New coach & appeasing our fan base

SALUTE FROM ANOTHER BROOKLYN CANE!! I AGREE I HOPE WE GET A UM GUY THAT BRINGS US BACC TO OUR ROOTS!!

Advertisement
I've been trying my best to keep any comments to myself. But I gotta mention just one simple thing... I played for this university from 95-97. I love butch as a man & a coach. He truly is amazing & a genius on motivating his players & getting the most out of us. However it really seems like you forget our fan base spent all of 95-99 complaining about butch as a horrible game day coach. Constant complaints that he couldn't beat fspew or vtech. All the way until the 99-00 season that was a constant. Personally I would love to see butch come back home but I can't help but think how far off our fan base is with some of these opinions. #1the one mandatory thing in most eyes is we need a coach who can unite both the fan base & our alumni. Who knows our history & embraces it. Fact here is the best coach for all of that is chud. Chud is amazingly thought of & loved by everyone that matters. He's an offensive genius & would put together a who's who of a staff. Everything you can dream of you would have with chud even more so than butch. #2 thing that kills me is all these geniuses opinions about mario.yes it's a given mario was eventually fired at fiu by pete. It's also a given he created fiu football. He made a team with no resources & no history relevant. They beat some good teams & he recruited some players who never would've came near there otherwise. If you give mario the history & resources that he would have here he could conceivably do some amazing things. My one concern with mario is he is very pig headed. He can be tough to get along with & keeping that in mind I'd be concerned about the staff he could put together... #3 have you all not learned about these quick hit coaches who have no history & no link to our family. Was al golden not enough for you to learn we don't want a coach of the moment. We want lineage. So that means no to Herman or fuentes. I want a um man running shopping who embraces pro set & embraces a 4-3 attacking d. If that's not where were headed than I'm concerned.

If you played FOOTBALL for this U from '95-'97, then I'm not sure how you can want anybody else but Butch, especially since those were the very years he literally volunteered to walk into a lions den where about every pundit in the world said we were the next SMU or at best, a reclamation project that would take at least a decade.

While you were not there for the turn-around, and most of us in the OB were quite lonely until the ship righted a bit..lol, '98-'00 was pretty **** amazing.

I would assume that for no other reason but sheer respect you would want Butch back around to explain what a cloud really is and to show what can be done.

UM

Butch had his supporters...

In '98, my son received his acceptance letter from Miami (music program). He was hesitant, mainly because of the football team. I had a lot of faith in Butch, because I saw what he was building. I boldly said to my son, "Miami will play for a national championship before you graduate." My son chose wisely.

We all know what happened.

Yes, our fans are impatient, but they're not quitters. Just look at the activity on this message board. We have our differences, but we all love the school.

OMFG, if that's fact rather than fiction, it's one of the funniest things I've ever read on any message board.

He came here for music, but almost didn't because of the football program? Wise old dad assured him that we'd play for all the marbles while every other fan wanted Butch out. Your son believes you, chooses us, and the rest is history.

Seriously, it's sad NO matter the truth. Either way, it stinks of b.s., but whatever.

You don't know siht.

You may take notice to look up a girl's perspective and why she chose UM - because of the football program.

Jennifer Urs.

Wrote an article on it. She's a very bright young woman, and in fact, when we started winning under Schnellenberger, then Jimmy, etc., the University started really growing with new admissions - apparently, going to a successful sports school really did matter to some kids.

Lots of kids don't want to listen to their friends who attend other schools rag on them all the time because the football team sucks. Which is why it's important for the U to get it's crap together and get this program back on track.

I know Jen, have read her article, but most would agree there are far better reasons to attend a university besides sports. Choosing a school based on sports is the exception rather than the norm. Depending on your chosen field of study, it can either be a good decision or very poor one.

Yes, the football team did wonders for this school academically. No question there, but even with wins being down, academics still rose.

Your last paragraph is laughably funny though. It's important to have the football team back in track so our students don't get ragged on. If that's a students biggest complaint in college, they must be doing everything else right. Besides that though, I just don't know how anyone made it through the school or why they even bothered coming in this last decade of irrelevance.

In '98, my son received his acceptance letter from Miami (music program). He was hesitant, mainly because of the football team. I had a lot of faith in Butch, because I saw what he was building. I boldly said to my son, "Miami will play for a national championship before you graduate." My son chose wisely.

Yes, our fans are impatient, but they're not quitters. Just look at the activity on this message board. We have our differences, but we all love the school.

OMFG, if that's fact rather than fiction, it's one of the funniest things I've ever read on any message board.

He came here for music, but almost didn't because of the football program? Wise old dad assured him that we'd play for all the marbles while every other fan wanted Butch out. Your son believes you, chooses us, and the rest is history.

Seriously, it's sad NO matter the truth. Either way, it stinks of b.s., but whatever.

It's a true story. Sad thing is that he's pretty much stopped following the Canes, altogether. Several years ago he said that he didn't believe the administration was committed to winning, or that they felt it was even desirable.

So who did he jump on the bandwagon with, if he follows anything these days?

Advertisement
Chud pretty much signaled yesterday he is not taking the job.

The Colts season ends on Jan 3 and they might make the playoffs.

We need a coach in place by early Dec at the latest.

What Butch did was nothing short of amazing in light of the crippling sactions imposed by the NCAA.

He needs to make better coordinator choices this time around.

Chud cannot recruit at all as well as Butch and for talent evaluation Jimmy Johnson said Butch davis is the best he's seen. There were some rough years but Butch inherited an NCAA situation that was over 3 times, yes 3 times, worse than what Al Golden had. It took 3-4 years to build a team and when he did he built the best team in college football history.

Chud is a good guy, not a good recruiter, a smart man with limited head coaching experience and 4-12 at the Browns is hardly an endorsement. Chud will turn off the fan base entirely and in my opinion a bad choice.

You don't know siht.

You may take notice to look up a girl's perspective and why she chose UM - because of the football program.

Jennifer Urs.

Wrote an article on it. She's a very bright young woman, and in fact, when we started winning under Schnellenberger, then Jimmy, etc., the University started really growing with new admissions - apparently, going to a successful sports school really did matter to some kids.

Lots of kids don't want to listen to their friends who attend other schools rag on them all the time because the football team sucks. Which is why it's important for the U to get it's crap together and get this program back on track.

I know Jen, have read her article, but most would agree there are far better reasons to attend a university besides sports. Choosing a school based on sports is the exception rather than the norm. Depending on your chosen field of study, it can either be a good decision or very poor one.

Yes, the football team did wonders for this school academically. No question there, but even with wins being down, academics still rose.

Your last paragraph is laughably funny though. It's important to have the football team back in track so our students don't get ragged on. If that's a students biggest complaint in college, they must be doing everything else right. Besides that though, I just don't know how anyone made it through the school or why they even bothered coming in this last decade of irrelevance.

Let me put this another way.

Until Schnellenberger won the NC, few outside the 305 were even aware there was a UM. That was their introduction to UM. Through JJ, Ericksen, and Butch Davis, even with the scandals, it was football that kept UM in the general public's mind.

UM has nothing that can't be found at other Universities. Nothing. Kids like to go to fun schools - as a group - and fun schools seem to revolved around their football teams, as that's the most visible manifestation one is exposed to.

UM drew kids here because it was a winning program. It was in the news. It was the happening school among very few.

Will UM have students without the football team? Yeah.

Will UM have MORE students WITH a winning program? Yeah.

You may think pure academics should be the prime consideration when considering a school to go to, but if that's truly the sole criteria, there's Harvard, MIT, CalTECH, Brown, Stanford, Cornell, University of Michigan, Columbia, University of Washington (Med), Yale, Penn, Purdue, Penn State, Princeton, NYU, Carnegie Mellon, Duke, University of Chicago, John Hopkins, Dartmouth, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Rice, Emory, Georgetown, and the list goes on and on and on.

Stanford, Michigan, Washington, Penn State, and Duke, just out of the names I just mentioned also have pretty good football programs, but the best academic schools really don't put much emphasis on football.

So if it's pure academics - there's a lot of choices.

But if you want a good school, with a great football team - UM was for decades, where the action was.

And can be again.

Advertisement
There will certainly be more coaches clamoring for the OC (sounds like this person is already known - Dorsey) and DC jobs in Miami as compared to UNC if that's what you mean.....

I'm already happy with who the OC would be. I'm sure the DC will get it done because if there's one thing Butch knows it's defense....

Chud pretty much signaled yesterday he is not taking the job.

The Colts season ends on Jan 3 and they might make the playoffs.

We need a coach in place by early Dec at the latest.

What Butch did was nothing short of amazing in light of the crippling sactions imposed by the NCAA.

He needs to make better coordinator choices this time around.

What a condescending, pretentious cumrag you are.

Klamalama... everyone on here thought you were some geek teenager with too much time on your hands after class with your 4 million posts a day. Unreal that you are not only an adult but a father no less. Jesus christ dude...lay off the internet for a while

Advertisement
Klamalama... everyone on here thought you were some geek teenager with too much time on your hands after class with your 4 million posts a day. Unreal that you are not only an adult but a father no less. Jesus christ dude...lay off the internet for a while

I'm retired. Canes are one of my hobbies.

Any update from OP about Chud now that he's almost 100% staying the NFL due to recent promotion?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back