ND Game

I didn't say Newton won the game, I said without him we don't win. Big difference. It doesn't excuse Newton, but why does it excuse Lykes? Can't they both have good games?

You said “we don’t win that game without Newton, ffs”.

I think really two players won us the game. Besides them, nobody “won” us the game.

Advertisement
[B]Ja'Quan Newton[/B]‏ @[B]J_Newton0[/B]
FollowingFollowing @J_Newton0
More
1f92b.png
1f92b.png
1f92b.png
1f92b.png
1f92b.png
Big road win! Keep hating
1f600.png

6:07 PM - 19 Feb 2018

Newton was terrific tonight. Him, Lonnie and Izundu were incredible. Necessary win.

Find a way to hold serve at home.

Coaching is a big reason we won tonight's game. L made some smart moves.

I think its obvious from the lineups we are trying to get more defensive. That is why you didn't see DJ, Huell, or Lykes much down the stretch.

Also, a crazy stat, Izundu played like an animal the last 8+ minutes with 4 fouls and didn't foul out.

And when it mattered most, he missed a FT (shot 50%) and was selfish. A senior guard who can’t hit FTs.

I’d rather live and die with Lykes.

You're wrong on this one. Newton was solid on offense and very solid on D. I'll accept his ****** FT shooting and occasional dumb forced shots now that he has miraculously stopped turning the ball over. More importantly, the ND PG would have had 30 if Lykes was checking him, and we would have lost. Newton stepped up bigly.

Advertisement
Bigger minutes and bigger production for Izundu tonight. Good to see. Helps to have an actual defensive presence down low too, instead of Huell and Amp alone. (That said, that Lithuanian kid for ND did go for way more than his average tonight.)

If Izundu continues to get minutes at the 5, Huell could lose some of his minutes at the 4 to Waardenburg too.

The last shot was maddening, but Newton played pretty well including making a play that might have saved the game (splitting the double team and dishing to Amp for a layup). Lykes was efficient in his minutes too.

Amp is still in an offensive funk. And Vasiljevic only played a couple minutes total, though he did that one three when he was in there. We'll need those guys to make some plays if we're going anywhere in March.

We shot threes better than free throws... It'll never stop being frustrating watching the bricks from the line.

Unfortunately this team is consistently inconsistent. With Brown, capable of beating many teams, team needs to be able to put their foot on other team when they get ahead, as well as learning to close games. Otherwise they will continue as they are.

You're wrong on this one. Newton was solid on offense and very solid on D. I'll accept his ****** FT shooting and occasional dumb forced shots now that he has miraculously stopped turning the ball over. More importantly, the ND PG would have had 30 if Lykes was checking him, and we would have lost. Newton stepped up bigly.

A few things:

1. He didn't have any TOs tonight. He did have 6 TOs in the prior 3 games. I wouldn't exactly say he "miraculously stopped turning the ball
over".

2. Occasional dumb shots? They're not occasional and he did it when it mattered most. Not for nothing, he again took a 3, which he doesn't have the range.

3. As for his great D on Farrell. This isn't true. Farrell normally scores 17, he scored 16 (on 5-9 shooting). 14 of Farrell's points came when Newton was in the game and this included the great D when there was 1:10 left in the game. (I am not counting Farrell's FTs on Newton).

4. I am willing to say that Newton played pretty solid tonight for Newton. But like I said, when it mattered most, he Newtoned. Not for nothing, Lykes played ~ half the minutes and scored 9 points (4-5 FG). I can be honest, Newton played okay tonight. I just hate seeing him at the end of the game making low IQ plays. Remember, he is a senior and he consistently does these things. I am hard on him, I admit it. I just expect more from a senior who is CAPABLE of playing better.

Last edited:
Coaching is a big reason we won tonight's game. L made some smart moves.

I think its obvious from the lineups we are trying to get more defensive. That is why you didn't see DJ, Huell, or Lykes much down the stretch.

Also, a crazy stat, Izundu played like an animal the last 8+ minutes with 4 fouls and didn't foul out.

#15 has been steadily playing better I wish coach would have realized it sooner but we have time to salvage this season

Huge win! Saved our season. We need to win the next two at home in order to not have to sweat come selection sunday. Izundu with a **** of a game. We all knew he had potential and he put everything together last night. Played much smarter and with a lot more composure. Newton played a good game. That split and dish to Amp was huge. He needs to stop trying to be the guy late and get the ball to Lonnie though. Twice he could have passed to him and instead went and took bad shots.

We need to get the ball to Lonnie late. He did not take a shot after his three and jumper to put us up 5 with 5 minutes to go. We should live and die on him late. I'm concerned this team will be feeling to good about themselves and not play well against BC. I still think we find a way to win but we really need to start taking care of business. Any status updates on Brown? Still was in a boot yesterday which isn't good.

-

Advertisement
In the first 15 minutes of the first half (let's say when we were tied at 20), we were making threes, they were making dunks and what amounted to layups. Thought our interior defense up to that point was really bad. Their first five baskets of the 2nd half also were easy inside shots. Lonnie and Ezundu then started to assert themselves.

Not the game to be killing Newton. He took a couple of bad shots but he played well. We won the game because we started making stops for 10 minutes in the 2nd half we made none.

He had no turnovers and 4 assists and a terrific assist at the end.

Lonnie didn't touch the ball after the 5 minute mark.

Anyone want to guess why that would be?

It's dumb basketball. Low IQ.

I had to laugh when Billas couldn't believe the bad shots Newton was jacking. Has he not watched any of our film this year?

I can do without Miller. But yes, I agree.

I think we need to place Miller in the game after the first 6-7 minutes. He is a big body, keeps Inzundu from gaining early fouls and develops a role for the big man. Four to Five minutes in the first half has been very successful.

Advertisement
I think we need to place Miller in the game after the first 6-7 minutes. He is a big body, keeps Inzundu from gaining early fouls and develops a role for the big man. Four to Five minutes in the first half has been very successful.

He can hardly move. Somehow when he jumps, he doesn’t get closer to the basket.

A few things:

1. He didn't have any TOs tonight. He did have 6 TOs in the prior 3 games. I wouldn't exactly say he "miraculously stopped turning the ball
over".

2. Occasional dumb shots? They're not occasional and he did it when it mattered most. Not for nothing, he again took a 3, which he doesn't have the range.

3. As for his great D on Farrell. This isn't true. Farrell normally scores 17, he scored 16 (on 5-9 shooting). 14 of Farrell's points came when Newton was in the game and this included the great D when there was 1:10 left in the game. (I am not counting Farrell's FTs on Newton).

4. I am willing to say that Newton played pretty solid tonight for Newton. But like I said, when it mattered most, he Newtoned. Not for nothing, Lykes played ~ half the minutes and scored 9 points (4-5 FG). I can be honest, Newton played okay tonight. I just hate seeing him at the end of the game making low IQ plays. Remember, he is a senior and he consistently does these things. I am hard on him, I admit it. I just expect more from a senior who is CAPABLE of playing better.

Actually, when it mattered most, he had the move to split the double team, and the no look assist to Buka that might have saved the season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back