News all of you I'm sure will like...

Many people here saw my comment over the weekend about this very subject, but it still SHOCKED me when I heard what I heard.

Did Swasey just not care? Was he ignorant? Lazy? Out of touch with modern S/C methods? All of the above?

S/C is supposed to be one of the more straight forward aspects of a football team - you break down and build up each position based on the philosophy of each position coach and the O/D coordinators. So either those coaches HAD no philosophy, or Swasey flat out ignored them. Either way, what was behind Golden's curtain of secrecy was way worse than I would have ever guessed.

Golden at the beginning of his time at Miami said the S&C gets his orders from the HC. But plz continue with the bs it's funny.

You realize Swasey was here for two previously failed Miami regimes. And throughout that time was incapable of passing a basic exam that would allow him to actually be present in the weight room? The man was one of the biggest if not THE biggest examples of the ineptitude of our once great program.

Wrong again... that's not a test you do once to get accredited than you're done forever. Depending on the accreditation it's either once a year or once every 3 years. Just because he didn't pass last year means nothing about other exams.

Advertisement
HE COULDNT BE IN THE WEIGHT ROOM, THEREFORE TO MAKE IT EASIER ON HIM, HE ORDERED THE SAME REGIMEN FOR EVERYONE

All you had to do was look at the stomachs that arrived at the line of scrimmage before the actual player got set...By the end of the third quarter it was absolutely embarassing at the shape our O-line was in...

Our strength and conditioning wasn't too bad under the previous Coker and RS. We always did well at the combine. I mean you even noticed our speed and strengths during games. However we couldn't execute plays with missed assignments and number of other issues. However under Al you could noticed that we were getting slower and weaker. We couldn't tackle and anytime you saw the oline you knew they just weren't healthy. Darling needs to reshape his body. That is fat. He isn't solid.

Al wanted this team to resemble a Big 10 team but I never saw a Big 10 team look like us. I don't think he knew how to implement his regimen. As for Swasey he needed to move on. He needs to learn from under someone who has been successful lately. Its not god to remain in one spot.

Our kids did okay at the combine. A kid like Jon Beason, who was quite the specimen and who by the way threw Swasey under the bus after he left, tested somewhere in the middle in the 40 and in the bench. We had kids like Shields and Van Dyke who were explosive coming into Coral Gables. Some of this points to just recruiting better athletes with higher upside.

I do agree that Golden was obsessed with kids putting on weight and with little regard to explosion. At least that was the impact of his S&C direction.

Or maybe he was doing what the last coach idiotically mandated

That's sad that the only person who's accurate here got down voted. Swasey wasn't using his principles & training methods for the last 5 years. He was told what mattered was putting bulk on these kids... that's not his ways. He's all about fast twitch & explosiveness. He hasn't been allowed to do that for far too long now.

The team was grossly out of shape and soft for years and years before Golden got here.

Swasey was a massive cancer for this team. He cared so little about doing his actual job that he wasn't capable of passing a basic test that would allow him to physically be IN the weight room. Dude was more concerned with hanging out with celebrity athletes. Do you realize how absolutely shameful that is? This man's career revolves around the training of kids, and he couldn't pass a rather basic test??????

Either he was completely incompetent, didn't care at all, or both. There is no excuse for a man at THE UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI, one of the top 50 best schools in the country with 9 national championships and now a top 10 basketball program to have a man running S&C who cannot pass a basic safety test. It was a disgrace. It was actually way worse than anyone imagined, but it makes sense given how the team looked and performed for a decade plus.

Advertisement
If Swasey is as good as some people here think he is then he should be in hot demand for a head S&C gig at a P5 school very soon. When Kool got fired he had schools lined up trying to hire him. He was on the open market for about 2 days. Same with Richt.

Our strength and conditioning wasn't too bad under the previous Coker and RS. We always did well at the combine. I mean you even noticed our speed and strengths during games. However we couldn't execute plays with missed assignments and number of other issues. However under Al you could noticed that we were getting slower and weaker. We couldn't tackle and anytime you saw the oline you knew they just weren't healthy. Darling needs to reshape his body. That is fat. He isn't solid.

Al wanted this team to resemble a Big 10 team but I never saw a Big 10 team look like us. I don't think he knew how to implement his regimen. As for Swasey he needed to move on. He needs to learn from under someone who has been successful lately. Its not god to remain in one spot.

Everyone's eye test is a little different, but to me, watching games over those years, we looked less and less like a top tier team from a purely visual physical standpoint. Combine numbers aside, some combination of recruiting the wrong body type, getting a poor direction from the head coach in terms of physical goals, and a simple lack of knowledge on the part of Swasey made our team look clearly under developed by the end of the Shannon regime to me.

I understand there is a difference between good and bad weight, and Golden certainly seemed to ignore the bad weight problem, but there is no doubt in my mind we were not developed enough in the good weight by his arrival. We looked like a JV team in that sun bowl against notre dame.

My point about S&C was always that we have bigger fish to fry. That said, im thrilled if it turns out that it was a bigger deal than I thought and it will make a big impact next season.

I thought our strength and conditioning was still pretty poor or at least on the decline in the previous regimes. I recall GT dragging our boys down the field while they hung on to hand warmers. We routinely looked smaller than our average opponents. I hate the SEC but at least their teams look the part. Our didn't look the part, nor did they play the part (not entirely their fault with who they trusted to guide them).

I used to have grudges against guys like Cristobal and all the Miami players that turned their backs on the program but in hindsight how can you blame them. Maybe some went away for money, but in the end they got away from someone who would have done his best to ruin their career on many levels. I'll just let bygones be bygones and hope this new staff can finally give us a watchable product on the field.

Advertisement
I dont know about that prior to Al's arrival our players were actually just as big and strong as sec opponents. Just in some areas we recruited smaller players and they were smaller than their peers. I mean backers like Spence and Buchanon came in around 190 but they were also fast. And left around 230-240. Our 2010 dline had good size too averaging about 280-290. Our performances was lacking but not strength and conditioning.

That's sad that the only person who's accurate here got down voted. Swasey wasn't using his principles & training methods for the last 5 years. He was told what mattered was putting bulk on these kids... that's not his ways. He's all about fast twitch & explosiveness. He hasn't been allowed to do that for far too long now.

The team was grossly out of shape and soft for years and years before Golden got here.

Swasey was a massive cancer for this team. He cared so little about doing his actual job that he wasn't capable of passing a basic test that would allow him to physically be IN the weight room. Dude was more concerned with hanging out with celebrity athletes. Do you realize how absolutely shameful that is? This man's career revolves around the training of kids, and he couldn't pass a rather basic test??????

Either he was completely incompetent, didn't care at all, or both. There is no excuse for a man at THE UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI, one of the top 50 best schools in the country with 9 national championships and now a top 10 basketball program to have a man running S&C who cannot pass a basic safety test. It was a disgrace. It was actually way worse than anyone imagined, but it makes sense given how the team looked and performed for a decade plus.

Agree with this. Not an S&C expert but we got manhandled by cal and wiscy under Randy if I'm not mistaken. Then at k state early in the golden regime.

This is just flat out WRONG. Our combine numbers were PUTRID under Randy Shannon. We had guys that couldn't do 10 reps of 225 at the combine under Shannon.

I dont know about that prior to Al's arrival our players were actually just as big and strong as sec opponents. Just in some areas we recruited smaller players and they were smaller than their peers. I mean backers like Spence and Buchanon came in around 190 but they were also fast. And left around 230-240. Our 2010 dline had good size too averaging about 280-290. Our performances was lacking but not strength and conditioning.

I see you are dead set on defending Swasey. Care to explain why he was incapable of passing a simple exam? Was that Al's fault too?

Advertisement
It shows itself on game day, The previous coach's team showed us all we needed to know about him on game days. We will learn a lot about what Richt & Co are doing when it counts... I hope to be impressed

LOL @ the revisionist history going on here. When Golden took over, a large portion of the fan base was calling for Swasey to be fired. Especially after we got completely manhandled against Wisconsin. One of the things that got people excited about Golden was that he seemingly placed a huge emphasis on S&C and had some big, strong Temple teams.

Golden ended up keeping Swasey and a lot of people were disappointed. Golden knew Swasey sucked, though. That's why he made such a big deal about revamping the S&C program when he came in, and started U-Tough, etc. Golden taking over the S&C program isn't an indctment on Golden--it's an indictment on Swasey.

And yes, like Franchise said, if Swasey was so great I am sure he will get scooped out by a big pwoer 5 team.

More likely, the guy becomes a personal trainer and goes into business with his wife.

A group of us have wanted Swasey's head for over 10 years.

Luckily the truth came out and it's conclusive: he's a dunce who was working a job he was severely unqualified for. He only survived due to the sad state of Miami football. He was so unfit to lead a strength program the NCAA deemed him a risk to players, banning him from directly training athletes.

If this harsh reality isn't enough for Swasey's defenders who fail to deal in reality, there isn't much else to say. The depth of his incompetence will be further reinforced by the fact that not a single program worth a **** will hire him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Many people here saw my comment over the weekend about this very subject, but it still SHOCKED me when I heard what I heard.

Did Swasey just not care? Was he ignorant? Lazy? Out of touch with modern S/C methods? All of the above?

S/C is supposed to be one of the more straight forward aspects of a football team - you break down and build up each position based on the philosophy of each position coach and the O/D coordinators. So either those coaches HAD no philosophy, or Swasey flat out ignored them. Either way, what was behind Golden's curtain of secrecy was way worse than I would have ever guessed.

Al just wanted guys to get bigger. Some of our guy, notably Chickillo lost their explosiveness. That also would have effected their speed. Al wanted to build this team in the mold of a power football team.

Swasey has BEEN sucked. Guys like myself and WhatTheHell and FireSwasey were ridiculed by Dirty Sprite and Secret Workout. They said things like "the problem isn't Swasey" or "we are just looking for someone to blame" but we had seen the same S&C shortcomings for over a decade.

Apparently UM didn't require continuing education in the field post Shalala's arrival, though I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

UM

Golden tried to get rid of him but he couldn't. Swazey was a sacred cow with unbelievable support not only from ex players who regularly worked out there to other non football coaches

Advertisement
Back