News all of you I'm sure will like...

Many people here saw my comment over the weekend about this very subject, but it still SHOCKED me when I heard what I heard.

Did Swasey just not care? Was he ignorant? Lazy? Out of touch with modern S/C methods? All of the above?

S/C is supposed to be one of the more straight forward aspects of a football team - you break down and build up each position based on the philosophy of each position coach and the O/D coordinators. So either those coaches HAD no philosophy, or Swasey flat out ignored them. Either way, what was behind Golden's curtain of secrecy was way worse than I would have ever guessed.

Golden at the beginning of his time at Miami said the S&C gets his orders from the HC. But plz continue with the bs it's funny.

This^^^^^

Advertisement
Our strength and conditioning wasn't too bad under the previous Coker and RS. We always did well at the combine. I mean you even noticed our speed and strengths during games. However we couldn't execute plays with missed assignments and number of other issues. However under Al you could noticed that we were getting slower and weaker. We couldn't tackle and anytime you saw the oline you knew they just weren't healthy. Darling needs to reshape his body. That is fat. He isn't solid.

Al wanted this team to resemble a Big 10 team but I never saw a Big 10 team look like us. I don't think he knew how to implement his regimen. As for Swasey he needed to move on. He needs to learn from under someone who has been successful lately. Its not god to remain in one spot.
AG was confused, since they became The B1G.

Meh we heard the same **** during golden's workouts dudes wee saying they can't move their arms

Meh we heard the same **** during golden's workouts dudes wee saying they can't move their arms

I hope the players are telling recruits that the new S & C program makes your **** 12 inches long. Whatever it takes to impress the recruits with the new regime. This is called HYPE. It's a very useful tool with 18 year olds.

Advertisement
When you combine all the failures together, Golden, Dorito, bad recruiting, training process, schemes, jr. high oc, lame db coach, de-emphasis on speed, failed special teams coaching etc, its a wonder we weren't worse. The enlightening part of this is that despite all working against them the guys did pretty good. Gives legitimate reasoning for a season exceeding our expectation, with all this being corrected and improved. Record should correspond in kind.

Totally agree. On paper, we "should" beat at least 9 of our opponents, probably 10. I think we have a better than 50% chance of beating FSU. Not sure about ND. I think we should win 10 games at least (barring injuries to our key players, like Kaaya, Coley, etc.).

We may be favored in 9 of our 12 games.
So not beating UNC at home, FSU at home, or ND to get to 10-2 would not do it for me.

I hope the players are telling recruits that the new S & C program makes your **** 12 inches long. Whatever it takes to impress the recruits with the new regime. This is called HYPE. It's a very useful tool with 18 year olds.

Is there a fan S&C program??

Advertisement
Or maybe he was doing what the last coach idiotically mandated

Golden tried to get rid of him but he couldn't. Swazey was a sacred cow with unbelievable support not only from ex players who regularly worked out there to other non football coaches
Proof?
I do remember reading initially after Golden was hired that he was bringing Tony Decker (S&C coach from Temple) with him. I have no idea if that report was legit or if that is what the QP is referring to but I'd be curious to know if there was more to the story.

Many people here saw my comment over the weekend about this very subject, but it still SHOCKED me when I heard what I heard.

Did Swasey just not care? Was he ignorant? Lazy? Out of touch with modern S/C methods? All of the above?

S/C is supposed to be one of the more straight forward aspects of a football team - you break down and build up each position based on the philosophy of each position coach and the O/D coordinators. So either those coaches HAD no philosophy, or Swasey flat out ignored them. Either way, what was behind Golden's curtain of secrecy was way worse than I would have ever guessed.

Golden at the beginning of his time at Miami said the S&C gets his orders from the HC. But plz continue with the bs it's funny.

You fail to realize that just because a mandate comes from the HC to get players bigger, add weight, or take a particular approach....doesn't equate to the method being delivered properly. We don't know HOW Swasey instructed these kids on technique, tempo, exercise selection, and intra-player supervision/spotting. Most of these kids didn't know anything about S&C before they got here.

There is the mandate and then the delivery. They both failed. But continue your assumptions based on no info except that we got pushed around and played with bad weight in positions.

You fail to realize that just because a mandate comes from the HC to get players bigger, add weight, or take a particular approach....doesn't equate to the method being delivered properly. We don't know HOW Swasey instructed these kids on technique, tempo, exercise selection, and intra-player supervision/spotting. Most of these kids didn't know anything about S&C before they got here.

There is the mandate and then the delivery. They both failed. But continue your assumptions based on no info except that we got pushed around and played with bad weight in positions.
The "it was all Golden's fault" defense of Swasey also fails to account for the fact that the same S&C issues were evident under Shannon and Coker. Or the fact that our team consistently looked gassed in the 4th Quarter of every close game we played. It is possible to gain mass and be well conditioned simultaneously. As Franchise noted earlier, if Swasey is as great as his defenders would have us believe, he'll have no problem landing another P5/D1 job. I'm sure he'll be snatched up any day now.

I know an ex cane player that signed up for a program that preps players for the NFL combine. There were many other players from other schools present. Upon announcing he was from UM, he was singled out and told, "Ok, we are going to have to teach you how to work out".

This happened just before Golden took over.
People outside of our fan base know that our S&C program is not very good

Advertisement
Travis Homer is a recruit. Correct? Is he registered and on campus? How would he know any of this? Just askin'.

All you really need to know is that all of the players were following the same workout regimen. That in and of itself shows a serious amount of incompetence.

Advertisement
Swasey thought he was untouchable based on the support from former players. The guy made it through 3 different coaching changes.

However, that support was based on their friendship with him and nothing else. Richt saw right through it.

He failed the certification examination which has been talked about in depth. He is either lazy or just not very bright. Either way, he will not be missed.

It's not sho friends......it's sho buisness!

In the SEC they only recruit kids who are already 12" long. Probably not to Donna's liking. She liked ACTs, SATs, and GPAs. Inches not among her criteria.

Advertisement
Back