New Look O-Line

Johhny Cadillac

Freshman
With the new guys coming in. Will next years line look drastically different? I mean everyone's gonna have to compete now in practice.

Advertisement
Don't be surprised to see Gaynor walk in and take a run at someone's job. He's tough and strong and mean.

Don't be surprised to see Gaynor walk in and take a run at someone's job. He's tough and strong and mean.

I think he'll pass Linder at some point this year

I'll be surprised to see Linder start this year unless he drastically improves his strength. He was an embarrassment in that Notre Dame game. Gaynor is already better than him.

Advertisement
It is way too early to project a starting oline for next season. But here is my best guess at the 2 deep. Pretty much assume they will be battling it out at each spot.

LT- George Brown or Kai Leon Herbert (may still need to get his strength and conditioning up before her can start)

LG- Tyler Gauthier (was grading out at a high level at the end of the season) or KC McDermitt (huge bust at this point)

C- Nick Linder (had some injuries last year, I know most do not believe in him at this point or Corey Gaynor (FUTURE STUD)

RG- Trevor Darling (not a tackle could be better suited at guard) or Navaughn Donaldson (if he doesn't win out at RT)

RT- Navaughn Donaldson (mostly likely freshman lineman to start) or Tyree St Louis (another disappointing lineman from Golden era, has talent)

This group will definitely improve. I think Richt focused a lot of his recruiting energy on the oline this year, cuz we all saw how flat the offense was when the oline would not show up. Golden screwed us so hard. Our tackles were turnstiles and our guards and centers lethargic. This will no longer be the case under CMR and Coach Searels!

Last edited:
well its nice to finally have debt at that position guys wasn't able to go whole season at their position, because of the tackle and center position being so weak lead foot kaaya got sacked 80% of time unless he got a pass rythem without playaction.

Advertisement
It is way too early to project a starting oline for next season. But here is my best guess at the 2 deep. Pretty much assume they will be battling it out at each spot.

LT- George Brown or Kai Leon Herbert (may still need to get his strength and conditioning up before her can start)

LG- Tyler Gauthier (was grading out at a high level at the end of the season) or KC McDermitt (huge bust at this point)

C- Nick Linder (had some injuries last year, I know most do not believe in him at this point or Corey Gaynor (FUTURE STUD)

RG- Trevor Darling (not a tackle could be better suited at guard) or Navaughn Donaldson (if he doesn't win out at RT)

RT- Navaughn Donaldson (mostly likely freshman lineman to start) or Tyree St Louis (another disappointing lineman from Golden era, has talent)

This group will definitely improve. I think Richt focused a lot of his recruiting energy on the oline this year, cuz we all saw how flat the offense was when the oline would not show up. Golden screwed us so hard. Our tackles were turnstiles and our guards and centers lethargic. This will no longer be the case under CMR and Coach Searels!

dykstra or hillery don't crack the two deep?

dykstra or hillery don't crack the two deep?

Lineman is one of the toughest positions to come right in and contribute. It doesn't have to do with talent but more of a strength and conditioning issue. I like both those prospects a ton, but if we have to count on them immediately we might be in for another rough year on the oline.

Even though Darling, McDermitt, and Linder have all been very disappointing over the years; they are still Seniors and we will need them to have success. No matter how many times we have seen them suck *** over the years.

Advertisement
Line of scrimmage is where games are won or lost IMO...
We need to keep the Defense going and get a mean no BS Oline

Is Linder going to finally be healthy? Gaynor is going to take his job and his lunch money either way, but a healthy Linder will help us inside depth wise. He hasn't been close to 100% since his freshman year. I think we see good guard play this year with Darling and Gauthier there, and St. Louis improved his play at the end of the year. He and Sunny should have a nice battle for RT. I think Donaldson will take a year to whip into shape. Brown at LT.

Lets temper the expectation on the true frosh. At this rate, some of you will be calling these kids busts if they dont start next year.

Advertisement
Is Linder going to finally be healthy? Gaynor is going to take his job and his lunch money either way, but a healthy Linder will help us inside depth wise. He hasn't been close to 100% since his freshman year. I think we see good guard play this year with Darling and Gauthier there, and St. Louis improved his play at the end of the year. He and Sunny should have a nice battle for RT. I think Donaldson will take a year to whip into shape. Brown at LT.

The good thing is that Donaldson is early enrolled so that will give him the needed time to get ready. If you haven't seen a photo of him lately he already looks like he is dropping bad weight.

LT -- McDermitt or Brown (Whoever doesn't start is the first off the bench or pushes St. Louis)
RG -- Darling (although i'm not in the camp that he is even going to be a good guard. Doesnt maul the **** out of people, but he is top 5 OL)
C -- Gauthier
RG -- Donaldson
RT -- St. Louis

I think we did a great job on the line this year. Gaynor is going to be good because of everything Chise said above. Dykstra has the benefit of getting here early, Hillary and Herbert are solid prospects for both tackle spots. Probably some of the best prospects we've had there in a long time. I think Donaldson cracks the starting line up, but unless he drastically changes his body in the next 6 months, which is very possible, i think he starts off inside. I forgot about Sunny and I hope he comes back, but he's been hurt a lot

The good thing is that Donaldson is early enrolled so that will give him the needed time to get ready. If you haven't seen a photo of him lately he already looks like he is dropping bad weight.

It is good that he's in early. But the really big o-linemen always seem to take a year to get up to speed. I'll happily eat crow on this though. He's an immense talent. Reminds me of Vernon Carey. But VC redshirted himself. Anyway, IMHO your assessment on o-line depth is pretty spot on. I think people will be surprised by our guard play this year. I'm mostly nervous at LT. We have a couple good candidates to start at every other position.

Advertisement
Back