New competition in Florida

odfsm

Recruit
So this news is relatively old but I have failed to see anyone post anything about it so I'll do my best. The University of West Florida has recently announced they will start a football team in fall of 2016, now it will be in division II but I am curious to see how this effects (if it even will) recruiting in the panhandle. The only other division II school in Florida is Florida Tech which, quite honestly, I've never even heard of. No plans for moving up to division I in the immediate future. I guess they'll survive on kids trying to get on any team whatsoever? They share a stadium with Pensacola Wahoos, which is one of the best locations I've seen. I was more curious to see how this would effect recruiting in the area versus actually recruiting against the likes of Miami...because it won't.

http://goargos.com/page.asp?articleID=6756

http://www.pnj.com/story/sports/2014/07/14/uwf-hosts-first-organized-football-activities/12646707/

Advertisement
So now we have to battle a D2 school in lower Alabama for recruits? Florida Tech's first year playing was 2013.

It won't affect any division 1 recruit's decisions. Barely a blip on the radar for now and the foreseeable future.

Nobody is going to be flying to West Pensacola trust me. But I See alot of schools adding football teams. Jacksonville University has been D2 football for a while. Stetson University just added one, Florida Tech just added one. Now west Pensacola. Giving more options for Florida athletes to stay close to home.

Advertisement
There are plenty of players in Fl. To stock the big three . Central and USF are the ones that would be affected by any more elephants to feed.

I live in Pensacola... I met with the head coach at uwf when he first got here. They had there first football camp for juniors and seniors yesterday. They will be actively recruiting and will sign there first class in 2015 and will begin there first season in 2016. They will sign the full amount allowed at d2 level... I'm not exactly sure of the number anymore. While I don't think uwf will be stealing any recruits from the big schools I do believe they could become a powerhouse at the d2 level. They will be playing in the Gulf South Conference which at the d2 level is thought to be the SEC of d2. They majority of GSC teams rosters are loaded with Florida talent that has fallen through the cracks because of size, grades , or multiple transfers. I am proud to say we finally have a college football team in Pensacola. I will attend home games at the beautiful Maritime park until the school builds an on campus stadium. Maritime park is home to the Blue Wahoos baseball team (Cincinnati Reds Farm team.. Billy Hamilton was a Wahoo) and there stadium is considered one of the most beautiful small stadiums in the country... Hope this helps ease some peoples minds...

Go CANES!!!

Naw, this wont impact the D1 schools in fla. Walk ons maybe. Instead of going to one of the top schools and never playing, they might get a scholarship UWF.

Advertisement
Nobody is going to be flying to West Pensacola trust me. But I See alot of schools adding football teams. Jacksonville University has been D2 football for a while. Stetson University just added one, Florida Tech just added one. Now west Pensacola. Giving more options for Florida athletes to stay close to home.

Jacksonville is 1AA Think Stetson is too...

Blandy would of lost recruits to University of West Florida. Delmar Taylor and Raheem Buxton specials

What a strong first post, especially subject thread. Headline writer for a tabloid for day job?

Advertisement
Let's be real. Nothing north of Disney World is of any worth in this state. And even that's a stretch. The State of Miami really should be a state...plus The Keys just to keep Jimmy in the loop.

I definitely don't think it would come close to attracting even USF prospects away, but as far as area recruiting goes I really believe that it could possibly steal some recruits from USA. Both new programs and although USA is DIV I, it seems as though a lot more students are willing to stay at UWF rather than USA. Bigvort is right, I also live in Pensacola (go to school in Tampa), Maritime Park is absolutely gorgeous.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back