Never To Early: 2019 First-Round NFL Mock Draft

Advertisement
Some of these mock drafts are worthless. Who is Seth Trachtman?

Dane Brugler is the best in the business and he just put out his 1st mock draft after joining the Athletic. He has no Canes in the 1st round which should be a reality check for most of the fans here. Our guys have a lot yet to prove this season. Meanwhile LSU has 2 top-20 picks in the mock, FSU has 1 in the top 20, and Clemson has 3 in the top 15.

Brugler: The inaugural Top-32 NFL Draft Board is dominated...

I know most of the members here are misers who have never paid a cent for sports coverage but the Athletic is hiring everyone in sports media and it's easy to find cheap rates for a 1st-year sub. I recommend giving it a free trial at least to see if it's worth it.

Dane Brugler is the best in the business and he just put out his 1st mock draft after joining the Athletic. He has no Canes in the 1st round which should be a reality check for most of the fans here. Our guys have a lot yet to prove this season. Meanwhile LSU has 2 top-20 picks in the mock, FSU has 1 in the top 20, and Clemson has 3 in the top 15.

I know most of the members here are misers who have never paid a cent for sports coverage but the Athletic is hiring everyone in sports media and it's easy to find cheap rates for a 1st-year sub. I recommend giving it a free trial at least to see if it's worth it.

You're support for The Athletic aside, any mock draft at this point is no more accurate then a blind man throwing darts.

You have a general sense of who some of the top guys will be, but it all depends on the season/injuries/combine/interviews/team need.

Burgler is not the best in the business, and it’s all subjective anyway. People will have different mocks, saw someone with Miami having 3 players in the first round in that one

Burgler is not the best in the business, and it’s all subjective anyway. People will have different mocks, saw someone with Miami having 3 players in the first round in that one

He has better sources than any of the other draft media guys. Eric Galko is also good. Don't put any stock into mocks written by draftniks with no sources.

Advertisement

Everyone knows Brock is the best in the business.

Advertisement
NFL teams fall in love with the measurables during draft season, so I'm sure Mike Jack (6'2") will go ahead of a guy like Jaquan (5'10"). But I hope my team is lucky enough to have Jaquan fall to them after the first round. Dude has been outplaying his ranking his whole life, guys like that are fun to root for.

Best in the business yet very 1st round pick is from a P-5 school?

Yeah ok.

He's terrible, lazy, and blinded by recruiting rankings, like most of these guys

Advertisement
He has better sources than any of the other draft media guys. Eric Galko is also good. Don't put any stock into mocks written by draftniks with no sources.
Even those sources are in outer space at this point in the year. If you've ever talked to any of them, ask them deep questions about players we know (usually Canes or South Florida recruits). They haven't yet done their homework and, often times, they completely whiff on opinions even around draft time. Many of these "scouts" and "sources" are thought of entirely too highly. During Law School, I interviewed with a former NFL GM as I strongly considered going down the long, ****** path of climbing the ranks of an NFL organization. I couldn't believe the absurd rationales he used as we discussed past picks/players.

These lists are often nothing more than a combination of star rankings, previous season hype and PR - which is fair because it gives at least some basis to throw out a projection. Although I do agree with the premise that we, as Canes fans, often overrate our own players or give them too much unearned hype (as it relates to prospect status).

Last edited:
These lists are often nothing more than a combination of star rankings, previous season hype and PR - which is fair because it gives at least some basis to throw out a projection. Although I do agree with the premise that we, as Canes fans, often overrate our own players or give them too much unearned hype (as it relates to prospect status).
Truth

NFL teams fall in love with the measurables during draft season, so I'm sure Mike Jack (6'2") will go ahead of a guy like Jaquan (5'10"). But I hope my team is lucky enough to have Jaquan fall to them after the first round. Dude has been outplaying his ranking his whole life, guys like that are fun to root for.
I can see JJ dropping just because of his size. I’ll never forget Zach Thomas falling for this reason. Size be damned, a player is a player. JJ is a player.

Advertisement
Even those sources are in outer space at this point in the year. If you've ever talked to any of them, ask them deep questions about players we know (usually Canes or South Florida recruits). They haven't yet done their homework and, often times, they completely whiff on opinions even around draft time. Many of these "scouts" and "sources" are thought of entirely too highly. During Law School, I interviewed with a former NFL GM as I strongly considered going down the long, ****** path of climbing the ranks of an NFL organization. I couldn't believe the absurd rationales he used as we discussed past picks/players.

There is merit to some of the things you said. Teams obviously don't finalize their draft board until after the season leading up to the draft. A lot of scouts and executives have traditional ideas about evaluating and speak in cliches and platitudes. But time has passed since your encounter and a lot of current scouts probably weren't in the industry at that time. I don't think Howie Roseman uses absurd rationales to make draft decisions, for example.

I don't value the opinions of the draft media very highly but there are prominent members like Brugler/Galko/Miller/Pauline who have a variety of sources and the intel to produce more accurate mock drafts and reports. Those are the ones I use (if ever) but I wouldn't blindly mimic anything someone says on the internet. It's best to form your opinions if possible. My personal opinion is that no eligible Canes are 1st rounders at this time until they show improvement on gameday. Anyone who says otherwise is projecting growth that hasn't happened yet.

There is merit to some of the things you said. Teams obviously don't finalize their draft board until after the season leading up to the draft. A lot of scouts and executives have traditional ideas about evaluating and speak in cliches and platitudes. But time has passed since your encounter and a lot of current scouts probably weren't in the industry at that time. I don't think Howie Roseman uses absurd rationales to make draft decisions, for example.

I don't value the opinions of the draft media very highly but there are prominent members like Brugler/Galko/Miller/Pauline who have a variety of sources and the intel to produce more accurate mock drafts and reports. Those are the ones I use (if ever) but I wouldn't blindly mimic anything someone says on the internet. It's best to form your opinions if possible. My personal opinion is that no eligible Canes are 1st rounders at this time until they show improvement on gameday. Anyone who says otherwise is projecting growth that hasn't happened yet.

Isn't that what your "prominent members like Brugler/Galko/Miller/Pauline" are doing? Aren't they projecting growth based on previous performance? Just sayin. I mean thank you for helping every Cane fan here by keeping it real and grounded and not get caught up in potential and hype. But I just want to be clear, if you can please, so these prominent members are not projecting, but the guys here are?

I didn't write anything using absolutes re: the scouts and front offices. Of course there are sound decision-makers. It's why many of the same teams often hit more than they miss.

Re: media and sources: I, too, value people with sources. I've seen first-hand some of the information is very real - other times it's stretched or mired in bias. Like with anything else, it's about context. And, at this stage in the process, more often than not (so, yet another qualifier), the info coming from scouts is fairly loose. At one point, scouts and sources talked about Stephen Morris as a potential first rounder. Eek.

As for the Canes perspectives, we're mostly on the same page. Richards is a potential first round pick. Joe Jackson is a potential first round pick. Michael Jackson might surprise. I don't yet see it in the LBs because of multiple barriers re: position, measurables, etc., but we'll see what happens this season.

Isn't that what your "prominent members like Brugler/Galko/Miller/Pauline" are doing? Aren't they projecting growth based on previous performance? Just sayin. I mean thank you for helping every Cane fan here by keeping it real and grounded and not get caught up in potential and hype. But I just want to be clear, if you can please, so these prominent members are not projecting, but the guys here are?

Those 1st 3 guys are definitely the types to project performance leaps. Pauline is more strict to what he sees on film. But I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that their mocks are heavily influenced by NFL intel and not just personal preference.

Re: Stephen Morris - EJ Manuel WAS a 1st round pick! I still contend Morris should have been a 1st rounder by that standard cause even on his worst scattershot days he's way better than Manuel.

Advertisement
Back