Never Realized How Little Richt Throws to the RB's

sitzee

Freshman
I just went over every game so far this year and we've only thrown to the RB's all of 17 times all year? Against LSU only 2 throws to the RB and they were both completions.
Against SSU we threw 4 passes to the RB's & 3 were completed, Toledo 0 passes found their way to the RB's, FIU 7 passes to RB's with 4 passes completed, N.C. 0 Passes to the RB's but we only threw 12 passes the whole game, and against FSU 4 passes to the RB's & 2 were completed

17 Att - 11 completions? It's a high percentage completion rate why not throw more to the RB's

I love Richt but why not a couple of swing passes to the RB's, especially when you have a QB that's still feeling his way? I get that he may want to avoid the middle of the field especially when we had Rosier back there, I do see a few more passes toward the middle with Perry. But a few easy passes to the RB's?

Advertisement
I just went over every game so far this year and we've only thrown to the RB's all of 17 times all year? Against LSU only 2 throws to the RB and they were both completions.
Against SSU we threw 4 passes to the RB's & 3 were completed, Toledo 0 passes found their way to the RB's, FIU 7 passes to RB's with 4 passes completed, N.C. 0 Passes to the RB's but we only threw 12 passes the whole game, and against FSU 4 passes to the RB's & 2 were completed

17 Att - 11 completions? It's a high percentage completion rate why not throw more to the RB's

I love Richt but why not a couple of swing passes to the RB's, especially when you have a QB that's still feeling his way? I get that he may want to avoid the middle of the field especially when we had Rosier back there, I do see a few more passes toward the middle with Perry. But a few easy passes to the RB's?
Need to, Tom Brady is the best QB ever and he constantly uses his running backs every game

It was a real emphasis with Fisch. We should especially to Deejay. Break a tackle its usually a 1st down.

Advertisement

or wheel routes that have killed our defense before.

or wheel routes that have killed our defense before.
I love wheel routes. They are so hard to defend.

But for real, we're not throwing to the backs because we're having to keep them in on pass pro. Moving Donaldson back inside and replacing him with a more athletic tackle in Scaife should solve that issue. ND was being beaten so often by speed rushers, we rarely have been able to run pass routes with our backs.

But for real, we're not throwing to the backs because we're having to keep them in on pass pro. Moving Donaldson back inside and replacing him with a more athletic tackle in Scaife should solve that issue. ND was being beaten so often by speed rushers, we rarely have been able to run pass routes with our backs.
Yes sir you get it

Advertisement

This could also be indicative of our poor o-line play. I see our RB's assist in blocking quite a bit and aren't always running routes.

Its a weakness in either our game planning or execution Either way, we should be killing fools with the type of talent we have access to at the RB position.

Between Deejay, Thomas and Lingard - we should be moving those guys around to create mismatches in and out of the backfield.

Will start seeing a lot more single-safety over the top then I imagine as well

Richt needs to step it up.

I remember the first year Richt was here we threw quite a bit to the RBs.. that was Walton and Yearby.

2016 the RBs combined for 40 catches, last year was 30 catches, and now we're on pace for 22.

I remember lots of big catches going to Homer, Dallas, and Walton last year. Lots over the middle of the field. Dallas averaged 23 ypc, Walton 13 ypc, and Homer over 12 ypc.

Successful when we use it. Gotta think it'll be similar to the bubble screens (seen them but sparingly) and wildcat with Deejay... something we used to do pretty well that hasn't been used very much this year. I'd like to see Brevin getting the screens like David Njoku used to. Those were lethal.

Play of the oline will dictate when and how rbs can be used in the passing part of the game.

Advertisement
It's been mentioned already but they are using the backs for pass protection more this year. It's literally THE reason Lingard isn't getting any snaps. I would have killed for a running back screen against FSU though. They were just pinning back their ears on every play. If you struggle in protection, as screen or two is a good way to slow down the rush.

Its a weakness in either our game planning or execution Either way, we should be killing fools with the type of talent we have access to at the RB position.

Between Deejay, Thomas and Lingard - we should be moving those guys around to create mismatches in and out of the backfield.

Will start seeing a lot more single-safety over the top then I imagine as well

Richt needs to step it up.

You can tell from the way our RB screens look in games that we don't practice it very often.

Advertisement

If we can somehow figure out how to get it blocked longed enough a wheel route to Deejay/Homer out of the backfield is instant 6. **** I would love to see us run one with Lingard or even Choc out of the H-back.

Even the one we ran with Cam vs FIU would've been a TD if there was just a lil more air on the ball.

It's Baffling? While at UGa he displayed the same pattern. 2013 was an anomaly, first I though maybe because he had Murray as the QB and he trusted him more but Murray was his QB in 2012 and 2011. 2011 was a joke, only 22 passes to the RB's.

I wonder if 2013 had anything to do with Wins & Losses?

2015 - 10-3 38 catches 365 yds. 9.8 ypc
2014 - 10-3 37 catches 376 yds. 10 ypc
2013 - 8-5 70 catches 828 yds. 11.8 ypc
2012 - 12-2 27 catches 208 yds. 8.0 ypc

Thank you

If we can somehow figure out how to get it blocked longed enough a wheel route to Deejay/Homer out of the backfield is instant 6. **** I would love to see us run one with Lingard or even Choc out of the H-back.

Even the one we ran with Cam vs FIU would've been a TD if there was just a lil more air on the ball.
I'd love to see us work in a wheel to the TE here and there also. A wheel to Jordan would be devastating.

Advertisement
Back