Next Opp: UAB 52, Savannah St 0

I went to Ga Southern (about an hour's drive from Sav St) and my niece currently goes there and from firsthand experience I can tell you that SSU is one of the WORST programs in D1 football. Schools like Miami shouldn't be playing them, but on the other hand, the money they get to take a beating from the big time schools goes a long way in funding their athletic department for the entire year.

Advertisement
There are definitely some NAIA and D3 teams that would beat Savannah St. It’s a shame for those guys because getting beat like that probably does a lot of damage to their confidence as players, the mental aspect of football can hurt their devolpment in a big way.

I hope we rotate a lot of younger guys and do so really early, definitely get our walk ons a chance to hit the field in a hurricanes uniform. I could see a lot of starters sitting this one out. No sense in risking injury for either of the teams.

That being said if it were anybody else in D1 I’d want to go full out for as long as we can, style points are important now, but that mentality is not applicable to this game.

Scheduling is usually done many years in advance long before CR got here. It's getting harder and harder each year to find teams with open dates that align with yours

If we are going to play cupcakes I agree that playing in-state is best for interest and attendance.

As for the polls, how many points are enough? That makes playing our reserves harder

Given a choice I'd rather play a team that is at least competitive.

Besides rest and the opportunity to play our 2nd and 3rd teams players in front of crowd, we're not learning anything about them that we couldn't learn about our players in practice.by playing a team ike Savannah State

Last edited:
Advertisement
It will be like an extra Bye week for the starters.
It will also be a game in which all 4 qbs could get playing time in theory.
Exactly. Early season game that gets every freshman playing time. No harm in this.

Last time we played them there were Canes in the game I’d never heard of. I swear guys in the band threw on pads and a uniform and went in the game. The second half was a running clock. Their coach refused to play 12 min quarters. IIRC.

Starters play first quarter. Win 28-0. Then the 2nd team eats for the 2nd/3rd. Anyone else plays the 4th.

Anyone with so much as a sore finger sits.

And don’t schedule them again. I’m all for one cupcake game like everyone else but at schedule an in-state team like B-C or A&M.

Advertisement
I sincerely hope Richt doesn't fall into the poll style points mentality and use this game for the opportunity of getting game experience or the 2nd and 3rd teams.

If our starters play more than a quarter we're taking an unnecessary risk regardless of the score at that time .....to prove what?

No matter how we slice this pie... it still tastes bad.

Nothing but an unforeseen injury comes out of this game.

Savannah is so bad that I'm not sure how or why they have a program.
I grew up in Savannah and I agree. No clue why they even have a team. They are definitely NOT using the money they’ve received from FSU, Ok State, and Miami in previous years to improve their coaching staff, facilities, or recruiting efforts.
In fact, Savannah State haven’t had a season over .500 since 1998. Let that sink in.

1998 7W- 5L
1999 5W-6L
2000 2W-8L
2001 2W-2L
2002 1W-9L
2003 0W-12L
2004 2W-8L
2005 0W-11L
2006 2W-9L
2007 1W-9L
2008 5W-7L
2009 2W-8L
2010 1W-10L
2011 1W-10L
2012 2W-9L
2013 4W-8L
2014 0W-12L
2015 1W-9L
2016 3W-7L
2017 3W-8L

Advertisement
I grew up in Savannah and I agree. No clue why they even have a team. They are definitely NOT using the money they’ve received from FSU, Ok State, and Miami in previous years to improve their coaching staff, facilities, or recruiting efforts.
In fact, Savannah State haven’t had a season over .500 since 1998. Let that sink in.

1998 7W- 5L
1999 5W-6L
2000 2W-8L
2001 2W-2L
2002 1W-9L
2003 0W-12L
2004 2W-8L
2005 0W-11L
2006 2W-9L
2007 1W-9L
2008 5W-7L
2009 2W-8L
2010 1W-10L
2011 1W-10L
2012 2W-9L
2013 4W-8L
2014 0W-12L
2015 1W-9L
2016 3W-7L
2017 3W-8L

Hence why they are moving back down to D-2. The school just can't afford to field a competitive FCS team, like a lot of other HBCUs. The funny part is that their staff has put in work, but it isn't showing up on the stat sheet. When you go and watch their games over the last couple of years, they are far more competitive in the MEAC than they've been in recent years, the funding and support just isn't there.

By the way people, whether it is SSU, FAMU or BCU, it's a glorified scrimmage. FAMU hasn't been good in ages, I don't hear anyone whining about that. It's a Rent-A-Victim game, period. There should always be one of those, to go along with the big name opponent, and two mid majors. That's a sensible OOC schedule, especially considering that Miami isn't going to pay top dollar for an additional mid major to replace the FAMUs and BCUs of the world.

Could be wrong but believe Savannah would have been first game and got shuffled to second when Canes-LSU got slotted for Dallas. Richt has traditionally scheduled more local teams for the breathers.

Advertisement
I hate playing D2 teams, but if we are going to play one a year, at least give me Bethune. They can at least put up a fight for a quarter or so. Savannah is so bad that I'm not sure how or why they have a program.

Every school in the country pretty much plays one of these "D2" games. Bama, Georgia, Clemson, FSU all do it, but somehow Miami cant.

And whats the point of scheduling a better FCS team? All any voters or the playoff committee see is "FCS". Nobody gives a **** if you beat the #1 FCS school or the worst one, its just a FCS win.

UAB didn't even have a program a few years ago. This is a joke.

There's no point in playing Savannah State the second game of the season if you're opening with LSU. It's not like you're getting a warm-up out of it at that point. This game should've never been scheduled, but the other thing is that it would be better if it was a late season game. It would give you a "bye" late in the season when you need it. It's pointless as game #2 this season.

Actually, you're 100% wrong. LSU is going to be a very physical game, just like our games with FSU are.

Guys are going to get hurt and beat up. It's incredibly helpful to basically have that rest week right after LSU. It would make less sense if we opened with FIU or Toledo, but even then, again we're going to play a FCS team regardless.

I'll never get why some fans want the OOC to be 4 elite teams. People claim they want Miami to win National Championships, well then learn from Saban and schedule like he does. If Bama can play 1 decent team and 3 easy games, including a FCS, why cant we?

Oh, and check UGA's OOC this year. If that were our OOC, there would be a meltdown. Yet UGA fans love it because that soft schedule almost guarantees them a playoff spot

Advertisement
Back