New book about Miami football

Dan E. Dangerously

This board...it's my note
Maude
One of my gf's poli sci professors wrote a book about Miami and Georgetown programs of the 1980s, and the intersections of sports, culture, and race. Just got it and it's pretty interesting so far. The author is a Nole grad from up-state NY, so he hated both when he was younger. Dan Le Batard, Billy Corben, and Chuck Todd contributed to the Miami sections. There's an entire chapter called John and Jimmy, Patrick and Michael, where they are singled out as the faces of those teams.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Sorry, anything with that dipspit LeBetard will be a hard pass and Corben is no saint. Plus poli sci is a joke major, everyone in the school of communication took it as their second major because it is a joke.

Semper Canes!!!
People in Comm looking down their noses at ANYONE is a joke. Is Poli Sci comparable to a hard science in regards to difficulty? Of course not, but it wasn't the kind of cake walk any and every Comm track is. Easiest way to tell if a major is easy at UMiami: Look at how many Greek chicks are involved. If you walk in and it's letter central, odds are you won't be required to do much. Thats your "I'm here to hit on chicks and see how many I can bang" hour.

Advertisement
yay we made the Miami hurricanes a race issue. I’ve never seen something like this before.
I remember the Herald talking about it thirty years ago, how Miami football was a celebration of black culture, and how the rest of CFB hated us for it. The culmination was the 91 Cotton Bowl, and how the NCAA made rules changes based on Miami player celebrations, etc.

One of my gf's poli sci professors wrote a book about Miami and Georgetown programs of the 1980s, and the intersections of sports, culture, and race. Just got it and it's pretty interesting so far. The author is a Nole grad from up-state NY, so he hated both when he was younger. Dan Le Batard, Billy Corben, and Chuck Todd contributed to the Miami sections. There's an entire chapter called John and Jimmy, Patrick and Michael, where they are singled out as the faces of those teams.

I made this exact argument earlier this week about the cultural similarities between UM and G-town, and how both schools received the same reaction from the 1980's predominantly white, college and media establishment. My argument was entirely anecdotal.

Where's my brother @Boarcane to read this thread? He and I generally agree on issues but we were definitely on opposite sides of how Georgetown basketball was received.

I made this exact argument earlier this week about the cultural similarities between UM and G-town, and how both schools received the same reaction from the 1980's predominantly white, college and media establishment. My argument was entirely anecdotal.

Where's my brother @Boarcane to read this thread? He and I generally agree on issues but we were definitely on opposite sides of how Georgetown basketball was received.
I’m over this discussion. I hope they sell a lot of books. 2LiveCrew and NWA fit that narrative. I remember Miami, The Fab Five and Georgetown differently. They were the most popular programs in the country. Everyone wanted to be them. Miami was a little more like the Raiders. People either loved them or they were the villains. Either way making it about race will be the most divisive, controversial and make it something for required reading at universities. Congratulations more people making money. It’s a win for everyone without a horse in this race. Are the authors white, well educated suburban kids that came from wealth? I’ll guess yes to all four.

Last edited:
I’m over this discussion. I hope they sell a lot of books. 2LiveCrew and NWA fit that narrative. I remember Miami, The Fab Five and Georgetown differently. They were the most popular programs in the country. Everyone wanted to be them. Miami was a little more like the Raiders. People either loved them or they were the villains. Either way making it about race will be the most divisive, controversial and make it something for required reading at universities. Congratulations more people making money. It’s a win for everyone without a horse in this race. Are the authors white, well educated suburban kids that came from wealth? I’ll guess yes to all three.
A lot of the stuff in the book was touched on in the The U documentaries. This book just examines specific issues with a bigger lens. I was too young to really pay attention to those Georgetown teams. I always thought UNLV was a closer comparison to Miami football. Like me, the author is whiter than mayo and race is absolutely part of the book, but not in totality. Remember, this is only ~20 years after college football was fully integrated across D1. Those ugly feelings didn't vanish into thin air when Bama and the rest of the deep south started taking black players.

It also talks about the impact on culture, particularly hip hop. He's speaking as a rival fan of both programs, reexamining how they were perceived then. He was at the '85 Georgetown/Syracuse game in the Carrier Dome and the '87 FSU game in Tally. It's also about style of play (swagger), and their respective auras, making it cool to be the bad guy in sports. Very much like the Raiders as you said, which hadn't happened yet in college sports. They both won their first titles in the same academic season. Both were unlikely programs to become powerhouse teams. And in both cases their swagger/image/style was copied, after initially being vilified.

Advertisement
The precursor to the Miami's, Georgetown's, UNLV's,, & Michigan's of the world, in terms of swagger , was Phi Slamma Jamma, every one their starters could take flight on yo' ***.
The only difference is everyone seemed to love Phi Slamma Jamma. Man they were fun to watch. Their Final Four victory over Louisville in ‘83 was a track meet disguised as a basketball game. Its kind of insane to think that a college team with Hakeem and Clyde the Glide never won a championshIp.

I remember the Herald talking about it thirty years ago, how Miami football was a celebration of black culture, and how the rest of CFB hated us for it. The culmination was the 91 Cotton Bowl, and how the NCAA made rules changes based on Miami player celebrations, etc.
Exactly. It’s about Miami culture. Not race.

Advertisement
It was a race issue no matter how deep you want to bury your head in the sand. They were calling our Black players all kinds of monkeys & apes when we played BYU over there that one year.
Interesting. I never knew we were the only team to have black players.

I’m over this discussion. I hope they sell a lot of books. 2LiveCrew and NWA fit that narrative. I remember Miami, The Fab Five and Georgetown differently. They were the most popular programs in the country. Everyone wanted to be them. Miami was a little more like the Raiders. People either loved them or they were the villains. Either way making it about race will be the most divisive, controversial and make it something for required reading at universities. Congratulations more people making money. It’s a win for everyone without a horse in this race. Are the authors white, well educated suburban kids that came from wealth? I’ll guess yes to all four.
Everyone loved Georgetown? I know nothing about them, except I see a lot of rappers from that period wearing Georgetown gear, which I always found strange, but this explains it. Where they one of the first all black teams too or something?

Also, what does NWA have to do with us? I get the 2live example,but did NWA ally with the U?

Interesting. I never knew we were the only team to have black players.

We were the only team that had Black players that played the way we did. Funny because I can show you numerous clips of White players celebrating big plays the same way we did pre-Big Time Miami, crickets from the media...as soon as we did it, here comes the pearl clutchin'.

Advertisement
Back