New Look O-Line

Advertisement
McDermott didn't do a terrible job out at LT. I'm not sure how he and Linder regressed so badly, but I think we can still count on some contribution from them. If not, we at least have two bad mothaf*ckas in Donaldson and Gaynor.

I also look forward to seeing if St. Louis and Gauthier can build from this year and Darling at guard. O-Line might not be too bad next season

LT -- McDermitt or Brown (Whoever doesn't start is the first off the bench or pushes St. Louis)
RG -- Darling (although i'm not in the camp that he is even going to be a good guard. Doesnt maul the **** out of people, but he is top 5 OL)
C -- Gauthier
RG -- Donaldson
RT -- St. Louis

I think we did a great job on the line this year. Gaynor is going to be good because of everything Chise said above. Dykstra has the benefit of getting here early, Hillary and Herbert are solid prospects for both tackle spots. Probably some of the best prospects we've had there in a long time. I think Donaldson cracks the starting line up, but unless he drastically changes his body in the next 6 months, which is very possible, i think he starts off inside. I forgot about Sunny and I hope he comes back, but he's been hurt a lot

Donaldson is the type of athlete who could play either position G or T, and we do have needs at both. But I am inclined to think that the greater need will end up being at tackle.

You consistently hear knowledgeable talent evaluators praising his quick feet. We just do not have tackles like that on our team at the moment. Even at 340 pounds (which he will most def not be weighing by the time the season starts) he moves his feet significantly better than McDermitt, Darling, Sunny and St.Louis. It's because of tackles like those guys that Kaya took a beating for all those years. Hoping Donaldson can get down to 310 or 315 by the time the season gets started.

McDermott was terrible at LT. I hope the staff finds a better solution at LT unless he improves big time.

Advertisement
O line has a ways to go imo. They were awful last year and we added some nice pieces, but im not convinced that this position will be that much better next year. I would of like to add a juco or 2. Donaldson to me is the only one ready to contribute immediately.

I would love to hear some insight on George Brown. If he is starting caliber at LT that does a lot to put our OL in a good position. Would be great to hear if anyone has tidbits as to how he's done since being on campus

Advertisement
I would love to hear some insight on George Brown. If he is starting caliber at LT that does a lot to put our OL in a good position. Would be great to hear if anyone has tidbits as to how he's done since being on campus

Brown was getting second team reps at LT during practices for the bowl game. This probably had a lot to do with our lack of depth at the position. But it does give an indication that he is being considered for the starting position this season. Richt is not going to bring in any more guards to play left tackle like the previous staff. The only reason it took fans so long to catch on to this is because Golden lucked out with Erick Flowers in the early part of his tenure. The oline that Richt inherited was pedestrian at best.

if yall think all of these true freshman ol are gonna come in and start or play...our season will be in TANK.

Donaldson and Gaynor maybe the only two i see coming in right away.

I love this ol class though. The one im least bullish on is Kai Herbert...and i dont think he sucks or anything...just probably needs a redshirt year to gain strength and reshape body a bit, get use to this level talent.

It is way too early to project a starting oline for next season. But here is my best guess at the 2 deep. Pretty much assume they will be battling it out at each spot.

LT- George Brown or Kai Leon Herbert (may still need to get his strength and conditioning up before her can start)

LG- Tyler Gauthier (was grading out at a high level at the end of the season) or KC McDermitt (huge bust at this point)

C- Nick Linder (had some injuries last year, I know most do not believe in him at this point or Corey Gaynor (FUTURE STUD)

RG- Trevor Darling (not a tackle could be better suited at guard) or Navaughn Donaldson (if he doesn't win out at RT)

RT- Navaughn Donaldson (mostly likely freshman lineman to start) or Tyree St Louis (another disappointing lineman from Golden era, has talent)

This group will definitely improve. I think Richt focused a lot of his recruiting energy on the oline this year, cuz we all saw how flat the offense was when the oline would not show up. Golden screwed us so hard. Our tackles were turnstiles and our guards and centers lethargic. This will no longer be the case under CMR and Coach Searels!

dykstra or hillery don't crack the two deep?

Don't think so as freshman. Gaynor brings a whole lot of toughness and a mean streak we need in the middle of the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Linder was a huge problem last year, but lets hope it was all due to injury, because he's likely going to get the 1st crack at the job. I love this OL class we brought in, and the only guy I'd be surprised to get quality PT would be Dykstra.
Gaynor just looks like he's going to be our starting center soon enough. Donaldson is definitely getting solid PT game 1. And Herbert and Hillery are easily going to be better than at least half the guys currently on the roster.

Nick Linder started at C as a freshmen and did well.

These 2 were ranked about the same coming out with Corey (6'4, 282) been a little bigger than Nick (6'3, 273) and a lot nastier.

4_883130.jpg
Vs.
4_4977719.jpg

Nick Linder, St. Thomas Aquinas, Center (FB)
Nick Linder: 5.60 40 (5.53 best), 5.05 20, 21 reps of 225, 405 squat, 252 power clean, 320 bench press, 27.5 vertical (Freshmen year)

Corey Gaynor, Marjory Stoneman Douglas, Offensive Guard

If Nick is healthy, I think he will start for his SR year.
4_2991750.jpg

6'3 300

Last edited:
Advertisement
Nick Linder started at C as a freshmen and did well.

These 2 were ranked about the same coming out with Corey (6'4, 282) been a little bigger than Nick (6'3, 273) and a lot nastier.

4_883130.jpg
Vs.
4_4977719.jpg

Nick Linder, St. Thomas Aquinas, Center (FB)
Nick Linder: 5.60 40 (5.53 best), 5.05 20, 21 reps of 225, 405 squat, 252 power clean, 320 bench press, 27.5 vertical (Freshmen year)

Corey Gaynor, Marjory Stoneman Douglas, Offensive Guard

If Nick is healthy, I think he will start for his SR year.
4_2991750.jpg

6'3 300

I really don't want a frosh starting center. The hope would be that Donaldson takes RG and it lets Gauthier battle it out with Linder for C.

Hopefully one of them can take McDermott's spot. Kid can't block anyone plus gets multiple penalties each game.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back