New Staff Changes

Regardless of what happens, regardless if Golden fires assistants, regardless of he's fired next year, in 2 years, or at the end of his contract, Swasey will somehow worm his way out of getting fired.

Advertisement
Kehoe did a good job this year. He had 3 RT get hurt, and more. He's done well. Shouldn't get fired. The problem isn't strength and conditioning either.
Need new WR, DL, DB assistant coaches. And of course new DC and HC.

Yes. This is precisely right. Our WR coaching has been real poor. The DL and DB issues are obvious. Scheme don't help.

Kehoe did a good job this year. He had 3 RT get hurt, and more. He's done well. Shouldn't get fired. The problem isn't strength and conditioning either.

I'm ok with those changes, as long as they bring in Lamar Thomas for WR, and Mike Rumph for DB. Those changes won't change anything overall, but those are two guys I could see Butch keeping and winning with here. I could also see Ed Reed coaching here very soon. And please don't say that's unrealistic. The man has had a great NFL career and will retire soon (1-2 years). A call from Butch to coach DB's wouldn't be far fetched. Him or Rumph would be excellent. Take your pick. Reed already coaches a youth football camp. He has some experience with that and can continue teaching at his alma mater.

Andreu Swasey is the ultimate ****roach. 3 failed regimes and counting. Should have been fired 10 years ago.

Advertisement
weeks TE=pb5cane;2126704]Barrow looking like a genius
Can't wait till the real reason he bolted comes out. Other than Golden and No D sucking a$$[/QUOTE]

Big Poppa posted a few weeks ago that allegedly, Barrow was involved in a physical altercation with Donofrio and was in essence fired by Golden. Apparently, Barrow had to sign a gag order prohibiting him from speaking about the alleged incident.

I have no idea as to the validity of those assertions but they ring true to me. It would fit perfectly into perception we all have of Al and what a gutless ***** face he is.

I don't know anything about swasey, but bring in a new coach and let him bring in his own SC coach, it starts with the HC, just watch Michigan after JH comes in.

If Golden is still here, making staff changes is equivalent to spraying fabreeze on a pile of fresh dog ish....

Advertisement

I'm ok with those changes, as long as they bring in Lamar Thomas for WR, and Mike Rumph for DB. Those changes won't change anything overall, but those are two guys I could see Butch keeping and winning with here. I could also see Ed Reed coaching here very soon. And please don't say that's unrealistic. The man has had a great NFL career and will retire soon (1-2 years). A call from Butch to coach DB's wouldn't be far fetched. Him or Rumph would be excellent. Take your pick. Reed already coaches a youth football camp. He has some experience with that and can continue teaching at his alma mater.
Just because you are a former player or even an all time great, doesn't mean that you are cut out to be a coach, and I definitely don't want our staff littered with guys that are so green at the job. That is exactly how you get embarrassed by Jimbo and company. It's a good idea to bring in a guy or two and help bring him along and see where it goes but you start riddling the team with these type of coaches and it will be a disaster.

Just because you are a former player or even an all time great, doesn't mean that you are cut out to be a coach, and I definitely don't want our staff littered with guys that are so green at the job. That is exactly how you get embarrassed by Jimbo and company. It's a good idea to bring in a guy or two and help bring him along and see where it goes but you start riddling the team with these type of coaches and it will be a disaster.

It also doesn't mean they can't coach though. I agree with you but there isn't really a right way of knowing whether they can or can't. We know Rumph can- he's proving it now. Ed has never coached so obviously he needs to prove himself. He has the intangibles though in terms of his leadership and the way he lead the Baltimore defense with Ray. He definitely helped young players along the way. Still though, you're right, he would need to prove himself. Everyone needs a chance though.

I'm never going to say Ed Reed can't coach, but he sure as **** did in 2001 as a player.

What Ed did that may not be teachable, is that Ed Reed almost had "Spider-Sense," in his ability to almost know in advance where the play was going. And that precognition is impossible to teach.

It also doesn't mean they can't coach though. I agree with you but there isn't really a right way of knowing whether they can or can't. We know Rumph can- he's proving it now. Ed has never coached so obviously he needs to prove himself. He has the intangibles though in terms of his leadership and the way he lead the Baltimore defense with Ray. He definitely helped young players along the way. Still though, you're right, he would need to prove himself. Everyone needs a chance though.

How has Rumph shown he can coach at the next level? See this is what I'm talking about. What Rumph is doing is nice and maybe one day he will be a great coach but coaching HS isn't coaching Div 1. This is exactly what has been killing us, we haven't had competent coaches from a development and Xs and Os standpoint. We can't really afford to take anymore chances on these guys and see if they will be good cause we are already so far behind. We need to hire guys that will come in right away and make a difference.

Saban and Jimbo guys who already have a track record being able to coach and hire competent coaches can afford to do that, we can't right now.

Last edited:
Advertisement

How has Rumph shown he can coach at the next level? See this is what I'm talking about. What Rumph is doing is nice and maybe one day he will be a great coach but coaching HS isn't coaching Div 1. This is exactly what has been killing us, we haven't had competent coaches from a development and Xs and Os standpoint. We can't really afford to take anymore chances on these guys and see if they will be good cause we are already so far behind. We need to hire guys that will come in right away and make a difference.

Saban and Jimbo guys who already have a track record being able to coach and hire competent coaches can afford to do that, we can't right now.

I think you're missing my point. Going from a successful High School head coach to a college position coach isn't a huge jump. Saban brought in Pruitt to be a position coach while he was a DC on high school. Ice has worked out as a position coach for us. Malzahn has worked out too. Rumph has proven one thing- he can coach a high school team to a championship. He has developed those kids and made that program one to be reckoned with. Becoming a DB coach, with all his experience as a DB and coach isn't such a far jump. Everyone starts somewhere. Look where Pruitt and Malzahn are today! I'm not saying Rumph should be the DC. Just bring him in to coach DB's. I don't think that is a huge stretch.

I think you're missing my point. Going from a successful High School head coach to a college position coach isn't a huge jump. Saban brought in Pruitt to be a position coach while he was a DC on high school. Ice has worked out as a position coach for us. Malaga has worked out too. Rumph has proven one thing- he can coach a high school team to a championship. He has developed those kids and made that program one to be reckoned with. Becoming a DB coach, with all his experience as a DB and coach isn't such a far jump. Everyone starts somewhere. Look where Pruitt and Malzahn are today! I'm not saying Rumph should be the DC. Just bring him in to coach DB's. I don't think that is a huge stretch.

Trust that Pruitt's don't come around that often. Malzahn was an OC at three different colleges for 5 years before getting a HC job at Arky State before he became a coach at Auburn. Lastly I have faith in Ice being a good coach but what makes you say he has already worked out as a position coach? Way too early to tell. Lastly, if we already had a solid staff in place, then yes give Rumph a chance but we don't. Not only that the DB coach is total trash, we need someone to come in right away and teach these kids the proper technique, a plug and play guy not someone green like Rumph. Also what has Rumph shown in terms of coaching DBs on a concrete level?

Advertisement
I think you're missing my point. Going from a successful High School head coach to a college position coach isn't a huge jump. Saban brought in Pruitt to be a position coach while he was a DC on high school. Ice has worked out as a position coach for us. Malaga has worked out too. Rumph has proven one thing- he can coach a high school team to a championship. He has developed those kids and made that program one to be reckoned with. Becoming a DB coach, with all his experience as a DB and coach isn't such a far jump. Everyone starts somewhere. Look where Pruitt and Malzahn are today! I'm not saying Rumph should be the DC. Just bring him in to coach DB's. I don't think that is a huge stretch.

Trust that Pruitt's don't come around that often. Malzahn was an OC at three different colleges for 5 years before getting a HC job at Arky State before he became a coach at Auburn. Lastly I have faith in Ice being a good coach but what makes you say he has already worked out as a position coach? Way too early to tell. Lastly, if we already had a solid staff in place, then yes give Rumph a chance but we don't. Not only that the DB coach is total trash, we need someone to come in right away and teach these kids the proper technique, a plug and play guy not someone green like Rumph. Also what has Rumph shown in terms of coaching DBs on a concrete level?

Before Malzahn was at any of those schools he was a high school coach. Some college took a chance in him and brought him on board. Same thing here. Take Rumph because he can actually recruit unlike Paul Williams (who pretty much lost Irvin for us), but he was also a great DB here and spent some time in the league. It's his positions he knows it well. Couple that with his coaching experience at heritage and you got a legitimate option for a DB coach. That's all I'm saying. DB coach. Nothing else. I think he can come in and teach these kids proper technique and ball skills. What Dorito does with them after that is a different story, but I think Rumph could get them coached up properly.

weeks TE=pb5cane;2126704]Barrow looking like a genius
Can't wait till the real reason he bolted comes out. Other than Golden and No D sucking a$$

Big Poppa posted a few weeks ago that allegedly, Barrow was involved in a physical altercation with Donofrio and was in essence fired by Golden. Apparently, Barrow had to sign a gag order prohibiting him from speaking about the alleged incident.

I have no idea as to the validity of those assertions but they ring true to me. It would fit perfectly into perception we all have of Al and what a gutless ***** face he is.[/QUOTE]

Are there time limits on gag orders?

I thought the line played well this year, especially considering the injuries. If we're going to fire anyone other than Golden, it has to be the coordinators. I can't see our O doing anything without Duke next year with Coley still in charge. Our D just isn't aggressive enough, and it's time for Golden to hire someone who can run a better D that takes advantage of the talent we have. Position coaches aren't the problem. It's the schemes they are being told to run.
Oh great, throw a eighties Cane guy like Kehoe under the bus to save Al's a$$?

The Dumpster Fire that is this program grows ever brighter.

Advertisement
Back