Off-Topic Need Miami restaurant/bar recommendations

Advertisement
So my birthday is coming up (I know you love me fellas but no gifts necessary) and I am torn between ordering from Franklins as suggested by @TheOriginalCane or trying The Katherine, as you suggested. Decisions, decisions.
I’ve never been to the Katherine so can’t speak to it. However I can speak to his chops as a chef. Balloo would have been one of the places to go in Miami if it didn’t open during Covid. But Franklin is Franklin. Admittedly I’ve never done the gold belly thing, so have no idea how the food travels.

Advertisement
So my birthday is coming up (I know you love me fellas but no gifts necessary) and I am torn between ordering from Franklins as suggested by @TheOriginalCane or trying The Katherine, as you suggested. Decisions, decisions.
If surfside isn’t too far, Thomas Keller has a place in the Four Seasons there that’s supposed to be good too.

truthfully, scotty's landing was essentially bar food but the location and vibe was great.

bayshore club? have gone twice and it is beautiful, but the food is bland and uninspiring and to boot very expensive.

i've never had a good meal at any of the restaurants owned by the restaurant company that owns bayshore club. they all are average to below average.
Definitely was bar food. When Scotty opened he was mostly selling to workers / shipwrights that worked AT the marina. Back in those days there were craftsmen doing all sorts of large yacht repairs and construction. It was working waterfront. Then there was the boat storage that Scott eventually took over the lease on. Never forget one colorful yacht "mechanic" (master wood worker, fiberglass tech., engine / electrical systems). Last name was Campbell and he was generally shirtless, a smattering of nautical tattoos, and a bird (Parrot or Maccaw??) on his shoulder. The bar was full of guys like him and people who had hauled their boats to do annual maintenance or repairs. That was his initial core business and the food was burgers, fish sandwiches, fries and beer. Eventually the marine service bays were converted to more upscale businesses, and his customer base morphed to locals looking for a "get away" place to enjoy the water and have a cold beer and simple bar food in a very casual environment.

I was about to click merge threads, but I hesitated because OP is trying to get some specific recs for a celebratory dinner w/ his daughter and I wanted to keep it as easy as possible for OP to find.

But, if he's good w/ a merger, I'm happy to do it. Topically, we're discussing mostly the same great restaurants here.
Thanks for even asking...honestly if the other thread is about Michelin-rated restaurants, I'd prefer to keep this separate as I am looking for more approachable options.

Advertisement
I’ve never been to the Katherine so can’t speak to it. However I can speak to his chops as a chef. Balloo would have been one of the places to go in Miami if it didn’t open during Covid. But Franklin is Franklin. Admittedly I’ve never done the gold belly thing, so have no idea how the food travels.

Yeah, I might have to try the Goldbelly thing once too, just for a comparative.

When my brother and I went before the LSU game, he drove up and had a big cooler. He also has a food-sealer that he uses when he grills brisket and pork, and so we ordered about 10 or 12 pounds of different meat, he sealed it, put it on ice, and then we drove up to Dallas.

Then when it was time to break out some Franklin for nachos and tacos and whatnot, we sous-vided the meat and it was fantastic.

Advertisement
Back