New NCAA redshirt rule

Agree with this approach.

Stashing healthy players until late in the season would not make sense unless they were lower in the depth chart and promoted due to injuries to players ahead of them, or injured in the preseason or early season but the injuries were not ‘season-ending’.

For example, Cam Davis may be 5th on the depth chart at RB, behind Homer, Dallas, Lingard, and Burns. He gets no PT throughout the season. But, in late November, Burns and Lingard both get minor injuries. In theory, Davis could play the last four games of the season and still return in 2019 as a RS Freshman.

Or, if this rule was in effect last season, Richt could have sat Ahmon Richards until he was 100% healthy. If Richards played in 4 games or less he could have returned in 2019 as RS Sophomore.

Advertisement
CMR may not have been reluctant to use Perry or Weldon instead of just Sheiriffs when Rozier faltered for fear of burning their redshirt
What did I miss, though?

When at any point has either of them demonstrated that they could do any better than Rosier?

I think it’s a false dichotomy to assume that pulling Rosier in those games would have changed the outcomes when neither player has shown even the slightest chance of winning the starting job.

It’s a foolish notion that the only reason Richt kept Perry on the bench was to preserve his shirt. Perry will play the moment he gives us the best opportunity to win. Period.

Advertisement
Stashing healthy players until late in the season would not make sense unless they were lower in the depth chart and promoted due to injuries to players ahead of them, or injured in the preseason or early season but the injuries were not ‘season-ending’.

For example, Cam Davis may be 5th on the depth chart at RB, behind Homer, Dallas, Lingard, and Burns. He gets no PT throughout the season. But, in late November, Burns and Lingard both get minor injuries. In theory, Davis could play the last four games of the season and still return in 2019 as a RS Freshman.

Or, if this rule was in effect last season, Richt could have sat Ahmon Richards until he was 100% healthy. If Richards played in 4 games or less he could have returned in 2019 as RS Sophomore.
Richards is not a good example. If he has the season people expect this year he is gone whether he got a red shirt last year or not.

What did I miss, though?

When at any point has either of them demonstrated that they could do any better than Rosier?

I think it’s a false dichotomy to assume that pulling Rosier in those games would have changed the outcomes when neither player has shown even the slightest chance of winning the starting job.

It’s a foolish notion that the only reason Richt kept Perry on the bench was to preserve his shirt. Perry will play the moment he gives us the best opportunity to win. Period.

Neither of us knows the actual reason why Rosier wasn't pulled but I don't think even the most ardent Rosier supporter would deny that he should have been during some periods.

This isn't an ALL or nothing discussion, at least on my part. I've said on numerous occasions I don't care whose starting as long as we win

I'm simply stated that there were stretches when we could/should have tried alternatives when the primary clearly wasn't working.

If you're saying that you'd stick it out with someone even if he's obviously having a very, very bad day.....then we simply disagree

Richards is not a good example. If he has the season people expect this year he is gone whether he got a red shirt last year or not.

I selected Richards as an example due to the hamstring injury he seemed struggled with most of the season. Whether he leaves early for the NFL is not the point. A backup LT could just as easily fall in the same scenario.

I expect these guys to redshirt under this new rule

Williams
Davis
Wiggins
Ezzard
Reed
Scaife
Campbell
Miller
Joyner
Bethel

Advertisement
I expect these guys to redshirt under this new rule

Williams
Davis
Wiggins
Ezzard
Reed
Scaife
Campbell
Miller
Joyner
Bethel

Nothing wrong with your list, just for conversation sake, I don't think Reed redshirts, and I think there's a good chance Bethel doesn't either. Bethel could be really valuable on ST and we just don't have the depth at CB that we need to get through a 14+ game season. I personally see Al Blades as a more likely redshirt candidate than Bethel. Want me to explain why? I can't, really, just my opinion. Reed could easily be in the rotation on OLine, if the hype is real.

With Gurvan coming off injury, I could see him playing in 4 games and redshirting. I could see Jordan Miller going either way. If we are able to redshirt him, it will be a good sign.

This is going to be an interesting dynamic to follow as the season goes along.

Advertisement
Back