New Era

RedSquare

Freshman
Don't know what you guys think, but so far, this season feels like a bit of breath of fresh air.

It reminds me of the year Jim took over after the 1 year disaster that was Brad Kelley. Jim turned the team around, we started 5-0, and it just felt like there was a spring in everyone's step that wasn't there in the previous season.

Not crowning us kings of Omaha just yet, but anyone else notice not just the obvious (runs/hits/ fewer errors), but the not so obvious vibe from the program?

Last edited:
Advertisement
We gave Manny 3 weeks before he was anointed Don Manuel.
Let's give Gino a minute to show us more than a sweep of a bottom feeding Big10 team and a down FAU team. I do see it as well, but I just can't knee jerk this. (As I reflect on our Omaha appearances just 3 years prior :applause:)

So I guess I just inadvertently drew an interesting conclusion. We went nuts because the program sucked for two seasons, just two; while coming off of 2 straight trips to the Cornhusker state and the CWS. Wow, we are some kind of fickle.

Let's give Gino a minute to show us more than a sweep of a bottom feeding Big10 team and a down FAU team. I do see it as well, but I just can't knee jerk this. (As I reflect on our Omaha appearances just 3 years prior :applause:)

So I guess I just inadvertently drew an interesting conclusion. We went nuts because the program sucked for two seasons, just two; while coming off of 2 straight trips to the Cornhusker state and the CWS. Wow, we are some kind of fickle.

Agreed with nearly everything you posted. Just not sure we can say this is truly a down FAU team, they swept Cincinatti in pretty convincing fashion over the weekend.

If we win 2/3 this weekend I'll be a believer. Hard to win on the road, especially against a top SEC team.

Florida's pitching staff will likely be the best we see this year.

Advertisement

Well, we dropped one on Sunday last year against Rutgers and went 0-3 against FAU. We scored 10 runs or more in 5 games the entire season. We've scored 10 runs or more in 2 of the first 4 this year. As far as I am concerned that is progress coming out of the gate.

Despite what happens this weekend, I couldn't be happier with what I saw in the first 4 games. That said, I think we take at least one game and are competitive all weekend.

Anyone who has watched baseball their whole life knows this team has some talented baseball players (and the most talented are freshmen). You always have to worry about the honeymoon effect, but it sure beats what we've been watching the last two years. Go Canes!

Why are we posting things like this before we play a top-5 in-state rival at their house? It's baseball. Four games mean nothing.

I'm not down on Gino, but the systemic issues that have kept Canes baseball back these last several years are still there. We lose too many recruits to the draft and it's much harder for us to get guys that aren't on scholly.

The scary thing about hiring Gino is that he's the son of probably a top-5 booster in Paul DiMare, which means if things go south firing him could get a little tricky.

See: Jon Richt

Advertisement

Not making the tourney two years in a row at Miami is a big, big deal, and absolutely inexcusable.

I'm about as fair about 'Canes baseball as it gets, but not making the field of 64 is abysmal for us.

Well, we dropped one on Sunday last year against Rutgers and went 0-3 against FAU. We scored 10 runs or more in 5 games the entire season. We've scored 10 runs or more in 2 of the first 4 this year. As far as I am concerned that is progress coming out of the gate.

I never liked baseball until my senior year of high school, when I started following Miami. That also just happened to be the season prior to my freshman year at Miami, which was 2001. From the 2002-2005 season, I'd wager I went to more games than any student without a direct affiliation with the program. I lived at The Light on weekends.

The beauty of baseball is it's a game of statistics. As a stats junkie with a particular interest in the law of large numbers, I found the nuances fascinating.

That being said, everything you're saying here means absolutely nothing. The sample size is way, way too small. I can appreciate the notion of progress, and hey, that's great. But I'll judge Gino four years in and not four games in.

Advertisement
This is obviously not true.

While there's a statistical aspect of the game, there's also a physical one. We're having better at bats, making harder contact and seeing the ball better. That has led to many more runs than the last two years.

That's not nothing. That's definitely something.

But having better at bats than the last two years is hardly something to be cheering about at this point. It just means that we're not woefully incompetent against bad teams.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back