New OT offer

It is like we are back in the Golden Era with all the offers to these North East kids after we strike out in Florida. Really ******* sad.

True, what happened to locking down the State of Miami Rorcht? Now we're recruiting like Al Gorlden, so I'd rather have Al Golden back if it brings back Jedd Fisch.

Advertisement
This post highlights the biggest myth of the Al Golden era: He offered and took too many northeast players

2013 - AQM, Kevin Olsen, Gus Edwards, & Hunter Knighton

2014 - Courtel, Kiy Hester,

2015 - Njoku

Gus Edwards was plan B to Alex Collins who we lost late. Knighton was a OL (very hard to hit on). Njoku and Jenkins outperformed their rankings. AQM is AQM. Kiy Hester and Kevin Olsen were highly rated kids that didn’t pan out. Jerome Washington was the #1 JUCO TE in the country. Jaime Gordinier looked like a talented player but injuries derailed his career. Jahair Jones, although not our strongest linemen, was still a starter on this team. Hayden Mahoney will be a returning starter and potentially a capable backup if Gaynor or someone else takes his job.

All Golden had a lot of problems, but Northeast recruiting was far from his bigger issues. He was fired because the 2013-2015 teams had a lot of NFL players on them and he couldnt outright win the coastal in his 5 years.

That’s exactly y I just put LOL in my last post.

Thank you. The question surrounded Golden was how did he recruit so many NFL caliber players and do so poorly. That’s y he was fired.

This post highlights the biggest myth of the Al Golden era: He offered and took too many northeast players

2013 - AQM, Kevin Olsen, Gus Edwards, & Hunter Knighton

2014 - Courtel, Kiy Hester,

2015 - Njoku

Gus Edwards was plan B to Alex Collins who we lost late. Knighton was a OL (very hard to hit on). Njoku and Jenkins outperformed their rankings. AQM is AQM. Kiy Hester and Kevin Olsen were highly rated kids that didn’t pan out. Jerome Washington was the #1 JUCO TE in the country. Jaime Gordinier looked like a talented player but injuries derailed his career. Jahair Jones, although not our strongest linemen, was still a starter on this team. Hayden Mahoney will be a returning starter and potentially a capable backup if Gaynor or someone else takes his job.

All Golden had a lot of problems, but Northeast recruiting was far from his bigger issues. He was fired because the 2013-2015 teams had a lot of NFL players on them and he couldnt outright win the coastal in his 5 years.

There are good players up there, but if we are signing more than 1 or 2 NE kids in a class it means we missed on our A and B options in South Fla. That 2013 class had 2 kids from Dade I believe (Carter and Burns)

He's definitely not ready to play anytime soon but he's got the frame to work with.

Advertisement
In true cis fashion I’ll wonder about a position change. He’s so athletic I wonder if he’s not better suited as sde?

I have no issue going after trench guys from the Northeast. Id have major issues if we were ignoring Florida for skill guys but the state isn't exactly churning out OT and DT's this year

It is like we are back in the Golden Era with all the offers to these North East kids after we strike out in Florida. Really ******* sad.
It’s crazy that there is a slew of 3star SFL guys we have completely ignored, but are out searching in thrift stores for OL

Advertisement
It’s crazy that there is a slew of 3star SFL guys we have completely ignored, but are out searching in thrift stores for OL

To be fair (and I say this as a huge SFL guy), this local class isn’t loaded with tackles. Most of the OL talent is inside.

So it makes sense to look outside the area for tackle bodies given our need there.

There are good players up there, but if we are signing more than 1 or 2 NE kids in a class it means we missed on our A and B options in South Fla. That 2013 class had 2 kids from Dade I believe (Carter and Burns)

The 2013 class had two players from Dade but was ranked 14th in the country. Talent was not the issue. We also landed Grace & Coley in 2013.

PS: 2013 class was a top heavy year for south Florida. Everyone knows the Alex Collins story. A lot of the top guys (Jordan Cunningham, Quay Bain, Michael Deeb) that CiS posters begged Golden & Co. to pursue didn't end up panning out. LSU got Rashard Robinson, remember his recruitment was weird. Eddie Jackson blew up late. We should've offered him earlier but that misstep led him to Bama. Golden ****ed up Denver Kirkland's recruitment as well. The Cloud was a real thing with the 2013 class as well.

The Denver Kirkland recruitment was the first major mistake Al Golden made. Along with It proved to shine light on how Golden's stubbornness and rigid approach would be his downfall

88720636-0D79-48E8-97FC-1E13885EF290.gif

Problem with Golden is he was offering the wrong kids in the northeast. (Njoku and Courtel aside)

There’s talent in the NJ/NY area.

Some, but not a lot. I played HS ball in both NY and FL. In football, you cant even compare the amount of quality athletes here in Florida to NY. Great team in NY had a few D1 prospects that didn’t amount to much. Mediocre FL team was littered with D1 talent.

Advertisement
To be fair (and I say this as a huge SFL guy), this local class isn’t loaded with tackles. Most of the OL talent is inside.

So it makes sense to look outside the area for tackle bodies given our need there.
Mark Fox? JakePope? That's 2 local

This maybe true, but what bothers me the most is the lack of foresight and planning. If Richt knew SFL was light on tackles, start the search process earlier, extend conditional offers earlier, show some love to the prospects earlier, rather than looking like a kid trying to find a prom date 2 days before the dance

Advertisement
This maybe true, but what bothers me the most is the lack of foresight and planning. If Richt knew SFL was light on tackles, start the search process earlier, extend conditional offers earlier, show some love to the prospects earlier, rather than looking like a kid trying to find a prom date 2 days before the dance

No doubt, OL recruiting is a disaster.

I'm ok with going north to recruit linemen. The ones down here never seem to pan out.

Advertisement
Back