New Barry Jackson

scrantoncane

Sophomore
Mods, delete if necessary.

Defensive front 7 is where this team may still show growing pains.

Without the benefit of seeing these guys practice, on paper I think Mesidor at SDE and Harvey at WDE, with Taylor and JHH/Miller seems like the best option. I think ideally Mesidor would play inside (idk if he is quick/explosive enough out of his stance to be a true pass rush thread at EDGE), but you play the hand you are dealt.

---

Eight things a UM analyst came away thinking after the offseason. And more perspective BY BARRY JACKSON JULY 13, 2022 12:55 PM

Eight things that UM radio analyst Don Bailey Jr. came away thinking after watching the Hurricanes (including closed practices) this offseason, and my additional thoughts:

▪ At running back: “We’re very fortunate to have [Mississippi transfer] Henry Parrish. I saw Parrish play against Arkansas and I was thoroughly impressed. If he’s a 100 yard rusher in an SEC game, he certainly can help us. Parrish is a talent. It’s obvious we needed running backs when you go through spring football with two. [And] Thad Franklin definitely showed improvement from last season to spring football.”

My take: This is the first time I can recall a running back competition with at least three legitimate candidates: Don Chaney and Jaylan Knighton (back from injury) and Parrish, whom I make the slight front-runner. And Franklin and freshman TreVonte’ Citizen will push for playing time. TOP VIDEOS ×

▪ The most interesting thing to Bailey about the offensive line: “Where Jalen Rivers plays,” Bailey said. He opened last season as the starting left guard (before a season-ending knee injury in the third game) but also can play right tackle. “He’s got to play,” Bailey said. “When he’s healthy, he is an asset. Athleticism, good footwork, size, intelligence, experience. He’s complete and on his way to being [very good]. With Mario Cristobal and Alex Mirabal, you will see big improvement in that unit.”

My take: If Rivers wins a job - and he should - that would leave one spot open beyond projected starters Zion Nelson, DJ Scaife and Jakai Clark. Oregon transfers Logan Sagapolu and Jonathan Denis would be among the contenders.

▪ Even though Jaleel Skinner and Elijah Arroyo are exceptional young talents who could press for a lot of playing time, Bailey remains convinced that “Will Mallory is the guy” even though he had a slow start last season before finishing strong, and even though a shoulder injury short-circuited his spring. Find more sports news, plus coverage from Sports Illustrated. READ MORE “A healthy Will Mallory is the man, period,” Bailey said. “My immediate thought on Skinner is I can see why he was a four or five star guy. He will help. He benefited greatly from being here in the spring.”

My take: Expect a lot more two tight-end sets with Josh Gattis replacing Rhett Lashlee. There’s no tight end on the roster more talented than the early enrollee Skinner, but Arroyo has the edge of having spent a full year in a college strength and conditioning program.

▪ On wide receiver, Bailey said: “Without question, Xavier Restrepo had the best spring and was the most productive. He was the most consistent receiver. I have to believe Key’Shawn Smith will continue to get better. I don’t think anything is clear cut at that position other than Restrepo is going to play.”

My take: I would be shocked if Restrepo and Smith do not play a ton. Beyond that, the battle for snaps will be interesting between Clemson transfer Frank Ladson and junior college addition Colbie Young (who will be directly competing, with at least one likely to play a lot), Jacolby George (with the first team most of spring), Romello Brinson and Brashard Smith (the quintessential multi-purpose weapon) and Michael Redding Jr.

▪ On cornerback: Bailey said: “I felt better coming out of spring than going in and I feel even better with [West Virginia transfer] Daryl Porter Jr. and [the return of Tyrique Stevenson. That unit has progressed. Te’Cory Couch will get better.”

My take: Porter was solid for West Virginia, but he’s going to need to earn the No. 2 cornerback job over Couch (who had a good spring), Al Blades Jr. (don’t underestimate him) and DJ Ivey, among others. Porter had a 99.2 passer rating in his coverage area last season, so he’s not being handed a starting job.

▪ On safety, Bailey said: “It’s a good problem to have” with at least three starting caliber players. “Kam Kinchens is going to play. James Williams is going to play. The obvious thing you see is James’ pure length and physical ability and his speed. He’s a presence. With Avantae Williams, I still go back to that interception he made [last season]. If he wasn’t standing next to James Williams, he would pop a little more. You’re standing next to a specimen.”

My take: I believe defensive coordinator Kevin Steele will get James Williams, Avantae Williams and Kam Kinchens on the field together for a significant amount of snaps. And I won’t be surprised if Brian Balom returns from his 2021 injury to become a factor.

▪ On what stood out about the top defensive ends from the spring (Jahfari Harvey, Jacob Lichtenstein, Chantz Williams, Cyrus Moss), Bailey said: “Harvey is the guy. Without a question, Jahfari Harvey impressed with his effort, his increased size, impressed with how he has improved his pass rush and he had a very good spring.”

My take: Coaches are hoping for a breakout from Harvey, who is rated the nation’s 16th best defensive end in Phil Steele’s respected preseason guide. UCLA transfer Mitchell Agude, Harvey and Chantz Williams will play a lot; transfers Akheem Mesidor and Jason Lichtenstein can play end or tackle.

▪ On defensive tackle, Bailey said: “Leonard Taylor got better. And I think Jordan Miller will help a lot.” Can Taylor be as impactful as Gerald Willis was in his final year at UM? “Taylor has shown me there’s not much he can’t do, but Willis’ best year was his fifth year. Can Taylor produce the same type of production that Willis did? We have to wait three years to see that. The ceiling is very high.”

My take: I expect a big jump from Taylor. If Lichtenstein and Mesidor and Maryland transfer Darrell Williams play a lot, that could cut into the snaps of Jared Harrison Hunte and Miller. This group, on paper, is improved, even with Nesta Silvera leaving for Arizona State.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article261251717.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I’ll try to say this respectfully: there are some f’in awful takes in there.

‘Will Mallory is the man. Period.’ What? Why? Care to explain, sir? I’m not even against Will. But that reasoning begs for some… actual analysis.

Perhaps Barry can re-title his article as ‘some random takes for fans who don’t really follow the team during the off-season.’

I’ll try to say this respectfully: there are some f’in awful takes in there.

‘Will Mallory is the man. Period.’ What? Why? Care to explain, sir? I’m not even against Will. But that reasoning begs for some… actual analysis.
I’ve heard that one before. He is a good player but this guy makes it sound like he has beer flavored nipples.

Advertisement
Back