Next Opp: UAB 52, Savannah St 0

caneworld

Junior
Why the heck are we playing Savannah St again? They are worse than some FL high school teams...
Not even a scrimmage quality team...

Advertisement
It will be like an extra Bye week for the starters.
It will also be a game in which all 4 qbs could get playing time in theory.

Advertisement
I hate playing D2 teams, but if we are going to play one a year, at least give me Bethune. They can at least put up a fight for a quarter or so. Savannah is so bad that I'm not sure how or why they have a program.

There's scheduling cupcakes and then there's scheduling totally overwhelmed, should-not-be-playing-against-Miami cupcakes. The last time they were here, they lost to an Al Golden coached team 77-0. I would much prefer they schedule an instate FCS team like Bethune or FAMU. One day one of these Savannah State kids is going to get hurt and it will be on their Athletic department's hands.

Advertisement
There are definitely some NAIA and D3 teams that would beat Savannah St. It’s a shame for those guys because getting beat like that probably does a lot of damage to their confidence as players, the mental aspect of football can hurt their devolpment in a big way.

I hope we rotate a lot of younger guys and do so really early, definitely get our walk ons a chance to hit the field in a hurricanes uniform. I could see a lot of starters sitting this one out. No sense in risking injury for either of the teams.

That being said if it were anybody else in D1 I’d want to go full out for as long as we can, style points are important now, but that mentality is not applicable to this game.

There's scheduling cupcakes and then there's scheduling totally overwhelmed, should-not-be-playing-against-Miami cupcakes. The last time they were here, they lost to an Al Golden coached team 77-0. I would much prefer they schedule an instate FCS team like Bethune or FAMU. One day one of these Savannah State kids is going to get hurt and it will be on their Athletic department's hands.
100% agree.

This is perfect for the week after LSU. Only 6 days to prepare after the Sunday night game, we get to rest guys who will be banged up after LSU, and we can pull the starters before the 1st half is over.

Bethune-Cookman wasn't bad last year. They scored first and was 3-3 at the end of the 1st. It wasn't until midway through quarter two when we got in sync. Even then, B-CU hung semi-around the whole game. Remember we beat ND 41-8 but only beat B-CU 41-13.

Savannah State is a different story. B-CU and FAMU boat race them every year. That's saying something. That being said, they are a team that will physically stay in a hotel the night before their bodies take up space in our stadium and will stand on the other side of the line of scrimmage from our people, so it would be best to take them seriously when they come to town.

I don't see a reason for JJax, AR82, Homer, Michael Jackson, Shaq, or JaQuan to play that game. We win I say 66-7.

Advertisement
No business playing a team that fkn UAB beats by 50 points . I can’t wait til teams stop doing this

There are definitely some NAIA and D3 teams that would beat Savannah St. It’s a shame for those guys because getting beat like that probably does a lot of damage to their confidence as players, the mental aspect of football can hurt their devolpment in a big way.

I hope we rotate a lot of younger guys and do so really early, definitely get our walk ons a chance to hit the field in a hurricanes uniform. I could see a lot of starters sitting this one out. No sense in risking injury for either of the teams.

That being said if it were anybody else in D1 I’d want to go full out for as long as we can, style points are important now, but that mentality is not applicable to this game.
Man if you’re a football player and actually choose to go to Savannah St your *** should already know what’s about to happen .

Advertisement
Man if you’re a football player and actually choose to go to Savannah St your *** should already know what’s about to happen .

Nah, man. They probably get sold on the fact that they play a couple of big name schools every few years. It’s easy for a recruit to not understand the difference between an FCS school with the caliber of a Jacksonville St, Richmond, or James Madison and a school like Savannah St. At that level it’s a lot of guys who are just happy to be playing D1 ball even if it’s AA. I think the athletic department needs to reconsider how they are handling their program, they clearly aren’t ready hold their own against any D1-A opponent much less other D1-AA schools

Nah, man. They probably get sold on the fact that they play a couple of big name schools every few years. It’s easy for a recruit to not understand the difference between an FCS school with the caliber of a Jacksonville St, Richmond, or James Madison and a school like Savannah St. At that level it’s a lot of guys who are just happy to be playing D1 ball even if it’s AA. I think the athletic department needs to reconsider how they are handling their program, they clearly aren’t ready hold their own against any D1-A opponent much less other D1-AA schools
I’m just saying all it would take is one look at past schedules to see howbad you’re about to suck if you go play there . It’s not like the kids go there thinking Savannah St is some powerhouse . if they do they’re an idiot .

UAB didn't even have a program a few years ago. This is a joke.

There's no point in playing Savannah State the second game of the season if you're opening with LSU. It's not like you're getting a warm-up out of it at that point. This game should've never been scheduled, but the other thing is that it would be better if it was a late season game. It would give you a "bye" late in the season when you need it. It's pointless as game #2 this season.

I believe that already happened with one of the FCS schools Miami played (or it may have been UGA under Richt) where a player got hurt and the school paid the medical expenses for the player's family.

Advertisement
Back