Off-Topic New Kendrick Lamar album dropping tonight

Agreed.
-Good Kid, M.A.A.D City is a classic.
-To Pimp a Butterfly was decent
-**** was cool, but imo, a little overrated.
-Mr Morale & The Big Steppers is vastly better than his last two projects. I can skip a couple of songs, but overall a really, really solid album. I gave it a 4.3/5 stars.

Also, his Black Panther Soundtrack was fire, too.

I basically agree with all of this.

I rank them GKMC > MMTBS > TPAB > ****.

Advertisement
How do you feel about Section.80? That’s actually my favorite Kendrick album.

@Rellyrell

Man, a lot of folks don’t know about Section.80. That’s y I didn’t mention it. It’s dope af.

I had KDot’s mixtape b4 he was known. (Accidentally left it in my ex wife’s car, smh)
I got it from my boy who worked security. Once I heard it, I had to see dude for myself, & was in The Nickerson projects to see him. Some other TDE artist put on, but Jay Rock was the headliner at that point; he had just did a song ft. Lil Wayne, so he had made it. Once Kendrick got on stage, I whispered to my boy, he’s the future. He was metaphorically teaching lessons, while giving a history lesson of the streets. Lyrics way too deep, but not on some Pharaoh Monch, Yasiin Bey, Daylyt type of deep.

I’m interested to see where he go from here. He’s got the type of hype where he can make fans wait 5-7 yrs, and have fans begging for more.

Last edited:
Kendrick is different bro. I know Jay Rock’s peoples, I was just on the phone w/ him a couple days ago. He used to be security for Jay Rock, Kendrick, & TDE artist b4 they became big. I stayed around the Nickersons where J Rock & some of my ppls r from, & I used to always hear about this dude named Kendrick. He grew up like 2 minutes where I’m from, but different generation. From all accounts, my guy K beats to his own drum. Family, friends, & HIS music r everything & he’s not one to be commercialized or sold out.

Drake is about the bag, Kdot is about the art & story. If he gets $$ like that, I can’t imagine they wouldn’t want some influence on how he moves. Lbs for Lbs, Kdot is the best & that’s not a West Coast/Bompton bias, that’s based off of pure lyrics, flow, diction. He’ll be a high commodity, but I’m certain he needs to be in control of his authenticity. That’s the tricky part of it; would they pay 9 figures & be completely hands off?
My boy and I used to always have an argument about who's better between Kendrick and Drake. He really likes both but would always give the nod to Drake and would always quote album sales as if that was the end-all.

I told him the same thing. Drake is about the money, the here and now. The legacy Drake is trying to leave is the amount of money he accumulates. I told him Kendrick's legacy is going to be the art he creates through his lyrics. Drake is fun to bump in the club and turn up to but 10, 15, 20 years from now most people are going to be playing Kendrick's ish. I'd rather hear a dude regale us with his struggles and triumphs while displaying the emotions and consequences of his actions over hearing how a dude turns a 6 into a 9.

Music at its best connects people of different races, religions, cultures, wealth statuses or lack thereof, and opinions through telling a story and/or making its listeners feel the same emotion. Music is universal because it speaks to the soul some moreso than others.

WE CRY TOGETHER is an out of control concept song.
I just heard it. The thing I respect about Kendrick is he makes an entire 5 and a half minute song about that concept when most artists would make it a 10-20 second back-and-forth skit before moving on. He incorporates it into the overall tone and message of the album.

Advertisement
Man, a lot of folks don’t know about Section.80. That’s y I didn’t mention it. It’s dope af.

Kendrick got a feature on The Game’s album in the summer of 2011. Song is called “The City” and he absolutely kills it. That’s how I discovered him.

Almost immediately after hearing that song I went and listened to Section.80 and fell in love. It’s not nearly as polished as his later stuff (obviously, as it was an independent album with an independent budget) and you could tell he was still searching for what worked lyrically from song to song, but it will always be my favorite album of his because of the nostalgia aspect.

I bumped it for the rest of 2011 and of course he blew up in 2012 and the rest is history.

Kendrick got a feature on The Game’s album in the summer of 2011. Song is called “The City” and he absolutely kills it. That’s how I discovered him.

Almost immediately after hearing that song I went and listened to Section.80 and fell in love. It’s not nearly as polished as his later stuff (obviously, as it was an independent album with an independent budget) and you could tell he was still searching for what worked lyrically from song to song, but it will always be my favorite album of his because of the nostalgia aspect.

I bumped it for the rest of 2011 and of course he blew up in 2012 and the rest is history.

Yeah; that’s when everyone was introduced to Kendrick for the most part; that was on The R.E.D Album (a very underrated album, imo). It was dope that Game allowed him to have his own freestyle a cappella. Still remember the bar that had me hooked:

Johnny always lock a ninja down,
knowin' **** well
We don't wanna see the box like Manny Pacquiao
Little ninja Mayweather size
Ride like Pac in his prime;

Thug Life is now on radar
'Til the federal come through and raid ours
Reminiscin' when the L.A. Raiders
Was in my home, snapback fitted on my uncle's dome
And I don't condone
dyckridin'
I'm addicted to
Westsidin'

Livin' in a city where the skinny ninja die
And the semi bullets fly,
but it turned me to a lion
Tryin'…

Bro I had that entire verse memorized line by line back in the day! And you’re 100% right regarding The RED Album being underrated. Probably my second favorite Game album behind The Documentary.

Bro I had that entire verse memorized line by line back in the day! And you’re 100% right regarding The RED Album being underrated. Probably my second favorite Game album behind The Documentary.

Yeah, totally agree. It may be sacrilegious to say that R.E.D is better than Doctor’s Advocate, but I think it is. Although Game, besides Jesus Piece, have not put out a bad album, imo. He just grossly fumbled the bag by allowing his pride get in the way of business. W/o that machine of Aftermath behind him, he didn’t have the same exposure.

Advertisement
My boy and I used to always have an argument about who's better between Kendrick and Drake. He really likes both but would always give the nod to Drake and would always quote album sales as if that was the end-all.

I told him the same thing. Drake is about the money, the here and now. The legacy Drake is trying to leave is the amount of money he accumulates. I told him Kendrick's legacy is going to be the art he creates through his lyrics. Drake is fun to bump in the club and turn up to but 10, 15, 20 years from now most people are going to be playing Kendrick's ish. I'd rather hear a dude regale us with his struggles and triumphs while displaying the emotions and consequences of his actions over hearing how a dude turns a 6 into a 9.

Music at its best connects people of different races, religions, cultures, wealth statuses or lack thereof, and opinions through telling a story and/or making its listeners feel the same emotion. Music is universal because it speaks to the soul some moreso than others.
That isn't really true. Look the "old school rap stations" . like Rock the bells or whenever they do throwback music blocks. When they play music from 20 years ago its all Nelly, Dre, snoop, Eminem, Luda, outcast, Ja Rule, Jay Z, Nas. They play the stuff that was popular at the time and Drake is popular now.

You can go back even further and look at other genres. Like the 60s/50s stations, etc. they play what was popular.

Drake is still going to have a huge following in 20-30 years when his listeners are 60-70 because its going to be nostalgic just like everything else.

Now if you are talking 400-500 years from now, then Drake will be a nobody, but so will Kendrick. Most likely Chief Keef will be more famous than both of them in 500 years since he was the one who popularized Drill music.

That isn't really true. Look the "old school rap stations" . like Rock the bells or whenever they do throwback music blocks. When they play music from 20 years ago its all Nelly, Dre, snoop, Eminem, Luda, outcast, Ja Rule, Jay Z, Nas. They play the stuff that was popular at the time and Drake is popular now.

You can go back even further and look at other genres. Like the 60s/50s stations, etc. they play what was popular.

Drake is still going to have a huge following in 20-30 years when his listeners are 60-70 because its going to be nostalgic just like everything else.

Now if you are talking 400-500 years from now, then Drake will be a nobody, but so will Kendrick. Most likely Chief Keef will be more famous than both of them in 500 years since he was the one who popularized Drill music.
I hear what you’re saying but the radio crowd is not that big and 20-30 years from now it’ll be Spotify/Apple Music/YouTube/etc anyway. It will be pick your own music mostly and people will determine whose music is more timeless.

Not all music that was popular back in the 90s early 00s (using your example) that was popular is played on those stations. It’s the stuff that was popular but also stood the test of time. The boy bands, girl bands, and multitude of other rappers etc that were popular aren’t played. While they were popular, they were only relevant for that short time period. In my opinion, Drake won’t be that dude that people pull up in their 60-70s 25+ years from now. Of course I’m not saying no one will, I’m just saying his music is very relevant to what is going on now which won’t be relevant in the future is all.

I hear what you’re saying but the radio crowd is not that big and 20-30 years from now it’ll be Spotify/Apple Music/YouTube/etc anyway. It will be pick your own music mostly and people will determine whose music is more timeless.

Not all music that was popular back in the 90s early 00s (using your example) that was popular is played on those stations. It’s the stuff that was popular but also stood the test of time. The boy bands, girl bands, and multitude of other rappers etc that were popular aren’t played. While they were popular, they were only relevant for that short time period. In my opinion, Drake won’t be that dude that people pull up in their 60-70s 25+ years from now. Of course I’m not saying no one will, I’m just saying his music is very relevant to what is going on now which won’t be relevant in the future is all.
That isn't the point though. The radio stations play what attracts the largest crowd. If playing Woody Guthrie would garner more listens than Elvis, the beatles, etc. they would be playing Woody Guthrie.

Even if you want to just look at Spotify. Who has more plays from rappers in the 2000s? 50, Eminem, Jay, Nas, etc. Or MC Lyte and krs 1? Not only that, but the most popular KRS songs are not his socially relevant commentaries, but his most popular songs. If your theory was correct, The Truth By KRS would have more listens than Candy Shop by 50 cent, but it doesn't.

I do agree with your other point. Songs that were popular, but didn't age well. Like Ron Browz for instance. Is not going to be played on the 2000s channels 50 years from now, but Drake was not some one hit wonder. Drake was the most popular rapper for the entire decade. If you think he is just going to fade away, you are crazy. People thought frank sinatra was just some random pop star that would fade away and was aimed towards teenagers and that no one would bump him as an adult. Now we have 95 year olds dancing to him.

Historically. The musicians that are listened to 30-40-50 years later are the ones who were the most popular in their prime. Look at the most popular musicians from any decade and 9/10 times they have the most listens on spotify, when compared to their contemporaries.

Now if we are talking hundreds of years later. Like Mozart and Beethoven. Then you need to either create a genre or have done something to really push forward a genre. There were plenty of musicians more successful than Mozart when he was alive, but people remember Mozart because he did more than any of the more successful musicians, of his time towards advancing his genre.

That isn't the point though. The radio stations play what attracts the largest crowd. If playing Woody Guthrie would garner more listens than Elvis, the beatles, etc. they would be playing Woody Guthrie.

Even if you want to just look at Spotify. Who has more plays from rappers in the 2000s? 50, Eminem, Jay, Nas, etc. Or MC Lyte and krs 1? Not only that, but the most popular KRS songs are not his socially relevant commentaries, but his most popular songs. If your theory was correct, The Truth By KRS would have more listens than Candy Shop by 50 cent, but it doesn't.

I do agree with your other point. Songs that were popular, but didn't age well. Like Ron Browz for instance. Is not going to be played on the 2000s channels 50 years from now, but Drake was not some one hit wonder. Drake was the most popular rapper for the entire decade. If you think he is just going to fade away, you are crazy. People thought frank sinatra was just some random pop star that would fade away and was aimed towards teenagers and that no one would bump him as an adult. Now we have 95 year olds dancing to him.

Historically. The musicians that are listened to 30-40-50 years later are the ones who were the most popular in their prime. Look at the most popular musicians from any decade and 9/10 times they have the most listens on spotify, when compared to their contemporaries.

Now if we are talking hundreds of years later. Like Mozart and Beethoven. Then you need to either create a genre or have done something to really push forward a genre. There were plenty of musicians more successful than Mozart when he was alive, but people remember Mozart because he did more than any of the more successful musicians, of his time towards advancing his genre.
No we’re not talking about 100s of years later. Humanity as we know it might not even last that long but that’s not what we’re discussing.

You’re example of KRS 1 and MC Lyte don’t fit the argument. They were never popular like Kendrick and Drake. KRS 1 vs Em or 50 or any of the others you named would be 10,000th most streamed (probably less if it existed back then) vs the top 50 for the artists you named. You disregard Kendrick as if he’s a local rapper with regional fame. He’s top 30 all-time according to Spotify. Drake of course is top 5 but we’re talking a reasonably comparable fan base size.

I’m not arguing who’s more popular. I’m looking at it from an old-school point of view. Artists put out albums and if you were to say whose album would you rather listen to Drake’s from the 2010s or Kendrick’s from the 2010’s 20 years from now, I think most people would say Kendrick. Again the radio isn’t people’s choice lol.

Advertisement
No we’re not talking about 100s of years later. Humanity as we know it might not even last that long but that’s not what we’re discussing.

You’re example of KRS 1 and MC Lyte don’t fit the argument. They were never popular like Kendrick and Drake. KRS 1 vs Em or 50 or any of the others you named would be 10,000th most streamed (probably less if it existed back then) vs the top 50 for the artists you named. You disregard Kendrick as if he’s a local rapper with regional fame. He’s top 30 all-time according to Spotify. Drake of course is top 5 but we’re talking a reasonably comparable fan base size.

I’m not arguing who’s more popular. I’m looking at it from an old-school point of view. Artists put out albums and if you were to say whose album would you rather listen to Drake’s from the 2010s or Kendrick’s from the 2010’s 20 years from now, I think most people would say Kendrick. Again the radio isn’t people’s choice lol.
Wrong. KRS 1 was hugely popular among rap fans in the 80s/90s. He was considered the GOAT for a period of time.

The radio isn't "hip hop heads choices", but it is the choice of the masses. They play the music that is going to get the most amount of people tuning in. The radio stations aren't just arbitrarily playing songs. They are picking songs that casts the widest net.

I am also looking at it from an old school point of view and the people who get the most clicks on spotify right now, were the ones that were the most popular in their own time. That is just a fact.

Wrong. KRS 1 was hugely popular among rap fans in the 80s/90s. He was considered the GOAT for a period of time.

The radio isn't "hip hop heads choices", but it is the choice of the masses. They play the music that is going to get the most amount of people tuning in. The radio stations aren't just arbitrarily playing songs. They are picking songs that casts the widest net.

I am also looking at it from an old school point of view and the people who get the most clicks on spotify right now, were the ones that were the most popular in their own time. That is just a fact.
Listen, I like you GatorHater and I’m not going to respond after this because it’s obvious we should agree to disagree. You make great points.

But you’re wrong on your first 2 points. KRS made music for a long time and yes was considered (and it’s true) great. But please show me his album sales vs the artists you mentioned like 50 Cent. That would be a metric to measure an artists popularity.

Also, radio is clearly not the choice of the masses. You’re out of your mind if you think it is. It sure as **** used to be but hasn’t been since TV and especially since the iPod.

Your third point is facts and I never argued against that. In fact the argument I’m making now wasn’t my original argument either. We lost the trail and I don’t care to go back and find it. Arguments like this are best had in person listening to good music and good beer not on the internet. Cheers my brother, I hope you have a great day.

Listen, I like you GatorHater and I’m not going to respond after this because it’s obvious we should agree to disagree. You make great points.

But you’re wrong on your first 2 points. KRS made music for a long time and yes was considered (and it’s true) great. But please show me his album sales vs the artists you mentioned like 50 Cent. That would be a metric to measure an artists popularity.

Also, radio is clearly not the choice of the masses. You’re out of your mind if you think it is. It sure as **** used to be but hasn’t been since TV and especially since the iPod.

Your third point is facts and I never argued against that. In fact the argument I’m making now wasn’t my original argument either. We lost the trail and I don’t care to go back and find it. Arguments like this are best had in person listening to good music and good beer not on the internet. Cheers my brother, I hope you have a great day.
I fvck with you too bro. I was just having an interesting debate. Not going at you as a person.

KRS had less sales because the amount of people listening to rap was much smaller back then. It was pretty much only young black men. By the time 50 was rapping, rap was listened to by black people of all ages and youth from all demographics.

KRS was considered a GOAT, by a larger percentage of rap fans, than 50 was. Everyone in the 80s considered KRS to be one of the GOATs. Even people from Queens would begrudgingly admit it. In the 2000s a lot of people thought 50 was garbage that sang to much and mainly appealed to white suburban kids.

The point I was making, is you said that 20 years from now modern popularity doesn't matter. What matters is the context of the songs. So if that theory was true KRS should have more people listening to him on Spotify than someone like 50 cent. If you want to use an actual contemporary of 50 cent. Look at Mos Def. He is a good example of 50 vs drake. And Mos Defs most popular streamed song is Ms Fat booty, since it was his most popular song, not his more conscious songs.

Yes radio is not the choice of the masses, since they don't want to hear commercials and the DJ talk for 15 minutes between songs, but Radio stations play songs that appeal to the masses which is the point. That was my point.

Cheers bro, hope you have a great day too.

Advertisement
I fvck with you too bro. I was just having an interesting debate. Not going at you as a person.

KRS had less sales because the amount of people listening to rap was much smaller back then. It was pretty much only young black men. By the time 50 was rapping, rap was listened to by black people of all ages and youth from all demographics.

KRS was considered a GOAT, by a larger percentage of rap fans, than 50 was. Everyone in the 80s considered KRS to be one of the GOATs. Even people from Queens would begrudgingly admit it. In the 2000s a lot of people thought 50 was garbage that sang to much and mainly appealed to white suburban kids.

The point I was making, is you said that 20 years from now modern popularity doesn't matter. What matters is the context of the songs. So if that theory was true KRS should have more people listening to him on Spotify than someone like 50 cent. If you want to use an actual contemporary of 50 cent. Look at Mos Def. He is a good example of 50 vs drake. And Mos Defs most popular streamed song is Ms Fat booty, since it was his most popular song, not his more conscious songs.

Yes radio is not the choice of the masses, since they don't want to hear commercials and the DJ talk for 15 minutes between songs, but Radio stations play songs that appeal to the masses which is the point. That was my point.

Cheers bro, hope you have a great day too.
I know you weren’t coming at me brother. I’m just saying this debate is one to have in person. Cheers!

Advertisement
Back