Never To Early: 2019 First-Round NFL Mock Draft

Re: Stephen Morris - EJ Manuel WAS a 1st round pick! I still contend Morris should have been a 1st rounder by that standard cause even on his worst scattershot days he's way better than Manuel.
Ha. That's a terrifying precedent, though. 6 years later, EJ Manuel is still struggling to come off his 1st read. Taking a QB is a rough spot as a scout/GM, but perhaps because of bias against, most of us seemed confident Manuel would bust.

Tyrod Taylor, on the other hand, has exceeded expectations.

Advertisement
Devin Bush smh...imagine our LB core with Devin, Shaq, Mike, and Zach?

Mocks this far out are a joke. It's fun but like tossing darts at a fantasy draft list.

I remember when Paxton Lynch was the #1 prospect in that early mock period. The one things this draft class does have is STUD dlinemen. If you need a QB, good luck. If you need a DL, the top 5-10 is loaded with them.

Mocks this far out are a joke. It's fun but like tossing darts at a fantasy draft list.

I remember when Paxton Lynch was the #1 prospect in that early mock period. The one things this draft class does have is STUD dlinemen. If you need a QB, good luck. If you need a DL, the top 5-10 is loaded with them.

I confess I bought the hype. Apparently he likes video games more than football so his issues go beyond talent. He can make some ridiculous throws and isn't a total statue like Mallett.

I confess I bought the hype. Apparently he likes video games more than football so his issues go beyond talent. He can make some ridiculous throws and isn't a total statue like Mallett.

Haha - appreciate the honesty Seas. I always thought it was a gimmick offense and he needed serious work on fundamentals.

Advertisement
I cant See Devin bush going in the first round, he’s good but so was Denzel perryman and bush isn’t better than he was. Perryman went in 2nd

I cant See Devin bush going in the first round, he’s good but so was Denzel perryman and bush isn’t better than he was. Perryman went in 2nd
Ehh he wont go in the 1st unless he has a Kuechly type year. The defense and scheme he plays in probably wont allow it though. Bush's size is the only thing keeping him out of the 1st imo. He's faster and more instinctual than DP.

Then again, the NFL is evolving so short/fast LBs like Jatavis Brown and Devin Bush will soon be coveted over the traditional Lb

Ehh he wont go in the 1st unless he has a Kuechly type year. The defense and scheme he plays in probably wont allow it though. Bush's size is the only thing keeping him out of the 1st imo. He's faster and more instinctual than DP.

Then again, the NFL is evolving so short/fast LBs like Jatavis Brown and Devin Bush will soon be coveted over the traditional Lb
More instinctual than dp? Man I don’t think so

I didn't write anything using absolutes re: the scouts and front offices. Of course there are sound decision-makers. It's why many of the same teams often hit more than they miss.

Re: media and sources: I, too, value people with sources. I've seen first-hand some of the information is very real - other times it's stretched or mired in bias. Like with anything else, it's about context. And, at this stage in the process, more often than not (so, yet another qualifier), the info coming from scouts is fairly loose. At one point, scouts and sources talked about Stephen Morris as a potential first rounder. Eek.

As for the Canes perspectives, we're mostly on the same page. Richards is a potential first round pick. Joe Jackson is a potential first round pick. Michael Jackson might surprise. I don't yet see it in the LBs because of multiple barriers re: position, measurables, etc., but we'll see what happens this season.
Yep. Kaaya made some high pick lists heading into his junior year.

Joe Jackson will measure and test well, and he is a prototype, so he could easily be a very high pick.

Richards has that sort of ability, but he has to go prove it, including durability.

M. Jackson, IMO is more of a round 2-3 guy (with a good season). Good size, speed and ability, but not first round athletic ability. He’s a guy we probably overrate as fans relative to draft potential.

Advertisement
I’d like to see or hear actual commentary from real NFL scouts on the group of eligible Canes. What flaws do they see (if any) in Joe Jackson when projecting him to the NFL?

QBs are always an enigma. Personnel guys seem to fall in love with measureables like arm strength, size, whatever. Think back to the Peyton Manning vs Ryan Leaf debates in NFL war rooms. Manning is one of the GOATs, and Leaf one of the all-time busts.

Drew Breeze was too short. 2nd rounder. Better get him fitted for his HOF jacket. First overall was Vick. Generational physical gifts. Should have done better background checks.

Advertisement
Back