New Kids on the Block...

REALLY excited about all the 2017 class getting in and starting their Summer sessions. Three kids I really feel like will help this year as Freshmen are:

1) Jeff Thomas... I think he is going to be even better than we think.
2) Kai-Leon Herbert ... from what I've heard he played hurt all last season, he's now 100%, I think he is going to play early.
3) Jon Ford.... I think he gets in the 2 deep by the FSU game and makes some plays for us at DT.

Good with 1 & 2. I have to disagree with 3. Perry has to be in the top 3 since we have a major need at QB and look good on the two deep at DT. We need Ford to be a player for 2018 so I hope that happens.

My list
1) Perry- As stated, we need a QB and while I think Perry isn't the starter game one, I do think Perry gets more and more PT through the year.
2) Top from Dean/Bandy/Delenay- Gut says Delenay starts and Dean/Bandy fight for PT when they pull a LB for a DB. Best five play so I could see Quan, Redwine, Carter, Young, Delenay but think we are too thin at S. My guess would be Bandy vs Dean with Young playing wide or "nickle".
3) Thomas - think he is a major addition to an OK WR group. If he can get on the field (learn the book!), he could be the guy to force the safety to be honest vs cheating over Richards.

Herbert and Ford are needed in 2018 in a big way.

Advertisement
Herbert is not gonna play early in a meaningful role, if at all, barring injury.

REALLY excited about all the 2017 class getting in and starting their Summer sessions. Three kids I really feel like will help this year as Freshmen are:

1) Jeff Thomas... I think he is going to be even better than we think.
2) Kai-Leon Herbert ... from what I've heard he played hurt all last season, he's now 100%, I think he is going to play early.
3) Jon Ford.... I think he gets in the 2 deep by the FSU game and makes some plays for us at DT.

mp2j8.gif

Advertisement
Garvin and Harley are gonna have a hard time getting snaps this year. Garvin will be great, he's just at our deepest position on the team. There are too many in front of him that will play before him.

Garvin and Harley are gonna have a hard time getting snaps this year. Garvin will be great, he's just at our deepest position on the team. There are too many in front of him that will play before him.

Agree Garvin and DJohnson will have a hard time getting snaps but both will get snaps. This schedule has some games that will get our young guys on the field. Plus, last year Patchan, DJax, Harris, and Thomas were all hurt or playing hurt during VTech. We need the depth!

If we beat FSU, I could see Ford getting snaps as we had some injuries at DT, too. We need 6 DE and 6 DT to make a serious run.

Advertisement
OP I think Jeff Thomas will make an impact later in the season. I think Herbert and Ford are good candidates to get a redshirt year.

Ford shouldn't have too much trouble overtaking Fines and Martin.

Advertisement
Wasn't sure if the OP's list was limited to Freshmen arriving here in the Summer, or the entire 2017 class. If it's the entire class, I am most excited about: 1. Perry 2. Donaldson 3.a. Thomas 3.b. DJ Johnson.

Like it or not, Perry looks like he will get every opportunity to win a job this Summer. Donaldson looks like he's already won a job at either RG or RT. Jeff Thomas is too electric to leave off the field and the staff has not been quiet about needing more speed. And DJ Johnson is a pure savage who will be ejected from at least one game this year from trying to decapitate another human.

I'll also add DJ Dallas to the list of FR that will come in and make an impact this year. Kid was making plays all spring and will prob get looks at RB this year as well. Seems to have that IT factor from what I've read/seen.

That 17' class has potential to have contributors all over the place...let's see how it plays out the next three years.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back