Off-Topic Need Miami restaurant/bar recommendations

keystoncecane

Recruit
UM grad here. My daughter is graduating from UM this May and I will be heading down from PA. Looking for recommendations for somewhere to take her out for a bite to eat and some drinks. She isn't a huge drinker, and I'm more of a beer guy myself. As for food, I am a bit of a foodie, but I'm not impressed by the overpriced hype that many places garner. I am far more interested in ambiance and vibe. Any suggestions for places on the mainland (Gables, Wynwood, Design District, etc. - no SOBE)? Many thanks.

Advertisement
i avoid south beach like the plague except to go to Prime 112 (steakhouse) and Prime Italian, both some of the best in Miami. worth an exception.

miami is full of new overpriced places right now (Amal and Key Club in the Grove are two examples).

look into the following (no particular order):

1. COTE Miami in Design District (korean steakhouse). excellent
2. Fiola (italian) in South Miami. i think it is overpriced, but it is good.
3. Cafe Vialetto in Coral Gables (Italian/Latin fusion), original and very good and their pricing has remained good.
4. Casa Juancho in Little Havana. Best authentic Spanish food in Miami. a little older crowd but the food is top rate.
5. Sapore di Mare in Coconut Grove. Small and very good food, cool place to go.
6. Bellini in Coconut Grove. great view and very good food.
7. Fogo de Chao in Coral Gables. Brazilian steakhouse. very good, new beautiful place
8. MesaMar in Coral Gables. Seafood. small but fresh and excellent seafood.

Congrats on your daughter's upcoming graduation!

I'll second COTE. It is a pretty great and kind of unique Korean steakhouse. It is a bit pricey but worth it, IMO.
I'll add Garcia's Seafood as another option, especially if the weather is nice. Good vibe and pretty good food. In down town on the river.
Also Il Gabbiano as a "big" Italian restaurant. Has a more "upscale Miami" vibe to it, but the food is great and it's on Biscayne Blvd. with some great views.
My wife and I also like to take people to Amaro y Paraiso. More modern "latin" food and killer oysters. Beautiful view of the Bay. Solid bar, too (good wine and beer options).

Have fun!

UM grad here. My daughter is graduating from UM this May and I will be heading down from PA. Looking for recommendations for somewhere to take her out for a bite to eat and some drinks. She isn't a huge drinker, and I'm more of a beer guy myself. As for food, I am a bit of a foodie, but I'm not impressed by the overpriced hype that many places garner. I am far more interested in ambiance and vibe. Any suggestions for places on the mainland (Gables, Wynwood, Design District, etc. - no SOBE)? Many thanks.

Mazel tov y felicidades!

Advertisement
Thanks all for the suggestions and salutations. She is graduating with a degree in Biomechanical Engineering (and a nearly perfect GPA to boot). I was a comparatively lame Architecture grad :rolleyes: ). A lot of very enticing Italian options. She is gluten free, but at least one says all pastas available in GF, and have risotto.

Additionally, I recall seeing a post at some point about a smallish restaurant with a rooftop dining area/bar somewhere not far from UM. Can anyone think of what that may be? Thanks again.

If you’re trying to enjoy a cold beer outside:
-gracias or Casablanca on Miami river (pricey)
-Noma beach / redfish at Matheson hammock (pricey)
-berries in the Grove (casual)
-Monty’s raw bar (casual)

Advertisement
Thanks all for the suggestions and salutations. She is graduating with a degree in Biomechanical Engineering (and a nearly perfect GPA to boot). I was a comparatively lame Architecture grad :rolleyes: ). A lot of very enticing Italian options. She is gluten free, but at least one says all pastas available in GF, and have risotto.

Additionally, I recall seeing a post at some point about a smallish restaurant with a rooftop dining area/bar somewhere not far from UM. Can anyone think of what that may be? Thanks again.

Obviously took after the mom?!?

i avoid south beach like the plague except to go to Prime 112 (steakhouse) and Prime Italian, both some of the best in Miami. worth an exception.

miami is full of new overpriced places right now (Amal and Key Club in the Grove are two examples).

look into the following (no particular order):

1. COTE Miami in Design District (korean steakhouse). excellent
2. Fiola (italian) in South Miami. i think it is overpriced, but it is good.
3. Cafe Vialetto in Coral Gables (Italian/Latin fusion), original and very good and their pricing has remained good.
4. Casa Juancho in Little Havana. Best authentic Spanish food in Miami. a little older crowd but the food is top rate.
5. Sapore di Mare in Coconut Grove. Small and very good food, cool place to go.
6. Bellini in Coconut Grove. great view and very good food.
7. Fogo de Chao in Coral Gables. Brazilian steakhouse. very good, new beautiful place
8. MesaMar in Coral Gables. Seafood. small but fresh and excellent seafood.

Great list, you sound like someone I want to have a meal with! :p

Some good recommendations here. I'm a big fan of Fiola's. It is pricey as **** but I haven't had a bad bite there.

Amara at Paraiso is another good suggestion. Beautiful spot. Latin American themed food.

I haven't been in a bit, but IMO, Stubborn Seed is the best restaurant in town. I share your anti-Beach vibes but the food is remarkable. He has a new spot just minutes from UM that has good reviews from friends but I haven't been (Beauty & the Butcher).

Also, I haven't been to the latest rendition of Eating House but that's a cooler, hipper vibe that might be in line more with what your daughter might prefer.

And I'll depart from my fellow foodies regarding Il Gabbiano. I've been many times. The food is excellent. But it's a little too "classic" for me. The food is definitely elevated but the concepts are fairly traditional and to me, a little boring. I tend to like stuff that's a little different from your very traditional, classic fare.

Regardless, congrats! Must be a proud papa.

PS There are rooftop bars near Eating House so you can dine there and bar hop if you like.

Advertisement
Some good recommendations here. I'm a big fan of Fiola's. It is pricey as **** but I haven't had a bad bite there.

Amara at Paraiso is another good suggestion. Beautiful spot. Latin American themed food.

I haven't been in a bit, but IMO, Stubborn Seed is the best restaurant in town. I share your anti-Beach vibes but the food is remarkable. He has a new spot just minutes from UM that has good reviews from friends but I haven't been (Beauty & the Butcher).

Also, I haven't been to the latest rendition of Eating House but that's a cooler, hipper vibe that might be in line more with what your daughter might prefer.

And I'll depart from my fellow foodies regarding Il Gabbiano. I've been many times. The food is excellent. But it's a little too "classic" for me. The food is definitely elevated but the concepts are fairly traditional and to me, a little boring. I tend to like stuff that's a little different from your very traditional, classic fare.

PS There are rooftop bars near Eating House so you can dine there and bar hop if you like.

I forgot Eating House finally reopened. Will need to take the wife.
Stubborn Seed is a special eating experience. I tend to compartmentalize restaurants with a legit tasting menu into their own special category of experience, lol.

Advertisement

some good recommendations here. i haven't been to stubborn seed or Amara, but will try

Advertisement
Back