Real Miami food:
La Leonesa fritanga in Little Havana
Mi Riconcito Mexicano in Little Havana
Nuevo San Salvador in Allapattah
B & M in Little Haiti
Rincon Antiqueño in Flagami
Versailles in Flagami
Flanigans in the Grove
All these places are great affordable food. Can never go wrong with any of these places. Versailles is a tourist trap but food is real good and not pricey. Very good Cuban coffee.

Advertisement
I was going to make a thread like this and ask for restaurants people are going to lately. Glad I did not have to.
Thanks to everyone providing the recommendations.

Also, looking for the best Media Noches in Miami. Any suggestions would be truly appreciated.

Lived in Coral Gables for almost 30 years. One of our favorite casual haunts was Scotty's Landing. First time I went there was when I had my sailboat hauled to do a bottom job and the marine facility behind Scotty's was still hauling boats for people to do their own work. The bar at that time was filled with boat mechanics, boat repair / builder / maintenance guys. It was a few years later that Scott permitted a group of guys who had a band to play one night. He wasn't really in favor of it ... until he saw the reaction of his customers. The rest is history. Too bad for him that he lost his lease but he had it for over 20 years and turned a small beer shack into a real gold mine. Was reading that a new fancy restaurant was built ... the Bayshore Club. Any comments on the spot?

Advertisement
Lived in Coral Gables for almost 30 years. One of our favorite casual haunts was Scotty's Landing. First time I went there was when I had my sailboat hauled to do a bottom job and the marine facility behind Scotty's was still hauling boats for people to do their own work. The bar at that time was filled with boat mechanics, boat repair / builder / maintenance guys. It was a few years later that Scott permitted a group of guys who had a band to play one night. He wasn't really in favor of it ... until he saw the reaction of his customers. The rest is history. Too bad for him that he lost his lease but he had it for over 20 years and turned a small beer shack into a real gold mine. Was reading that a new fancy restaurant was built ... the Bayshore Club. Any comments on the spot?

Haven't been to the Bayshore Club. Loved Scotty's Landing, so I'm not going to any fancy new spot that displaced it.

Good spot, nice view. My buddy loves their salad. Been there for drinks, it is pricey. I would tell you its a good visit.

Haven't been to the Bayshore Club. Loved Scotty's Landing, so I'm not going to any fancy new spot that displaced it.
My wife and I were having lunch at Scotty's one Sunday afternoon .... in Scotty's earlier days. I noticed a couple sitting next to us and said "Jeanne ... that is Nick Buoniconti". Looked small ... not like the leader of the no name defense. Just wearing a white tee shirt and shorts. Then he got up and walked to the sea wall and got in a small fishing boat ... maybe a 20 footer ... "perfect season" was the name ... so that confirmed to me that it was in fact Nick ... and he took the boat around to the gas dock to tank up. I NEVER bother celebrities ... but I lived in Boston when Billy Sullivan (Patriots owner) cut Nick and he then signed with the Fins. So, I walked over to the gas dock and said "excuse me Mr. Buoniconti but I am a fan and I just wanted to congratulate you on a tremendous career and also comment that I really believe Billy Sullivan is a complete *** hole". He just laughed, shook my hand and said "I share those sentiments". And I went back to finish lunch. Dave Barry, a lot of Miami notables used to hang there.

Advertisement
I’ll toss a couple more. Cafe la trova. Michelle Bernstein food, best bartender in town, Cuban band and dancing, built after classic Cuban bars.

Ghee and other places in that group. Incredible Indian with Miami ingredients.

niu kitchen - awesome tapas but kind of modern.

La Mar - one of the best views in Miami and some great Nikkei food.

Krus - haven’t been but friends love it.

I’ll toss a couple more. Cafe la trova. Michelle Bernstein food, best bartender in town, Cuban band and dancing, built after classic Cuban bars.

Ghee and other places in that group. Incredible Indian with Miami ingredients.

niu kitchen - awesome tapas but kind of modern.

La Mar - one of the best views in Miami and some great Nikkei food.

Krus - haven’t been but friends love it.

Very nice, I didn't know that Michelle Bernstein had a new spot. Did she close the original place up on Biscayne?

Very nice, I didn't know that Michelle Bernstein had a new spot. Did she close the original place up on Biscayne?
Unfortunately she did. Loved michys. This place actually made the top 50 bars in the world list but has amazing food. The bartender I believe is the same guy from Sra. Martinez, her tapas spot that was also excellent.

Advertisement
@No_Fly_Zone

Should we combine this thread with my Michelin thread, since they are nearly identical topics?

I was about to click merge threads, but I hesitated because OP is trying to get some specific recs for a celebratory dinner w/ his daughter and I wanted to keep it as easy as possible for OP to find.

But, if he's good w/ a merger, I'm happy to do it. Topically, we're discussing mostly the same great restaurants here.

Unfortunately she did. Loved michys. This place actually made the top 50 bars in the world list but has amazing food. The bartender I believe is the same guy from Sra. Martinez, her tapas spot that was also excellent.

I actually know a guy from UM (he was a year behind me in undergrad) who dated Michelle back in the day when Michy's was just getting started. Had nice things to say about her.

truthfully, scotty's landing was essentially bar food but the location and vibe was great.

bayshore club? have gone twice and it is beautiful, but the food is bland and uninspiring and to boot very expensive.

i've never had a good meal at any of the restaurants owned by the restaurant company that owns bayshore club. they all are average to below average.

Advertisement
Real Miami food:
La Leonesa fritanga in Little Havana
Mi Riconcito Mexicano in Little Havana
Nuevo San Salvador in Allapattah
B & M in Little Haiti
Rincon Antiqueño in Flagami
Versailles in Flagami
Flanigans in the Grove
All these places are great affordable food. Can never go wrong with any of these places. Versailles is a tourist trap but food is real good and not pricey. Very good Cuban coffee.

versailles is a shell of what it was 30 years ago and even 20 years ago. it is not very good anymore.

I was about to click merge threads, but I hesitated because OP is trying to get some specific recs for a celebratory dinner w/ his daughter and I wanted to keep it as easy as possible for OP to find.

But, if he's good w/ a merger, I'm happy to do it. Topically, we're discussing mostly the same great restaurants here.
@keystoncecane

So my birthday is coming up (I know you love me fellas but no gifts necessary) and I am torn between ordering from Franklins as suggested by @TheOriginalCane or trying The Katherine, as you suggested. Decisions, decisions.

Advertisement
Back