New Logo Trademark

Well, they failed right there. Need not go any further.

Don't forget, the "It's all about the U" didn't really start until the 2000s. We could have sold more U logo stuff in the 80s and 90s, but it wasn't in as high demand as it is today.

When I bought baseball hats in the 80s and 90s, I preferred the old english "M" hats.

This is the OG Miami hat:

And then this one was big too, or at least the original version, this one is slightly different:

Advertisement
Erickson-era hat that we all rocked back in the day:

1565019741618.png
1565019741618.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Don't forget, the "It's all about the U" didn't really start until the 2000s. We could have sold more U logo stuff in the 80s and 90s, but it wasn't in as high demand as it is today.

When I bought baseball hats in the 80s and 90s, I preferred the old english "M" hats.

This is the OG Miami hat:

And then this one was big too, or at least the original version, this one is slightly different:

Yeah, I remember when I was a student there (97-01) "The U" wasn't the thing it is today. The university itself still mainly branded as that barred Miami letter font. People didn't really hold up The U either, though I'm aware it had been seen before. Not really sure when The U blew up to what it is today, but it was definitely after that time.

Advertisement
Yeah, I remember when I was a student there (97-01) "The U" wasn't the thing it is today. The university itself still mainly branded as that barred Miami letter font. People didn't really hold up The U either, though I'm aware it had been seen before. Not really sure when The U blew up to what it is today, but it was definitely after that time.

I've always loved the split U, I never liked it as a font for all the other letters.

I always thought the "U of M/University of Miami" hat was redundant, but it was also EVERYWHERE, we all had one.

It was the teams of 2000-2002 and stuff like Kellen Winslow's tirade that made "The U" a big thing, and that carried over into merchandise.

Before that, we had "It's a Cane Thing" and not too much else in the way of slogans. For logos, it was the U, the M, and Sebastian. I don't know if I ever saw the Hurricane Warning Flags. ****, I used to wear a Student Government Productions t-shirt that was black and had the flags on it, and I think that was the only thing I owned that had the warning flags.

In the late 80s, Ira Miller and some other guys created a "Stormfront" spirit organization (long before white supremacists took that name), and this was around the time of the Billy Joel album "Stormfront", so there was a brief period of time when the hurricane warning flags were starting to gain some visibility. The organization ended up dying off, and since then, very little has been done with the flags BESIDES being used as car flags. And for TD celebrations.

This is likely to be a secondary logo, which is AWESOME, since Nike created, AND OWNS, the clam.

1. Nike create the clam because they didn't want to pay John Routh royalties for his Sebastian logo.
2. Overjoyed to be rid of the clam.
2. Happy that we are not letting our shoe-provider own any of our stuff anymore.
4. Always felt that we were under-utilizing the hurricane warning flags, which have largely been stolen by the hockey team in Carolina.
5. Would love to see Hard Rock do more on game days to fly the flags outside and inside the stadium. And, hey, even the Dolphins could use it. I'd much rather share "our thing" with a South Florida pro team rather than a team in North Carolina.

By the way, does anyone know if the Tennessee Titans still use the "Miami Dolphins" song? Joe Robbie wouldn't pay the guy, so he sold the rights to the song to the Houston Oilers.

Lol at “stolen” by the hockey team in Carolina. It’s a US maritime flag nobody owns it. I’m gurssing Tulsa “stole” it too?

Advertisement
Lol at “stolen” by the hockey team in Carolina. It’s a US maritime flag nobody owns it. I’m gurssing Tulsa “stole” it too?

Seriously, you are going to turn into a little ***** every time someone mentions North Carolina? This isn't the first time you've done this.

As a sports representation, we used it first, Carolina took it from us. It may be legal (just as it was legal for the guy who wrote the "Miami Dolphins" song to sell it to the Houston Oilers when Joe Robbie wouldn't pay him), but Miami was clearly first.

As for Tulsa, they are the Golden Hurricane SINGULAR. A TORNADO. Tulsa's nickname was originally the Golden Tornadoes. They are idiots for using, as you pointed out, the MARITIME hurricane warning flag when they are named for a TORNADO and they are in a land-locked state.

And, YES, Toledo stole that SPORTS USAGE from Miami. You want to know HOW I know that Tulsa is the "golden hurricane"? Because Miami played Tulsa THREE TIMES when I was in school, 1986, 1988, and 1991 (the 1986 and 1988 games were IN MIAMI). The games in Miami are important, because the warning flags are almost solely used for TD celebrations, which are not seen on TV, and which we do not take on away games (1991). And Tulsa NEVER used the hurricane warning flags in any significant on-field capacity before they saw us doing it.

So, yes, Miami was by far the first to use the hurricane warning flags for sports purposes. Carolina didn't get a hockey team until 1997 and Tulsa's athletic department is very confused and misguided, having taken it from us when they saw it in the 80s and 90s.

The "Smoke"
The traditional Hurricane "smoke" entrance in the Orange Bowl began in the 1950s. In an attempt to increase fan interest, UM transportation director Bob Nalette came up with the idea of using fire extinguishers to produce the now-famous smoke that Hurricanes run through as they enter the field. In his spare time 40 years ago, Nalette welded the pipe together that even today billow smoke from the top of the Hurricanes’ entrance tunnel. The original set up included flashing lights, two large hurricane flags and a tape of a hurricane being blasted over the loud speaker. The flags and lights are now gone but the smoke and sound track still remain.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back