Nelson transforms body, in line to start against UF

View as article
Bench him for who? He’s starting for a reason.... the guy behind him is god awful
The starting lineup isn't set in stone. You've got dudes freaking out about him starting against Zuniga. I'm saying if when the lights come on God forbid he quickly gives up two sacks, you can bet we don't see him at LT the rest of the game. We'll adjust and substitute Herbert or make multiple adjustments and put Scaife at LT.

But I don't think that happens. I'm just saying all this gloom and doom is unwarranted.

Advertisement
Real question for all in the know. Taking our entire schedule AND Clemson (think big), will Zion see a better DE than Garvin?

Being honest, he’ll see some just as good. Garvin is one of the best ends in the nation but idk if he’s the best, so maybe he’d go against 1 or 2 that might be better

Being honest, he’ll see some just as good. Garvin is one of the best ends in the nation but idk if he’s the best, so maybe he’d go against 1 or 2 that might be better
On which team we're scheduled to face? You think Zuniga's better? FSPoo's starters(Brian Burns ain't walkin' through the door)? VagTech? Oh my bad their best edge guy wears Orange and Green now. Not saying he's flat out the best in CFB, but if we face an equal or better DE, it'll be because we had a helluva season...

Advertisement
Body type and current trajectory reminds me of a young Tryon Smith at USC.

As a cowboys fan I agree...

The way he’s put on weight and carrying it well might be a perfect comparison... just hope he can be as dominant at the position as Tyron is when healthy

True freshman making his first start against a redshirt senior with a 1st/2nd round NFL draft grade? It is what it is, but no one has mentioned the obvious factor here: if it's not working, we simply bench him.

I don't see what the entire craze is over this. Clearly, the coaches think he's the best LT we have. We'll soon see.

There are two sides to the “craze”. The positive is that Nelson came out of nowhere as a true freshman former Plan C recruit, and now has his position coach with NFL experience glowing about his progress and limitless potential. Could be a movie script in the making. The negative is that we need to rely on that type of luck to find our starting LT with no obvious guy behind him ready to step up if he fails or gets injured.

Not to mention a low three star
Not a low 3 star. Nelson was a 2 star when we signed him. We may have hit the Powerball Jackpot with this kid. Going from a 240lb fringe project type OL prospect that nobody gave a chance in the world to a 6'5" 290lb athletic freak who is 2 and a half weeks away from playing his first college game against the gator as the starting Left Tackle! I can't wait to see how Zion continues to develop over the next 4 years. We may have a very rare and special player on our hands here. I'll be rooting hard for him!

Advertisement
Unless it’s Sea bass..
Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 8.42.53 AM.png

So will this change the way we recruit OL ? You have to think we should take one shot every year at the guy that fits the Zion profile.

Advertisement
Not a low 3 star. Nelson was a 2 star when we signed him. We may have hit the Powerball Jackpot with this kid. Going from a 240lb fringe project type OL prospect that nobody gave a chance in the world to a 6'5" 290lb athletic freak who is 2 and a half weeks away from playing his first college game against the gator as the starting Left Tackle! I can't wait to see how Zion continues to develop over the next 4 years. We may have a very rare and special player on our hands here. I'll be rooting hard for him!

He'll be legendary if he ends up as a 4 year starter, AA caliber LT

Advertisement
True freshman making his first start against a redshirt senior with a 1st/2nd round NFL draft grade? It is what it is, but no one has mentioned the obvious factor here: if it's not working, we simply bench him.

I don't see what the entire craze is over this. Clearly, the coaches think he's the best LT we have. We'll soon see.

And going up against essentially the same type NFL prospect in practice every single day.

I also remember him lining up a lot at Strong-side Defensive End or whatever it's called in their scheme. So maybe Zuniga will be mostly going against our RT.....Whatever the case we need to contain him by any means.
The gaytors have a few packages where they line him up inside, that's where he usually doe ships damage, that being said I'm confident in Scaife, Gaynor, and Donaldson, UM's tackles just better be able to do the job.

Advertisement
Back