Need some help.

Advertisement
Look up Jedd Fisch's story. Or go bang on Adam Gase's door in Lauderdale. I wouldn't choose either of those guys to play on my coed flag football team but they both made it without playing experience and without nepotism.

Bottom line is you basically need to get involved with a team- even if it's doing non coaching or even non football related stuff at first.

I honestly appreaciete all of you who answered. I have listened and taken to account everything you guys have told me and will continue to do more and more research.

Since you're studying medicine, why not make it sports medicine and be on the sidelines as a medical trainer?

Plus, you can work in hospitals as a physical therapist and do the sports thing as a side hustle.

I am a former paramedic. Worked in Miami Dade for a number of years. Loved every second, but dont miss it now.

Good luck buddy.

Advertisement
If you’re quitting school. Please don’t. Coaching can be supplemented with your academia so you have a Plan A that really pays the bills. Either way will support you as CIs family. Just giving my 2 cents.

Since you're studying medicine, why not make it sports medicine and be on the sidelines as a medical trainer?

Plus, you can work in hospitals as a physical therapist and do the sports thing as a side hustle.

I am a former paramedic. Worked in Miami Dade for a number of years. Loved every second, but dont miss it now.

Good luck buddy.

This right here.. will open up so many doors for you

If you've figured out that wheat you're in college for isn't what you want to do while you're still in college, you're way ahead of the game. Sorry I can't be of any help, but good luck to you.

If you’re quitting school. Please don’t. Coaching can be supplemented with your academia so you have a Plan A that really pays the bills. Either way will support you as CIs family. Just giving my 2 cents.
Definitely will not quit school

Advertisement
Aren't you always defending Richt? Stay the **** away from Miami if you end up coaching

Good luck buddy.
I thought about that but if Im gonna study medicine Im just gonna try to go all the way to orthopedics. I can still be involved in sports someway with that. I like medicine. I grew up around it with at least 4 of my family members including both of my parents being doctors. I just LOVE football.

Advertisement
@Cuban-Cane if you’re at FIU, have you talked to anyone in the athletic dept?

Real talk, my co-worker’s son & I were just having this conversation like 3 yrs ago. He’s passionate about B-ball and goes to UC Irvine. I told him to talk to the athletic dept. He first started off as an equipment mgr, but he made it a point to always to talk about the game afterwards around the players and coaches; well, after about the 15th game or so, one of the assistant coaches took notice, asked him to look at some film to see what he saw. Now, my little g is in the video room, and it kinda goes from there.

If u have a dream, pursue it. Just ask around the campus you’re at. Just need ur foot in the door in one way or another, even if u start at ground zero. Totally unrelated but kinda, look at Chapo Guzman (don’t, lol)...but he wanted to be a Narco and started off as an errand boy. My point is, see if u can get a small foot in the door in any way.

P.S since you’re at FIU, go ahead and let Butch know he can come back whenever. Lol.

@Cuban-Cane if you’re at FIU, have you talked to anyone in the athletic dept?

Real talk, my co-worker’s son & I were just having this conversation like 3 yrs ago. He’s passionate about B-ball and goes to UC Irvine. I told him to talk to the athletic dept. He first started off as an equipment mgr, but he made it a point to always to talk about the game afterwards around the players and coaches; well, after about the 15th game or so, one of the assistant coaches took notice, asked him to look at some film to see what he saw. Now, my little g is in the video room, and it kinda goes from there.

If u have a dream, pursue it. Just ask around the campus you’re at. Just need ur foot in the door in one way or another, even if u start at ground zero. Totally unrelated but kinda, look at Chapo Guzman (don’t, lol)...but he wanted to be a Narco and started off as an errand boy. My point is, see if u can get a small foot in the door in any way.

P.S since you’re at FIU, go ahead and let Butch know he can come back whenever. Lol.
Lol Ive seen butch a couple times. Getting old of course. Doesnt look nearly the same as he did when I was a kid. Im definitely trying to get a foot in and Ill keep trying until my window closes.

Lol Ive seen butch a couple times. Getting old of course. Doesnt look nearly the same as he did when I was a kid. Im definitely trying to get a foot in and Ill keep trying until my window closes.

Yeah man; you got this bro. Just holla at someone in that dept. ****, even ur academic advisor may be able to point u in the right direction b/c of their connections. What yr r u?

Advertisement
1. What year are you at FIU?

2. Be honest with yourself. You said you wanted to be involved at some level, but make sure you know which level that is. College HS and up is an absolute grind. Be prepared to work 16-18 hours a day for dog**** $$$ for a long time.

3. The posters who said it's easier when you've played in college, they're correct. You will learn its ALL about the relationships to break into and get a position at any level or position.

4. Coaching jobs ARE ALL about the relationship and who you know. If you want to coach college then figure out what your ultimate goal is (level DI etc, DII, HS) and what you want to make in terms of $$$. It's all vastly different and there are very few Dan Mullen, Matt Campbell & Jason Candles out there then Mark Richts, Kirby Smarts, David Shaws or Harbaughs

5. The poster who said you will move every 1-3 years if you want to move up the profession at the highest levels is absolutely correct. Nomads don't move as much as coaches.

If you're ok with all of that and still want to coach in college then go to the football operations office and be prepared to sit in the lobby every hour of every day until you get a meeting with Butch or someone else who can make a decision. once you get there tell them you're willing to work for free, work 18 hours a day, and are willing to do what it takes to give you the chance. work youre way up through hard work and determination to get a GA job at DI level (probably will take you about 5-6 years), or after you graduate go apply for every GA job open at the DIII level (would happen much quicker more than likely). Or you can go and try to registar to attend the AFCA convention, then go and beg for a job.

I graduated college and after a year thought i wanted to be a college football coach. I was a GA for two years and found out that i would never want to do that for a living. The time with the kids was great, but there is so much more to it because you are really only with the kids for 3-4 hours out of your 16-18 hour day.

I would also add - do you want to have a family?
- As mentioned above - you wont see them as a coach
- You will also have to move every 4-5 years

Stay with the degree in medicine and volunteer on weekends at a local school

Advertisement
Back