New Logo Trademark

I've always loved the split U, I never liked it as a font for all the other letters.

I always thought the "U of M/University of Miami" hat was redundant, but it was also EVERYWHERE, we all had one.

It was the teams of 2000-2002 and stuff like Kellen Winslow's tirade that made "The U" a big thing, and that carried over into merchandise.

Before that, we had "It's a Cane Thing" and not too much else in the way of slogans. For logos, it was the U, the M, and Sebastian. I don't know if I ever saw the Hurricane Warning Flags. ****, I used to wear a Student Government Productions t-shirt that was black and had the flags on it, and I think that was the only thing I owned that had the warning flags.

In the late 80s, Ira Miller and some other guys created a "Stormfront" spirit organization (long before white supremacists took that name), and this was around the time of the Billy Joel album "Stormfront", so there was a brief period of time when the hurricane warning flags were starting to gain somevisibility. The organization ended up dying off, and since then, very little has been done with the flags BESIDES being used as car flags. And for TD celebrations.
[/QUOTE
In the Hendricks era, I seem to remember the warning flags on the helmet.

Advertisement
Seriously, you are going to turn into a little ***** every time someone mentions North Carolina? This isn't the first time you've done this.

As a sports representation, we used it first, Carolina took it from us. It may be legal (just as it was legal for the guy who wrote the "Miami Dolphins" song to sell it to the Houston Oilers when Joe Robbie wouldn't pay him), but Miami was clearly first.

As for Tulsa, they are the Golden Hurricane SINGULAR. A TORNADO. Tulsa's nickname was originally the Golden Tornadoes. They are idiots for using, as you pointed out, the MARITIME hurricane warning flag when they are named for a TORNADO and they are in a land-locked state.

And, YES, Toledo stole that SPORTS USAGE from Miami. You want to know HOW I know that Tulsa is the "golden hurricane"? Because Miami played Tulsa THREE TIMES when I was in school, 1986, 1988, and 1991 (the 1986 and 1988 games were IN MIAMI). And they NEVER used the hurricane warning flags before they saw us doing it.

So, yes, Miami was by far the first to use the hurricane warning flags for sports purposes. Carolina didn't get a hockey team until 1997 and Tulsa's athletic department is very confused and misguided, having taken it from us when they saw it in the 80s and 90s.

I don’t care one bit about the hockey team up here but it’s absurd to act like Miami owns a flag that they didn’t invent. It’s a new franchise that uses hurricane warning flags bc they are the hurricanes. It’s a crazy idea I know. I guess every team that uses a paw for a logo bc they are tigers or wildcats or whatever copied that too right?

My Marine Biology teacher growing up had the biggest Flag in the stadium at the OB. They would always show him on TV waving that thing. His name is Gerard Louisel and is a big part of the Hurricane Alumni.

I don’t care one bit about the hockey team up here but it’s absurd to act like Miami owns a flag that they didn’t invent. It’s a new franchise that uses hurricane warning flags bc they are the hurricanes. It’s a crazy idea I know. I guess every team that uses a paw for a logo bc they are tigers or wildcats or whatever copied that too right?

Stop being a douchebag.

There is a difference between "legal ownership" and somebody "stealing" something from us that we were the first to use.

Miami started flying hurricane warning flags at football games in the 1950s. Everyone else that uses it FOR SPORTS took that from us.

Just start rooting for the Tarheels and spare us your North-Carolina-defending posts. Seriously, about 1,000 of your posts have been about "defending the good name of North Carolina".

In the Hendricks era, I seem to remember the warning flags on the helmet.

Yeah, but this idiotic NC poster is going to focus on "legal ownership".

As per usual, Miami did it first, and everyone else who does it is copying us. Stealing from us. Not in a "legal ownership" sense, of course.

Advertisement
Stop being a douchebag.

There is a difference between "legal ownership" and somebody "stealing" something from us that we were the first to use.

Miami started flying hurricane warning flags at football games in the 1950s. Everyone else that uses it FOR SPORTS took that from us.

Just start rooting for the Tarheels and spare us your North-Carolina-defending posts. Seriously, about 1,000 of your posts have been about "defending the good name of North Carolina".

Lmao the hockey team has nothing to do with “defending North Carolina.” It’s common sense that a team called the Hurricanes that’s red black and white, use a national hurricane warning flag that happens to be red and black as one of its logos. Groundbreaking stuff I know.

I have no idea what’s so hard about that to understand. It has nothing to do with anybody but that team. I understand Miami was the first to use it in sports, but that doesnt mean a hockey team stole it.

Lmao the hockey team has nothing to do with “defending North Carolina.” It’s common sense that a team called the Hurricanes that’s red black and white, use a national hurricane warning flag that happens to be red and black as one of its logos. Groundbreaking stuff I know.

I have no idea what’s so hard about that to understand. It has nothing to do with anybody but that team. I understand Miami was the first to use it in sports, but that doesnt mean a hockey team stole it.

Bullsh!te. You jump into any thread that mentions North Carolina in a negative fashion.

Stop being a little NC *****. Before North Carolina stole the Whalers from Hartford, the colors were blue, green, and white. They changed the name and the colors when they moved to North Carolina IN 1997, and obviously the colors match the hurricane warning flags. You disingenuously act as if that is some sort of "coincidence".

Miami did it first. Then Tulsa stole it. Then the hockey team stole it, so they aren't even the most original thieves.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Bullsh!te. You jump into any thread that mentions North Carolina in a negative fashion.

Stop being a little NC *****. Before North Carolina stole the Whalers from Hartford, the colors were blue, green, and white. They changed the name and the colors when they moved to North Carolina, and obviously the colors match the hurricane warning flags. You disingenuously act as if that is some sort of "coincidence".

Miami did it first. Then Tulsa stole it. Then the hockey team stole it, so they aren't even the most original thieves.

Ah yes now we’re to the point of the conversation where we blame states for owners moving their teams. NC stole the Whalers, Oklahoma stole the Sonics, and so on. You use the term “stole” very loosely.

Also if you are suggesting the colors are a match to the flag, doesn’t that mean they did it solely for the flag bc they were nicknamed the hurricanes? What ******** man. Who nicknames a team and then matches colors to an already nationally known flag? Definitely stole that idea from somebody

Big flan of the hurricane maritime flag. In fact, I fly one on my car all football season.
DependentIndelibleFruitfly-size_restricted.gif

Advertisement
Ah yes now we’re to the point of the conversation where we blame states for owners moving their teams. NC stole the Whalers, Oklahoma stole the Sonics, and so on. You use the term “stole” very loosely.

Also if you are suggesting the colors are a match to the flag, doesn’t that mean they did it solely for the flag bc they were nicknamed the hurricanes? What ******** man. Who nicknames a team and then matches colors to an already nationally known flag? Definitely stole that idea from somebody

Let me see if I understand.

First, you somehow missed every single time when I acknowledged the difference between "legal ownership theft" and "stealing something that someone else started". Wow. So now you are concluding that I used the term "stole" very loosely, when I have admitted that all along. You are some sort of genius.

Second, are you trying to claim that the Carolina hockey franchise selected the Hurricanes name in 1997, selected red and black colors in 1997, and then LATER, in an UNRELATED coincidence, realized in 1997 that the hurricane warning flags were the EXACT SAME COLOR? And then created their very first jersey in 1997 which had hurricane warning flags on it. Yeah, sounds plausible. Do some research on your precious Carolina hockey team, unlike almost every other new sports franchise which solicits input from fans on the team name, everything for the Carolina hockey team (name, colors, logos, etc.) was chosen by the owner.

Everyone knows the truth, even if you are so desperate to white-knight your beloved North Carolina that you try to play dumb. Miami came up with the sports use of the hurricane warning flags in the 1950s. Tulsa spotted us in the 1980s and copied our use of the flags, even though they are land-locked and named after a tornado. Carolina copied our team nickname AND our use of the flags in the 1990s.

And you're going to whine like a ***** because I used the word "stole". Loosely.

Last edited:
There, I loved it so much, I’ve changed my avatar. I had my inner child create this, I’m so proud of him!

Advertisement
Let me see if I understand.

First, you somehow missed every single time when I acknowledged the difference between "legal ownership theft" and "stealing something that someone else started". Wow. So now you are concluding that I used the term "stole" very loosely, when I have admitted that all along. You are some sort of genius.

Second, are you trying to claim that the Carolina hockey franchise selected the Hurricanes name in 1997, selected red and black colors in 1997, and then LATER, in an UNRELATED coincidence, realized in 1997 that the hurricane warning flags were the EXACT SAME COLOR? And then created their very first jersey in 1997 which had hurricane warning flags on it. Yeah, sounds plausible. Do some research on your precious Carolina hockey team, unlike almost every other new sports franchise which solicits input from fans on the team name, everything for the Carolina hockey team (name, colors, logos, etc.) was chosen by the owner.

Everyone knows the truth, even if you are so desperate to white-knight your beloved North Carolina that you try to play dumb. Miami came up with the sports use of the hurricane warning flags in the 1950s. Tulsa spotted us in the 1980s and copied our use of the flags, even though they are land-locked and named after a tornado. Carolina copied our team nickname AND our use of the flags in the 1990s.

And you're going to whine like a ***** because I used the word "stole". Loosely.

You don’t understand sarcasm do you? Yea I know they are red and black bc it matches the flag, which doesn’t prove any bit of your point. He used a nickname and colors to match a nationally recognized flag, as well as a new logo. Sounds to me like it was a good decision and easy marketing.

And if you are now gonna act like any body nicknamed the Hurricanes also stole Miami’s name bc Miami had it first, that would mean Miami ripped off Tulsa’s name. They became the Golden hurricanes before we were the Hurricanes. So that point you made about stealing the name is also illegitimate and ridiculous

Advertisement
Back