New Depth Chart Out

View as article
I'm starting to think that Armbrister, AJ Highsmith and K. Rogers are the new Romeo Davis' of this year's team... No matter how hard to dislike them and/or do not want them to start, they always seem to be in your face like a John Madden 'BOOM!'

The Shannon holdovers have all had Golden as their coach long enough that we can bank on them getting better. Certain guys like Laron Byrd or Telemaque may not have responded so well to the new staff for whatever reason, but any player still here from the Randy era is only here because Golden likes them. We would all rather see Sandland instead of Asante, Gilbert instead of Shayon, Bush instead of Rodgers, but this staff hangs its hat on player development so we have that going for us.

Advertisement
I am more excited about how talented that D-Line looks more then anything.... The DE and DTs look like they are going to do numbers this year.

People are WAY over-reacting to this depth chart. First off, our younger guys a S have been dinged up and so they arent going to be pencilled in as starters having had limited time in camp. Second, its VERY common for coaches to have SOME senior leadership listed as starters on the depth chart, even though they will probably not even play the majority of snaps in a game. BUT, they will be given the benefit of the doubt, because they probably understand the system better, and make less mental mistakes. And UNTIL they prove they cant execute, they wont officially demote them for a younger player. Highsmith's problem is he just isnt althetic enough for the position. BUT, he has good football smarts, and is a leader on the defense. That is probably why he is still in here. Rodgers is more of a mystery, but we have to trust the coaches here.

I suspect that as guys like Deon get healthy we will see them in much more. You need some consistency on your defense from year to year, and Im guessing that initially that is the reason for having these guys listed as starters.

Advertisement
Yeah, I don't get that. Artie has everything an elite shutdown CB needs, why are people upset he's there? You don't want a true lockdown corner?

I would like to see Jamal Carter get some meaningful snaps. It's not so much that I think he's ready to make a huge impact, as much as I think Highsmith and Rodgers are terrible football players.

I guess the "it" thing to do own message boards is to panic every time you see a depth chart even though it is ALWAYS made up from the group of current players on the team???

The Offensive Depth Chart is loaded, Miami can win the Coastal just on them alone.

The Defensive Depth Chart, aside from the safety position, looks very impressive.... the Defense looks like it can definitely put the hurt on some teams this year, and they dont even have to be as good as they are now for Miami to challenge and win the ACC this year.

most of yall stress easily b/c yall are some glass is always half empty types.... while i'm just pour'n up. :crownpour:

Really don't understand what Golden was thinking putting Artie Burns at CB when our safety depth is complete ****. We need him much more at safety right now than we do at CB. He can always move back to CB later if need be. Even during his recruitment most people though his highest ceiling was at safety. He's known for months that Bush was dealing with this hernia issue and was going to take awhile to get back. Could have put Burns at safety and given him time to learn the position. Because there's no way Highsmith and Kacy Rogers should ever be starting here.

Who said this? No one that I know of.

The site you're posting on right now said so. http://www.canesinsight.com/content/1154-Recruit-Notebook-Artie-Burns

Oh and not to mention one of the greatest DBs to ever play football thinks so as well:

User ActionsDeion Sanders says within two plays at #UAGame practice that #Miami DB commit Artie Burns plays like a safety.

10:28 AM - 1 Jan 13

But yeah, go ahead. Neg away.

Just don't see Artie being played at S this year. Kid has only been here 2 months, and safety is a much tougher position mentally to master then cb. Gotta account for the whole field while at S as opposed to just goin out and sticking ur man @cb. And Artie has lockdown corner in his near future, keep him whr he is at IMO .

Advertisement
Deon will play much more when healthy guys so don't stress too much, and I have a feeling that Rayshawn will end up winning the job at some point in the season. (or so I hope)! Go canes!

Really don't understand what Golden was thinking putting Artie Burns at CB when our safety depth is complete ****. We need him much more at safety right now than we do at CB. He can always move back to CB later if need be. Even during his recruitment most people though his highest ceiling was at safety. He's known for months that Bush was dealing with this hernia issue and was going to take awhile to get back. Could have put Burns at safety and given him time to learn the position. Because there's no way Highsmith and Kacy Rogers should ever be starting here.

The site you're posting on right now said so. http://www.canesinsight.com/content/1154-Recruit-Notebook-Artie-Burns

Oh and not to mention one of the greatest DBs to ever play football thinks so as well:

User ActionsDeion Sanders says within two plays at #UAGame practice that #Miami DB commit Artie Burns plays like a safety.

This board is full of expert football evaluators now? Oh and Deion Sanders isn't a scout either. Playing the game doesn't mean you can properly evaluate potential.

Deion Sanders also said that Brandon Harris was one of the best corners at the combine and its that boy 3rd league in the year and he cant even make the DIme corner position

Advertisement
How has no one brought up Alex Figueroa!? Who is this kid!? Pumped to see what he's got.

I know not of this Alex Figueroa you speak of. I have heard whispers of a creature prowling Greentree who goes by the name of Figatron and leaves nothing but death and destruction in his wake, speak of him at your own peril.

Last edited:

Just don't see Artie being played at S this year. Kid has only been here 2 months, and safety is a much tougher position mentally to master then cb. Gotta account for the whole field while at S as opposed to just goin out and sticking ur man @cb. And Artie has lockdown corner in his near future, keep him whr he is at IMO .

The greatest shooting guard of all time is one of the worst talent evaluators in the history of the NBA. On top of that, Deion's analysis was based off of...2 plays.

Artie may end up as a Safety long-term, but I think he's more valuable to us and gives himself a higher individual ceiling as a Corner right now.

Cain at MLB and Tucker at FB

To be honest Cain best performance came at MLB his freshman year when he started for CMAC against Duke... I believe he had 9tackles a ff and fr, with a sack... That's his best position... We haven't seen a performance like that since Spence manned the MLB spot...

Advertisement

To be honest Cain best performance came at MLB his freshman year when he started for CMAC against Duke... I believe he had 9tackles a ff and fr, with a sack... That's his best position... We haven't seen a performance like that since Spence manned the MLB spot...

Agreed. Besides, Cain sucked as a DE because he's not a pure pass rusher... If we're going towards a 3-4, Cain will be ok as an ILB. 3-4 LBs are usually tall and rangy.

Last edited:

This board is full of expert football evaluators now? Oh and Deion Sanders isn't a scout either. Playing the game doesn't mean you can properly evaluate potential.

Deion Sanders also said that Brandon Harris was one of the best corners at the combine and its that boy 3rd league in the year and he cant even make the DIme corner position

Stop talking out of your ***. You clearly didn't watch many Texans games last year because Harris was the starting nickelback.

Agreed. Besides, Cain sucked as a DE because he's not a pure pass rusher... If we're going towards a 3-4, Cain will be ok as an ILB. 3-4 LBs are usually tall and rangy.

And he's 250lbs.
We definitely have size where we need it.
I've said this before.
This is not the same defensive team as last year. Looks like we have 30 brand new players.
Lets see how this new, bigger, stronger more experienced defense does.

The depth chart is fluid and will be tweaked before the FAU game, then again before the UF game. By mid season, the depth chart might not look anything like this. Nothing is set in stone, this ain't the NFL. Kids will be fighting for spots every week.

I ain't got no worries.

Thank you!

Advertisement
Back