NCAA Trying to Kill Transfer Portal (false alarm)

SCarolina Ibis

Medical Redshirt

*UPDATE
The NCAA has clarified their new rules regarding which year transfer's scholarships will count towards. Disaster averted.

They changed the way transfer's scholarships are counted.

To summarize...

Under NCAA rules, a football team that has reached its annual limit of 85 scholarships can replace some of those players between semesters under an assortment of circumstances.

An NCAA Division I Question and Answer Document dated Tuesday propositions whether "an incoming undergraduate four-year transfer [can] replace a counter [departed athlete] using an existing exception?"

The answer from the NCAA: "No."

What the distributed documents state is that no four-year transfer could come in as a replacement and count against that sport's annual scholarship maximum.

Typically, schools replacing departed athletes between semesters are allowed to count that scholarship toward the next academic year if they are surpassing their maximum allotment of scholarships.

As of now, per the NCAA, a midyear transfer shall count toward the scholarship limit "for that year."

What was termed "guidance" in two NCAA documents sent out earlier this week is contrary to what most coaches, compliance officers and administrators understood Proposal 2022-20 to be.

One compliance veteran described the situation as such: The portal is full of athletes going seeking an open door.

"What that means is they're effectively shutting down the portal," a distressed Power Five head coach told CBS Sports. "It's a cluster."

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement

boom smile GIF

If I'm reading it right, it sounds like they want to slow down mid season transfers, which is kind of understandable.

Almost like a trade deadline in pro sports.

.... yes, and a far cry from "killing the transfer portal"—just a little law and order when kids want to bolt from competition mid-season, or get a hangnail or whatever.

Advertisement
If I'm reading it right, it sounds like they want to slow down mid season transfers, which is kind of understandable.

Almost like a trade deadline in pro sports.
It's just the NCAA controlling the product. They have NO business doing so. Who are the protecting and who is benefiting from this? They are. NOT the student athletes.

At the end the day, they brag about being all about the student athlete. They even have their commercials they run every Saturday.

It's a phucking lie!!! They are about taking back power and having control over the student athlete.

Why do football players have to declare for the NFL, while baseball players are just drafted and then can make a decision? It's about control and collusion.

It's just the NCAA controlling the product. They have NO business doing so. Who are the protecting and who is benefiting from this? They are. NOT the student athletes.

At the end the day, they brag about being all about the student athlete. They even have their commercials they run every Saturday.

It's a phucking lie!!! They are about taking back power and having control over the student athlete.

Why do football players have to declare for the NFL, while baseball players are just drafted and then can make a decision? It's about control and collusion.

Actually, I totally disagree w/ u on this.

1. Transfers have always been around, but part of the college experience, & I’m not just talking sports since ppl forget these r college students, is learning how to become a responsible person. The portal was a gateway to allow a student opportunity to finish their career at another school when a situation wasn’t panning out for them. What has happened are these kids r running at the 1st sign of adversity. While there have been success stories from the portal, there are far greater tragic stories that r rarely reported upon.

Imo, this is to both protect the integrity of the sport, while curving these impulsive decisions that have led to guys forfeiting a FREE scholarship to never be heard from again.

2. Football & baseball r two different animals. The NFL has its own bylaws & governing body just like baseball, basketball, & hockey has theirs. This has chit to do w/ the NCAA, & everything to do w/ how the NFL wants to protect its brand from being watered down like the NBA did in the 2000’s.

The NFL also don’t want to see an 18 yr old kid who has an undeveloped body, getting smoked by a grown 27 yr old man in the height of their physical prime. If fans already have an issue w/ grown men getting concussed by other grown men, what would the outcry be when a 17-18yr old, 165lbs WR going across the middle & getting blasted by Minkah Fitzpatrick?

It’s time to start thinking logically on things vs. emotionally; that’s y this world is as fcked up as it is now, b/c everything that remotely appears to be “restrictive” is frowned upon. There’s stop signs, red lights, & yield signs for a reason.

Last edited:
People do realize a) the NCAA is a voluntary association (your school doesn't have to join and can leave whenever it wants) and b) really because of that combination, the NCAA's "power" cones from the member institutions, right?

Don't kid yourselves. If, in particular, power players in power conferences didn't want something to happen, the NCAA wouldn't make it happen.

As an example, the NCAA is now thinking about portal "windows"? Shocker:

Advertisement
Have to assume early grads, nfl draft kids that don’t register for spring… drop 85 count allowing for portal transfers.

This just ends mass transfers in the spring and moves them to summer limiting their impact.

1. Transfers have always been around, but part of the college experience, & I’m not just talking sports since ppl forget these r college students, is learning how to become a responsible person. The portal was a gateway to allow a student opportunity to finish their career at another school when a situation wasn’t panning out for them. What has happened are these kids r running at the 1st sign of adversity. While there have been success stories from the portal, there are far greater tragic stories that r rarely reported upon.

Imo, this is to both protect the integrity of the sport, while curving these impulsive decisions that have led to guys forfeiting a FREE scholarship to never be heard from again.

2. Football & baseball r two different animals. The NFL has its own bylaws & governing body just like baseball, basketball, & hockey has theirs. This has chit to do w/ the NCAA, & everything to do w/ how the NFL wants to protect its brand from being watered down like the NBA did in the 2000’s.

The NFL also don’t want to see an 18 yr old kid who has an undeveloped body, getting smoked by a grown 27 yr old man in the height of their physical prime. If fans already have an issue w/ grown men getting concussed by other grown men, what would the outcry be when a 17-18yr old, 165lbs WR going across the middle & getting blasted by Minkah Fitzpatrick?

It’s time to start thinking logically on things vs. emotionally; that’s y this world is as fcked up as it is now, b/c everything that remotely appears to be “restrictive” is frowned upon. There’s stop signs, red lights, & yield signs for a reason.
I respect your opinion, but those reasons don't justify restricting collegiate athletetes within the college framework.

The NFL has their rule of being 3 years removed from HS for draft eligibility. I didn't argue against that point or anything that is under the NFL's control.

The NFL doesn't determine a football player's amateur status. The NCAA colludes with the NFL to force juniors to declare for the draft if they want to go before their eligibility runs out. College football has a bunch of draft eligible sophomores due to Covid-19. Why should they have to lose 2 years of eligibility by declaring for the NFL draft?

The NCAA could simply have a hands off approach. If the athlete doesn't sign a contract, then he should maintain his amateur status. There's no benefit for the athlete in forcing them into a decision to declare for the draft. It hands leverage and power to the NFL and takes it out of the hands of the college player.

UM baseball pitcher Andrew "The Angel of Death" Walters was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 2022 draft. He didn't like his draft position or the contract they offered. He's returning to UM for another season.

Why should football be any different?

I just differ in opinion regarding transfers. Kids leaving because they're not happy or whatever reason is their choice regardless of whether it's a good decision or not. They are adults. They're old enough to choose to join the military and lose their life at war. They **** sure should be able to decide if they want to transfer to another school.

The NCAA just doesn't like the chaos and they don't want NIL playing a role in the transfer. In my opinion, that is the biggest reason for this. They don't want the Addison situation to become the norm.

Advertisement
I respect your opinion, but those reasons don't justify restricting collegiate athletetes within the college framework.

The NFL has their rule of being 3 years removed from HS for draft eligibility. I didn't argue against that point or anything that is under the NFL's control.

The NFL doesn't determine a football player's amateur status. The NCAA colludes with the NFL to force juniors to declare for the draft if they want to go before their eligibility runs out. College football has a bunch of draft eligible sophomores due to Covid-19. Why should they have to lose 2 years of eligibility by declaring for the NFL draft?

The NCAA could simply have a hands off approach. If the athlete doesn't sign a contract, then he should maintain his amateur status. There's no benefit for the athlete in forcing them into a decision to declare for the draft. It hands leverage and power to the NFL and takes it out of the hands of the college player.

UM baseball pitcher Andrew "The Angel of Death" Walters was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 2022 draft. He didn't like his draft position or the contract they offered. He's returning to UM for another season.

Why should football be any different?

B/c it’s their right to do so. If u don’t understand that, I can’t help u. Throwing & hitting the ball is way different than getting hit. Furthermore, baseball has a farm system; very rare do u see a HS kid go straight from the draft to the MLB. The NFL does not have a farm system.

Listen, kids don’t have to play college football. The fact is they are getting an opportunity b/c of a sport that wouldn’t otherwise to be given to them. They can go chose to play in a start up league if they want. But u’re shooting urself in ur foot by ur own argument;

One one hand u’re stating that this all about control, but in reality this all about balance. U can’t make this grandiose argument when it comes to CFB, yet fail to acknowledge the NCAA’s other money maker, CBB. Kids are allowed to be one & done there, correct? So y isn’t the NCAA restricting them to stay there 3 yrs?

Again, a player staying in school for 3 yrs b4 entering the NFL draft have chit to do w/ the NCAA, & everything to do w the NFL own bylaws; that’s not an opinion, that’s a fact.

Once upon a time a Collegiate Ball player couldn’t leave for the NBA draft until 3 yrs removed from HS; why? B/c that was a NBA rule until they amended it. When they allowed HS players to come in, they saw that not only was their brand hurting, but for every Kobe & LBJ, there was a Kwame & Eddy Curry. So, they changed THEIR rules to be at least 1 yr removed.

Trying to validate an argument using MLB guidelines is not appropriate to this discussion b/c that’s literally an apples & tangerine comparison.

I just differ in opinion regarding transfers. Kids leaving because they're not happy or whatever reason is their choice regardless of whether it's a good decision or not. They are adults. They're old enough to choose to join the military and lose their life at war. They **** sure should be able to decide if they want to transfer to another school.

The NCAA just doesn't like the chaos and they don't want NIL playing a role in the transfer. In my opinion, that is the biggest reason for this. They don't want the Addison situation to become the norm.

The old “war” analogy. I’m pretty sure i debunked this analogy in another thread. U do realize that some countries allow ppl at the age of 15 to participate in war, right? So that means they are old enough to make adult decisions, amiright?

Here’s what u & others don’t get; do u get to choose the guidelines that r set out by ur employer? No? So y r u guys constantly thumbing ur nose at the bylaws as set out by the governing body of the NCAA? It’s very simple; if u (as a student athlete) don’t like the bylaws, quit. I’m sure they’ll be able to walk on to a practice field during open try outs & fight for a NFL, NBA, or MLB spot.

The old “war” analogy. I’m pretty sure i debunked this analogy in another thread. U do realize that some cou completely miss the pointntries allow ppl at the age of 15 to participate in war, right? So that means they are old enough to make adult decisions, amiright?

Here’s what u & others don’t get; do u get to choose the guidelines that r set out by ur employer? No? So y r u guys constantly thumbing ur nose at the bylaws as set out by the governing body of the NCAA? It’s very simple; if u (as a student athlete) don’t like the bylaws, quit. I’m sure they’ll be able to walk on to a practice field during open try outs & fight for a NFL, NBA, or MLB spot.
You completely missed my original point. The NCAA touts itself as all about the student athlete. I pointed it out it is NOT.

Dismissing 18 years in the military? These are adults.

You completely missed my original point. The NCAA touts itself as all about the student athlete. I pointed it out it is NOT.

Dismissing 18 years in the military? These are adults.

Are 15 & 16 yr olds adults? B/c they are allowed to be in the military in services in other countries.

And let me ask, what do u suggest? B/c to me, it appears u want a free for all market that literally doesn’t exist in any sport; so what’s ur suggestion?

Advertisement
Back