Next opponent Bethune Cookman Wildcats

I don't think it's a bad thing for fans not to show up for crap games. It (hopefully) sends a message that if you want fan support, you need to figure out an OOC schedule with a couple of non-cupcakes at home. L defending scheduling the Lehigh, SFA and Bethune games because they are favored to win their respective conferences is a bridge too far.

Perfect post.

Advertisement
If Miami wants to play easy games early in the season, atleast schedule in state schools to attempt to create some fan interest with a "rivalry". At some point, fan support and attendance have to become a bigger priority.
Scheduling is really not that hard. Open the season with FIU, UCF, USF and FGCU. Alternate the home and home with them. Next six games in your recruiting areas (St. Johns and UConn-Northeast), Penn State and Temple or Villanova-Philadelphia/Pennsylvania) and (Georgetown and Maryland-Maryland/DC) and finish with FAU and Florida in the Orange Bowl Classic at the end of December. The HoopHall in Miami is a great event if you could play Kansas or someone in the preseason top 10. Neutral site games should be easier to schedule for "Blue Bloods".
Yes, Miami basketball has been good the past few years but they still need to continue to build the brand in the state of Florida and along the east coast before they get any national recognition.

Two game evaluation:

The team is better than people think, especially when they play "big." Izundu should start at center and Wardenburg should come off the bench when Hernandez gets cleared. I know Coach L are selling Sam as a stretch four but he does not rebound well enough to play the four right now. Next year maybe after he continues to lift weights and get stronger.
The team is sharing the ball extremely well and they have cut down on turnovers and bad shots at a high rate. Of course, depth especially behind Lykes is a concern if Johnson cannot play the point. However, so far so good as Anthony Lawrence is handling the ball very well.
This will sound crazy and maybe going out on a limb but if Hernandez comes back soon (today) and the team continues to play at this rate and improve then they could be a top 4 team in the ACC. I didn't say are, I said could be.
Yes, it is small sample size (very small) but there are a lot of positives from their on-court performance. I know the schedule is soft but a good team should blowout opponents on a soft schedule. Mission accomplished so far. I like the direction the team is trending.
GO CANES.

Two game evaluation:

I didn't watch a minute because they were glorified exhibition games that don't tell us anything about how the team will do against legitimate competition.

Advertisement
Back