NEW NIL Guidelines

Advertisement
The discussion around the state of NIL is heating up. Thursday night, a report surfaced saying leaders in college sports are pushing the NCAA to enforce new guidelines.

Sports Illustrated’s Ross Dellenger said college leaders want the NCAA to start investigating recruiting violations. Not just future problems, but some in the past, as well. Colorado athletic director Rick George is among the athletic directors Dellenger cited who said NIL Collectives are violating deals by lining up deals for players before they sign with programs.

“Just because we have NIL, it doesn’t eliminate the rules,” George said, via Dellenger. “Everybody is like ‘It’s NIL!’ I am totally in favor of NIL done right. It’s really good. [Athletes] should be able to monetize their NIL, but a lot of what’s going on out there is not NIL.”

Current NCAA rules don’t allow boosters to get involved with recruiting, but an accusation of tampering came in the last week. Pittsburgh wide receiver Jordan Addison opted to enter the transfer portal just ahead of the May 1 deadline, but before he did, reports surfaced about a potential NIL deal if he decided to head to USC to play for Lincoln Riley. That came out before Addison officially entered the portal, which is why Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi called Riley regarding the situation.

That’s not the only time it’s come up, though. Earlier in the offseason, The Athletic reported an unnamed five-star recruit had an $8 million NIL deal waiting for them once they committed.

Advertisement
Tried to tell people that the NCAA was gonna try to bite back...

I love John Ruiz, I root for LifeWallet to kick a$$, I just wish he'd take things down a notch or two. No need to offer up a "this is what we are trying to address" example for the NCAA.

Move (and kill) in silence.

Advertisement
My opinion:

1. This is a scare tactic that will be almost impossible to enforce.

2. All you need is an intermediary (a non-booster) to facilitate everything. Which the smart schools are already doing.

3. I'd be interested to see how this effects collectives. Is everyone who gives to a collective a booster?

Advertisement
𝐹𝑖𝑔𝑢𝑟𝑒𝑑 𝑖𝑡 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑎 𝑚𝑎𝑡𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑜𝑓 𝑡𝑖𝑚𝑒 𝑏𝑒𝑓𝑜𝑟𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑁𝐶𝐴𝐴 𝑚𝑎𝑘𝑒𝑠 𝑢𝑝 𝑎 𝑟𝑎𝑛𝑑𝑜𝑚 𝑟𝑢𝑙𝑒 𝑡𝑜 𝑡𝑟𝑦 𝑡𝑜 𝑒𝑛𝑓𝑜𝑟𝑐𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑠, 𝑔𝑜𝑡 𝑡𝑜 𝑏𝑒 ℎ𝑜𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑡 𝑖𝑡 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑔𝑒𝑡𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑝𝑟𝑒𝑡𝑡𝑦 𝑤𝑖𝑙𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑙𝑎𝑠𝑡 𝑐𝑜𝑢𝑝𝑙𝑒 𝑤𝑒𝑒𝑘𝑠 𝑒𝑠𝑝𝑒𝑐𝑖𝑎𝑙𝑙𝑦 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝐴𝑑𝑑𝑖𝑠𝑜𝑛 𝑠𝑖𝑡𝑢𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛

How can it be retroactive when there was no rules in place? That’s bs

I've talked about this before. You are right, there were not many NIL rules.

But there have AAAAAALWAYS been booster rules. I tried to tell people that those rules never disappeared.

@IndayArtHauz might be right, this could be a big scare tactic. But the NCAA has been successfully scaring schools straight for decades.

Advertisement
So the NCAA thinks all of these transfer portal kids and HS recruits don't talk NIL before signing? LOL okay.

Rules the NCAA should put in place:
1) Tampering with athletes prior to entering their name into the Portal. (Addison situation and many more).

2) Enforcing an NIL cap. Maybe do $500,000K/player cap? Obviously some guys are worth way more and some way less. Idk but if QBs are making 8 million dollars before throwing a football in a real game, that's insane. These college athletes work their *** off but are also being spoiled.

IDK what the **** the NCAA should do honestly. They screwed up by allowing this to be a free market and then not liking how that was going.

My opinion:

1. This is a scare tactic that will be almost impossible to enforce.

2. All you need is an intermediary (a non-booster) to facilitate everything. Which the smart schools are already doing.

3. I'd be interested to see how this effects collectives. Is everyone who gives to a collective a booster?
They talked a lot of sht about collectives and it’s not about that. They aren’t going to touch any sec’s go fund me page.
It’s about the non blue bloods getting players that the blue bloods wanted. Cfb has exploded in the last 20 years and those schools have been swimming in cash. They are gonna do everything they can to keep the status quo.
Even if they have to break the bank their gonna give money to the ncaa to go after those who aren’t part of the club.

Advertisement
Back