New book about Miami football

We were the only team that had Black players that played the way we did. Funny because I can show you numerous clips of White players celebrating big plays the same way we did pre-Big Time Miami, crickets from the media...as soon as we did it, here comes the pearl clutchin'.
Ok you just made my point. It’s about Miami culture.

Advertisement
Everyone loved Georgetown? I know nothing about them, except I see a lot of rappers from that period wearing Georgetown gear, which I always found strange, but this explains it. Where they one of the first all black teams too or something?

Also, what does NWA have to do with us? I get the 2live example,but did NWA ally with the U?

IDK about NY, but I'd say GT gear was 2nd to Miami gear down here at the time. And GT also had a bit of a cocaine/dope boy culture surrounding their program. Dope boys funded a lot of the AAU programs that John Thompson got His players from. And Alonzo Mourning was Rayful Edmond's homeboy, Rayful was probably the biggest dope boy on the East Coast, Zo had to testify at His trial.

I’m over this discussion. I hope they sell a lot of books. 2LiveCrew and NWA fit that narrative. I remember Miami, The Fab Five and Georgetown differently. They were the most popular programs in the country. Everyone wanted to be them. Miami was a little more like the Raiders. People either loved them or they were the villains. Either way making it about race will be the most divisive, controversial and make it something for required reading at universities. Congratulations more people making money. It’s a win for everyone without a horse in this race. Are the authors white, well educated suburban kids that came from wealth? I’ll guess yes to all four.
The thing is when people talk about "making it about race", they miss the point. The people discussing it aren't making it that way, the public is. America is. People and teams are treated and viewed differently based on race so it's a little unfair to act like by talking about race I'm making it a problem. Talking about racism isn't the problem, racism is the problem.

IDK about NY, but I'd say GT gear was 2nd to Miami gear down here at the time. And GT also had a bit of a cocaine/dope boy culture surrounding their program. Dope boys funded a lot of the AAU programs that John Thompson got His players from. And Alonzo Mourning was Rayful Edmond's homeboy, Rayful was probably the biggest dope boy on the East Coast, Zo had to testify at His trial.
appreciate the info bro. I think it was popular in NY too, because I saw some of the old heads wearing it in pictures in the early 90s. I wasn't born then so I am not sure how popular it was.

The thing is when people talk about "making it about race", they miss the point. The people discussing it aren't making it that way, the public is. America is. People and teams are treated and viewed differently based on race so it's a little unfair to act like by talking about race I'm making it a problem. Talking about racism isn't the problem, racism is the problem.
The thing is when you think it’s about race, sometimes it’s not. Sometimes it’s about race to you and those that want it to be about race only. America the country isn’t the problem. Racist and those that have a racist agenda are. I lived it, so the narrative I’m being sold, doesn’t have any validity for this specific topic. From the beginning of that decade through the end, sports was the singular most important thing in my life. I remember watching every single televised Georgetown, Miami Hurricanes and Michigan game. I also, spent my time professionally making my living talking about and researching sports in the 80’s. I spent thousands and thousands of hours of each basketball, baseball and football season focused on sports only. Race wasn’t the driving factor behind any negative narrative for those teams. By the 80’s rosters weren’t only fully integrated, but pendulum had swung the other way. People didn’t hate them because they weren’t white. That’s laughable in and of itself. The thing that upset people about each of them was different as it is for every team. The underlying and majority of hate came from the fact that those teams were unfairly in some peoples eyes stacked with talent. People and the media love the underdog. Those teams were favored always for an extremely long period of time in an overwhelming manner. The problem isn’t talking about racism, but making racism the problem when it really wasn’t. Talk all you want about race, but for most everyone at that time it wasn’t even a thought. Only for a select few, who make everything about race. I can’t change that for them or help them with todays problems too. I’m sure whatever is happening around them is race driven also, even if it’s simply going through the checkout line at Publix. When it’s about race, I’ll call it like it is all day, but **** for those iconic teams it’s INSULTING to their legacy’s to make it about that. They deserve more respect than dumbing down the popularity of those teams for their fans and rivals to race. I’m done with this forever respectfully. I loved all of those teams and still do. I don’t want this **** in my head. I’ll remember it how it was, not what agenda driven folks need it to be today.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I remember the Herald talking about it thirty years ago, how Miami football was a celebration of black culture, and how the rest of CFB hated us for it. The culmination was the 91 Cotton Bowl, and how the NCAA made rules changes based on Miami player celebrations, etc.
Spoke to Jimmy Harper about that game. Jimmy was the head official at the Cotton Bowl. Put this in perspective, he was the head of the SEC at thr time. He said he had never been part of a more dominating performance. We had about 200 yards of personal fouls. He said it was insane on the field.

Spoke to Jimmy Harper about that game. Jimmy was the head official at the Cotton Bowl. Put this in perspective, he was the head of the SEC at thr time. He said he had never been part of a more dominating performance. We had about 200 yards of personal fouls. He said it was insane on the field.
I was there Freezing....Coldest game I've ever been to....had to be 30°

The thing is when you think it’s about race, sometimes it’s not. Sometimes it’s about race to you and those that want it to be about race only. America the country isn’t the problem. Racist and those that have a racist agenda are. I lived it, so the narrative I’m being sold, doesn’t have any validity for this specific topic. From the beginning of that decade through the end, sports was the singular most important thing in my life. I remember watching every single televised Georgetown, Miami Hurricanes and Michigan game. I also, spent my time professionally making my living talking about and researching sports in the 80’s. I spent thousands and thousands of hours of each basketball, baseball and football season focused on sports only. Race wasn’t the driving factor behind any negative narrative for those teams. By the 80’s rosters weren’t only fully integrated, but pendulum had swung the other way. People didn’t hate them because they weren’t white. That’s laughable in and of itself. The thing that upset people about each of them was different as it is for every team. The underlying and majority of hate came from the fact that those teams were unfairly in some peoples eyes stacked with talent. People and the media love the underdog. Those teams were favored always for an extremely long period of time in an overwhelming manner. The problem isn’t talking about racism, but making racism the problem when it really wasn’t. Talk all you want about race, but for most everyone at that time it wasn’t even a thought. Only for a select few, who make everything about race. I can’t change that for them or help them with todays problems too. I’m sure whatever is happening around them is race driven also, even if it’s simply going through the checkout line at Publix. When it’s about race, I’ll call it like it is all day, but **** for those iconic teams it’s INSULTING to their legacy’s to make it about that. They deserve more respect than dumbing down the popularity of those teams for their fans and rivals to race. I’m done with this forever respectfully. I loved all of those teams and still do. I don’t want this **** in my head. I’ll remember it how it was, not what agenda driven folks need it to be today.
While I respect your opinion and don't doubt that's your experience, it's not so for everyone. What I find is that there's never a time you can talk about race. Any time it's brought up somebody pops up to say it's not about that, you're just making it that way. What this does is not allow for actual racism to be discussed because it's invalidated immediately. No matter what happens, it can be brushed off as the person talking about it making it a race thing. I would just ask you to explore the idea that maybe there's racism around that you don't see because it doesn't affect you. Maybe not, but think about it.

I appreciate your view and that you took the time to express it.

Advertisement
president speaker GIF

While I respect your opinion and don't doubt that's your experience, it's not so for everyone. What I find is that there's never a time you can talk about race. Any time it's brought up somebody pops up to say it's not about that, you're just making it that way. What this does is not allow for actual racism to be discussed because it's invalidated immediately. No matter what happens, it can be brushed off as the person talking about it making it a race thing. I would just ask you to explore the idea that maybe there's racism around that you don't see because it doesn't affect you. Maybe not, but think about it.

I appreciate your view and that you took the time to express it.
There’s plenty of racism around. I didn’t say there isn’t. I explained why the narrative didn’t make the story. You’re entitled to your opinion. Happy Easter and let’s win championships again. We are the “team they love to hate”.

Everyone loved Georgetown? I know nothing about them, except I see a lot of rappers from that period wearing Georgetown gear, which I always found strange, but this explains it. Where they one of the first all black teams too or something?

Also, what does NWA have to do with us? I get the 2live example,but did NWA ally with the U?
The comparison with NWA was about the cultural impact of the Canes and NWA and how they were so poorly received by the majority culture., and loved by those of us into counter culture in the 80’s.

Advertisement
Sorry, anything with that dipspit LeBetard will be a hard pass and Corben is no saint. Plus poli sci is a joke major, everyone in the school of communication took it as their second major because it is a joke.

Semper Canes!!!
My dad taught at the UM Med School in the 80s and he used to say the same thing about Poli Sci as a major lol.

Advertisement
Exactly. It’s about Miami culture. Not race.
That's bull. It was ALWAYS about race. Miami and UNLV had a bunch of young Black men as the faces of their program and the coaches allowed them to be themselves and not fit into "The Mainstream".

Remember how Jimmy graduated over 70 percent of his student athletes despite people calling them uneducated thugs? I do. I remember Jimmy and his program being called renegades, when you had places like Alabama straight up buying kids and people like Bo and JoePa were allowing sexual assault to happen.

Tark took kids that Kentucky and other blue blood schools would and did take and no one cared. No one cares that Chris Washburn couldn't read, mostly because Jimmy V was beloved in a way Tark wasn't. Tark called the NCAA on their bull**** and has the check to prove it.

Rayful also got invited into Big John's office, where John told him that he needed to stay away from his guys, because they had futures. Ray actually did out of respect for John. He had that kind of impact, because he was THAT DUDE. He instilled a lot of pride in people, because he didn't play by anyone else's rules. He didn't softshoe for anyone, he was militant as ****, but in his own way. Tark was similar in that way, mostly because Tark was the child of immigrants and grew up fighting for respect.

People forget that John was the first big name Black Coach in the modern era, that was at an integrated institution. Before then, you had Big House Gaines, you had John McLendon, but they were mostly at HBCUs, so they could be ignored nationally. You couldn't ignore John. You couldn't ignore this mountain of a man that wasn't about the nonsense, that built a dominant program at a small, private school. Keep in mind, you had pockets of Black America that thought that Georgetown was an HBCU, because of John Thompson and his program. Combine that with the uptempo, physical style GU played with and it is easy to see why urban kids rocked Georgetown gear over places like Duke, UNC and others. UNLV was the 90s version of that. If you had a UNLV Starter jacket in 92, you were legit.

Advertisement
Back