NCAA Tournament Thread

Advertisement
ESPN has an interactive bracket with every team and their % of reaching each round using 538 (Nate Silver). Miami has a 86% chance to make the 2nd Round, 38% to make the Sweet 16, 14% chance to make the Elite 8, 5% to make the Final 4, and 1% to win the national title.

I'd put $100 on the Canes at 100-1.

Jay Bilas and Jay Williams each picked Miami to get to the Great Eight vs Kansas.
Yeap

Buffalo has beaten nobody. They played three legit nonconference games this season: Duke, St. Joe's, and VCU. Blown out in all three. Miami better beat them. How does Miami match up with Arizona in round 2?

It's March Madness. You can't look past anybody.

The team shouldn't; but I can. I don't know a lot about Arizona. Anyone have thoughts on how Miami would match up with them if they meet in round 2?

AZ will be tested by the Vandy/Wichita St winner.

I have the winner of that game beating Arizona

Advertisement
ESPN has an interactive bracket with every team and their % of reaching each round using 538 (Nate Silver). Miami has a 86% chance to make the 2nd Round, 38% to make the Sweet 16, 14% chance to make the Elite 8, 5% to make the Final 4, and 1% to win the national title.

I'd put $100 on the Canes at 100-1.
Yes, but if they win, take back the $100 and bet the won money on the baseball team to win the CWS....and might as well roll that over to win th NCAA football title.

[Posted on the WEZ]

I don't see how Zona all of the sudden became world beaters.

1. There is no guarantee they win their opening round game,

2. They finished 3rd in the Pac-12 at 12-6, those 6 losses came to Oregon, Utah, Cal, Colorado, UCLA and USC. They lost to Oregon a second time in the PAC-12 Tourney. So to review, they never beat the top two teams (Utah and Oregon) this year.

3. They went 5-7 against teams in the tourney:

Wins:

@ Gonzaga (11 Seed)
CAL (4 Seed)
OSU (7 Seed)
USC (8 Seed)
Colorado (8 Seed) [Neutral Site]

Losses:

@ CAL (4 Seed)
@ USC (8 Seed)
@ Colorado (8 Seed)
Providence (9 Seed)
@ Utah (3 Seed)
Oregon x 2 (1 Seed) [1 Neutral Site Game/1 Home Game]

4. Zona is 8-7 away from home, 1-4 against top 25 RPI and 5-7 against top 50 RPI. They played 8 games against teams with RPI of 150 or above.

5. RPI is 15 and SOS is 101

I don't see how this is the scary team porsters are making them out to be. It would not shock me if they lost their opening game.

[Posted on the WEZ]

As for the possibility of playing Nova in the sweet 16:

1. Does anyone know Jay Wright's recent tenure in the NCAAT? He hasn't made it to the sweet 16 in his last 5 trips. They have consistently lost to "inferior" teams over that time.

2. They have zero quality wins against OOC teams. They lost to UVA and OU this year. Their best wins OOC are to Akron (not in tourney) and St. Joes (8 Seed).

3. Nova has played 9 games against teams with an RPI of 150 or above.

Sure Xavier is a weaker 2 seed but Nova isn't a world beater either. That game is so far away, so much can change between now and that potential game. It would not shock me if we didn't play Nova and instead played Iowa.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It may be close for a while because it's a tournament game, but we'll eventually overwhelm them on both ends of the court.

[Posted on the WEZ]

2. They finished 3rd in the Pac-12 at 12-6, those 6 losses came to Oregon, Utah, Cal, Colorado, UCLA and USC. They lost to Oregon a second time in the PAC-12 Tourney. So to review, they never beat the top two teams (Utah and Oregon) this year.

Wins:

@ Gonzaga (11 Seed)
CAL (4 Seed)
OSU (7 Seed)
USC (8 Seed)

Losses:

@ CAL (4 Seed)
@ USC (8 Seed)
@ Colorado (8 Seed)
Providence (9 Seed)
@ Utah (3 Seed)

4. Zona is 8-7 away from home, 1-4 against top 25 RPI and 5-7 against top 50 RPI. They played 8 games against teams with RPI of 150 or above.

I don't see how this is the scary team porsters are making them out to be. It would not shock me if they lost their opening game.

Con, No one said AZ is "all world" but you cant overlook them, or any team for that matter and if you do you'll be sent home packing most times.
You know its more about match ups and style of play.

[Posted on the WEZ]

Wins:

@ Gonzaga (11 Seed)
CAL (4 Seed)
OSU (7 Seed)
USC (8 Seed)

Losses:

@ CAL (4 Seed)
@ USC (8 Seed)
@ Colorado (8 Seed)
Providence (9 Seed)
@ Utah (3 Seed)

Con, No one said AZ is "all world" but you cant overlook them, or any team for that matter and if you do you'll be sent home packing most times.
You know its more about match ups and style of play.

The biggest threat on Arizona is Sean Miller. He led his team the Elite 8 4x's (Arizona 2011, 2014, 2015) (Xavier 2008)

Advertisement
Who are you guys rooting for tonight in the Wich St./ Vandy game?

I think they're both better than the 11 seed they got, both top 25 in BPI and KenPom ratings, that being said I would probably rather play Vandy than Wichita St..

I didn't think Vandy was going to play anywhere but the NIT, so I'll probably root for them. I'm also still waiting to hear if I was accepted to Vandy undergrad. I applied in 1996. I'd at least like my $50 application fee back (plus interest).

Anyone google Buffalo's center/big man?

They don't have one listed on their roster. Only two, 6-10 Fs. Their leading rebounder is a 6-6 F.

I think the tallest starter is 6'5/6'6.

Yeah, the 6-10 guys don't do anything. Jekiri needs to go Utah on them. 20/12. We need to have Angel, Newton, Davon, and Mac drive all night. I don't want to see more than 8 threes.

Might not want to read too much into that.

We play 9 players. Ikenna Smart and Nick Perkins did a number against all the MAC big men (7 feet and taller).

Although we didn't win against any of our top 30 games, we competed with Duke on the road. Our team is playing lights out right now, we shot 45% from three in the last three games. We took down 30RPI easy, including being up 12-15 most of the game.

Our Sophomore PG Bearden should be playing big time basketball, you will soon see why.

Now, you should still win by 10, but don't count it as a free game. We O rebound as well as anyone in the country, and will get a lot of second chance opportunities. We also are top 60 in most offensive categories.

Last edited:
Anyone google Buffalo's center/big man?

They don't have one listed on their roster. Only two, 6-10 Fs. Their leading rebounder is a 6-6 F.

I think the tallest starter is 6'5/6'6.

Yeah, the 6-10 guys don't do anything. Jekiri needs to go Utah on them. 20/12. We need to have Angel, Newton, Davon, and Mac drive all night. I don't want to see more than 8 threes.

Might not want to read too much into that.

We play 9 players. Ikenna Smart and Nick Perkins did a number against all the MAC big men (7 feet and taller).

Although we didn't win against any of our top 30 games, we competed with Duke on the road. Our team is playing lights out right now, we shot 45% from three in the last three games. We took down 30RPI easy, including being up 12-15 most of the game.

Our Sophomore PG Bearden should be playing big time basketball, you will soon see why.

Now, you should still win by 10, but don't count it as a free game. We O rebound as well as anyone in the country, and will get a lot og second chance opportunities. We also are top 60 in most offensive categories.

All I said is our 7 foot C should play like he did against Utah, when he dominated them, and that our guards shouldn't shouldn't settle for jumpers when you don't have big rim protectors. Am I wrong?

Advertisement
Back