New jersey numbers

Didn’t the Redskins retire #21? Doesn’t seem to be a big issue for them. And I agree that #98 should be retired.
There aren't 100+ guys that dress out in the NFL. We dress out 100+ for home games. Few if any schools totally retire numbers at this point, because if you have any kind of history, you can easily take half of your numbers out of rotation....

Advertisement
This "No one can wear 26" crap has to end. If none can wear 26, then no one can wear 20 and 36. What about 98, 5, and 47? If we played this game, half of the numbers in rotation would be retired. Making it a badge of honor is fine, retiring numbers at this point is insane.
I can get with earning it like number 7 at LSU. Some people think anyone should be able to wear it though

I can get with earning it like number 7 at LSU. Some people think anyone should be able to wear it though
I've always liked what Michigan has done with honored numbers, issue it after someone has earned it and pay tribute to the player with a little patch or something.

Bro it's not that I don't have a high opinion of Williams but we have seen this show with 26 already. You must have coached Williams or related to him because you obviously took that personal.

Coaches reserve certain numbers for High ranked players all the time. I'm sure you know that and I'm not sure why anyone would agree with your point there...
Lol...No I didn't

I just think it's idiotic to only allow a player that has a high 247 ranking the rights to a number

No coach in their right mind would do that...It's ******* stupid

I've always liked what Michigan has done with honored numbers, issue it after someone has earned it and pay tribute to the player with a little patch or something.
I agree. Some people in this thread are saying even walk ons should be able to wear prestige numbers as freshman theoretically because 5 start highly touted players might end up as bust so they don't deserve the number either.

Advertisement
This "No one can wear 26" crap has to end. If no one can wear 26, then no one can wear 20 and 36. What about 98, 5, and 47? If we played this game, half of the numbers in rotation would be retired. Making it a badge of honor is fine, retiring numbers at this point is insane.
Thank you

Lol...No I didn't

I just think it's idiotic to only allow a player that has a high 247 ranking the rights to a number

No coach in their right mind would do that...It's ******* stupid
Thats how your choosing to phrase it my boy that's not the argument I was making.

It makes sense to give a 5 star can't miss prospect a famous number that has not been retired.

Can 5 star can't miss players be bust yes, but it's less likely.

So in your opinion a walk on should be able to wear any prestigious number as a freshman right?

****, I’m not an old guy or even have a get off my lawn mentality, but I despise duplicate numbers. Lol. So many options, even with a team full of 85.

And yeah, either retire 26 or honor it by making it an earned #.
Yeah, the program should do something special with #26. I’d lean towards retirement, and honestly because how his life was cut short. Same with Jerome Brown, #98.

And what about #20? 2X AA, NC, All-Time INTs. Might retire #26, and earn #20.

But how would you earn it? An All-ACC or All-American season? Also must be a great leader on the field and in the locker room. And by the time it’s earned, the player is off to the NFL…

No offense to the one saying “then no one should be wearing 20, 47, & 36” to compare #26; but, we’re talking about not only one of the greatest Canes to ever lace them up, but we’re talking about one of the greatest to lace them up who died tragically. So while I agree those other #’s hold a special place in Cane’s lore, ST’s # hits just a tad bit different than 52, 20, 47, 99 & any other great #.

It’s also y ppl have said for yrs it would be impossible to retire #’s here b/c of how many greats have donned a vast amount of #’s, but for ST, what better way to honor a fallen legacy to use it as an earned #?

Other programs do it; ****, other programs have retired #’s, & I personally am not asking that. I’m sorry, but ST26 hits a bit different than ER20 b/c we got to see ER win a ring, play in multiple pro bowls, inducted in the HOF, & now on campus. ST? We saw him set the new standard of what a prototypical S looks like, the type of player a team wanna draft, yet, he didn’t get to enjoy his life or career like ER.

That’s my opinion.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Let me add my vote of annoyance to the duplicate numbers. I get that we dress out more than 100 people so it is inevitable. But **** does it have to be every freaking starter on both sides of the ball. How about pairing up starters with scrubs so the duplicates aren't actually prime time players.

It hit peak ridiculousness when our punt returner had to put on a second jersey just so he could be on the field at the same time with one of the other special teamers. I think that was KJ Osbourne.

Advertisement
**** 26 being passed around like 2 dollar hoe to just any body. I know Williams was like a mid range 4 star but c'mon.

If a safety is not at least 6'2 with track speed and receiver hands he shouldn't be able to wear that number.
There’s too many legends to start holding numbers bro lol i love ST as much as anyone but we have too many legends

No offense to the one saying “then no one should be wearing 20, 47, & 36” to compare #26; but, we’re talking about not only one of the greatest Canes to ever lace them up, but we’re talking about one of the greatest to lace them up who died tragically. So while I agree those other #’s hold a special place in Cane’s lore, ST’s # hits just a tad bit different than 52, 20, 47, 99 & any other great #.

It’s also y ppl have said for yrs it would be impossible to retire #’s here b/c of how many greats have donned a vast amount of #’s, but for ST, what better way to honor a fallen legacy to use it as an earned #?

Other programs do it; ****, other programs have retired #’s, & I personally am not asking that. I’m sorry, but ST26 hits a bit different than ER20 b/c we got to see ER win a ring, play in multiple pro bowls, inducted in the HOF, & now on campus. ST? We saw him set the new standard of what a prototypical S looks like, the type of player a team wanna draft, yet, he didn’t get to enjoy his life or career like ER.

That’s my opinion.
Im not against it at all but what about JB? Why does no one bring him up when he’s as great of a hurricane as anyone.

Advertisement
Thats how your choosing to phrase it my boy that's not the argument I was making.

It makes sense to give a 5 star can't miss prospect a famous number that has not been retired.

Can 5 star can't miss players be bust yes, but it's less likely.

So in your opinion a walk on should be able to wear any prestigious number as a freshman right?

I mean if there isn't a rule in place or the number is available then yes...And I'd probably say that the next season any schools player that wants that number (no matter who wore it) should get it...(unless maybe if that walk-on has busted his *** for multiple years, and plays a big part of the team and it's goals) But not my point

My point is what are you going to do now...Look at someone and say this kid is ranked 95th in the nation and this kid is ranked 198th...Oops...247's higher ranking gets the number? Or **** since you went down to walk-up status...Let's just say noone took a number and some kid, a 3 star (whether or not the coaches think they have a steal of a lifetime, and the coaches don't give two shyts about a ranking) wants the number. You are saying this kid shouldn't get it because he wasn't that highly ranked?

This is insanity...And I don't believe a coach living would/should subscribe to it.

As a side note many on this board were very, very high on Markeith Williams.

Im not against it at all but what about JB? Why does no one bring him up when he’s as great of a hurricane as anyone.

Someone has in this thread. It was suggested 98 is an earned jersey, too. Though, I’m not sure of how many players that’s come through rocking 98.

Also, I hate to say this, but while both deaths were tragic, imo, they r either consciously or subconsciously viewed differently. W/ JB (R.I.P), it was a tragic car accident w/ reckless driving involved; w/ ST (R.I.P) here’s a man who’s at home w/ his family & a criminal breaks in & kills him. So even though we were hit hard by both untimely deaths, one appears it could’ve been avoided, while the other happened in a man’s own sanctuary.

Yeah, the program should do something special with #26. I’d lean towards retirement, and honestly because how his life was cut short. Same with Jerome Brown, #98.

And what about #20? 2X AA, NC, All-Time INTs. Might retire #26, and earn #20.

But how would you earn it? An All-ACC or All-American season? Also must be a great leader on the field and in the locker room. And by the time it’s earned, the player is off to the NFL…

I think it’s that DB that exemplifies a dog-leader mentality, someone who embodies what it means to have the respect of the staff & teammates. If the accolades come along w/ it, so be it, but I don’t think any true freshman should be given it w/o that work, first. Again, it’s to honor a fallen legacy. Jmo

Advertisement
Back