. This is his fifth year.

Hate that he missed reps. Those guys are improving.
I have no idea where he's at. They talked about him early in the Spring, but nothing lately. I don't know how he's progressing. I have no idea of his physical conditioning. I'm sure he's learning the techniques that Mario and Mirabal want, but there's no substitute for the physicality of practice.

Hopefully he gets in a lot of training this summer and surprises us in Fall camp.

I completely agree. I think people are overrating to the Spring game where the WR group didn't play well as a whole. That's just one outing and the only one most of us get to see until the first game.

I think this is one of our best WR groups as a whole. There's a lot of really good WRs. Perhaps nobody elite, but you become elite by getting opportunities and making plays which is why Restrepo is #1 in the WR room. He's made the plays in games when he was given the opportunities. The other guys just haven't had many game opportunities. Granted most didn't help themselves in the Spring game. I can't comment on practice because I don't get to see them.
As a group .. the WR group has been underwhelming insofar as their demonstrated ability to get separation and CATCH the ball consistently. Not good indicators. Your are elite WHEN you have elite skills, able to get separation, run outstanding routes, can change direction faster than DB's can adjust, have elite speed. So far UM is very weak in "elite" WR's ... bunch of "potentially good guys" that need to take that next step. Can't risk a season HOPING that the light will come on. Mario NEEDS to find a legit go to starting WR, as well as another OT, a DT and a DE along with a pair of LB's. Without that mix ... trouble on the horizon.

Advertisement
You’re underestimating the WR issue...

Your premise would be 100% correct if this was last year’s offense, but in this system, it’s gonna be a problem.

We absolutely NEED a WR or two from the Portal & we should’ve been more aggressive for a more proven commodity back in Jan-Feb when there was way more talented WR’s in the Portal.

Ty Harrell is more than likely headed to Bama & we have to hope someone else with that kinda game changing speed falls out of the sky in the Portal, which the odds are probably low of happening if we’re betting on it.

The current WR group is unproven, we know what we have with Restrepo, but the rest playing in this offense are not gonna have it as easy as it was last year, this isn’t a system that’s conducive to high volume perimeter targets. They have good potential & upside & I think they’ll eventually do well as the season progresses, but there will absolutely be some growing pains early on that we’ll have to overcome. That’s why it’s so important for us to add Speed, because otherwise the field will get condensed pretty quick if teams don’t feel like we have a true Deep threat.

But the caveat, is the TE’s are going to absolutely feast, so that could be enough to counterbalance the lack of explosiveness on the outside, plus the RB’s will get a lot of targets out of the backfield as well.
LCE great post.
So many posters are expecting the TE's to pick up the slack for lack of WR's playmaking.
The problem is that in order for TVD to show his stuff, we need a variety pack of plays by Coach G to call,............so that the WR's can be a major part of that mix in our game.
Many of our opponents will try to plan and adjust for the TE's, but 2 or 3 key WR's in major calls, would give our TE's much more play room and chance of success at that position.

This thing is moving so fast it's hard for me to opine on the right strategy.

Generally, I would say the best incentive for QBs is playing with great players. Build up a monster and we will be appealing to both high school QBs and Portal QBs. If that means saving some of the NIL budget for OTs and WRs, do it.

That's fair.

What will derail it/slow it down is some high profile busts, and there will be plenty.

We’re recruiting them to catch the football. Can’t do that, then get passed up by a transfer. It’s that simple.

Restreppo will start, and he’s the least athletic of the bunch in terms of height and speed. But he catches the football and puts in the work
Is your WR consensus for the entire Spring based on your personal knowledge or are you basing it on the Spring game only?

Yes they are.

Here’s the oversight you’re making, Miami is not Michigan & we shouldn’t want to be.

Miami doesn’t have Michigan’s OL or overall team makeup from a personnel standpoint & we don’t play in the same style of conference as them. Those teams are geared for Northern/Midwestern style hard nosed Football, we don’t play any teams like that. The ACC is a different conference altogether, you don’t need to be a prolific offense in the B1G, if you have a run game & Defense you’ll win most of your games because they play football in Phonebooth, Miami ain’t winning 10 games playing that style, not in year 1, maybe next year, but not this year.

The idea that we don’t need WR talent is kinda crazy, but I understand where you’re trying to go with that.

I’ll simply put it like this, if you want to see this Offense be at it’s best you should also want us to have legitimate WR threats on the outside. Scoring 30 a game works fine if your Defense is really good only allowing 15-20 a game or less, Miami doesn’t have that kind of stout Defense yet where we can just play conservative ball control games & wear the clock down. Without explosiveness we’ll be vulnerable against teams we should be better than.

But I guess it simply boils down to what your expectations are, if you think we’re supposed to be a 10 win team capable of winning the Coastal in year 1, then you should definitely hope & want for us to be lethal at WR, but if you think we’re more on a slow & steady progression to becoming the style of team yall want us to be & see us more as a 8 win type of team then I totally get where you’re coming from.
To your last question, my point is I think we can win 9 games next year with the current talent at WR. Would I like a true #1, sure. But I am not willing to argue like some have (not you) that his team as currently constructed is resigned to 7/8 wins due to lack of talent at WR and D-line.

The defensive talent should be better than last year with the maturation of the back end, and the continued progress of Chase Smith, even with a D-line that is little or no better than last year. Though I think the transfers will improve the D-line from a year ago. After all, we lost McCloud (who was pretty good) and Jon Ford who was almost non-existent. It's pretty easy to be better than that group.

And I believe the upgraded talent at RB and TE and Oline, along with the continued maturation of TVD, makes us a better offense than last year even without a #1 WR. Especially with Gattis at OC. He is the real deal.

My expectation is 9 wins. I think between a slightly better offense, a slightly better defense and better special teams, we win 2 extra games.
If we want to reach 10+ then I agree with you that we need a #1 WR.

Advertisement
Back