NCAA to consider early signing period for HS fb recruits

NY Shyne

Canes fan since Slick Rick’s first chain…
High school football recruits graduating in 2018 might not have to wait until February to make their college choices official.
The NCAA announced on Wednesday that the Division I Football Oversight Committeehas recommended an early signing period for football players.
If the proposal is passed by the commissioners' association, there would be two 72-hour early signing periods through the year: One in mid-June, and another in mid-December.

The February signing period -- the only one in which players can currently sign national letters of intent -- would remain the same.
If passed the proposal would go into effect for the 2017-18 signing period.

Advertisement
Big schools will say no. Smaller schools will say yes. Should be interesting to see how it shakes out

Need this to happen
1. Kids can stop playing their dumbass games or get left behind
2. Scummy scheister coaches can't go try to gray shirt a kid or crush their hopes because of an injury or another reason

Advertisement
Not for it at all. And if they pass the rule, I think that no kid should actually sign an NLI early, even if they are committed here.

Advertisement
It would be great tired of these wishy washy prima Donna,s who can't make up their minds like that punk cj

As a fan I like it. If I was a recruit I wouldn't. They should at least have rules that if there is a coaching change (even position coach), they should be able to get out of it.

As a fan I like it. If I was a recruit I wouldn't. They should at least have rules that if there is a coaching change (even position coach), they should be able to get out of it.

I could see the need to put in a more formal "Official Recruiter / Secondary Recruiter" system...obviously most kids are recruited by a lot of guys on one staff, but this way if 1 of the 2 officially listed recruiters left the kid would have an out.

I don't think this would change much for a lot of South Florida kids. The elite ones will hold out to the end anyway, and they will play the same games they currently play, because staffs and fans will continue to allow it. It would benefit us with a kid like Byrd last year. If in December he's not ready to sign after being committed for 2 years, you take that as an omen and find different options.

Article also talks about 10th assistant head coach. If we did that now who would it be? Kareem? Obviously no if we waited but the more coaches the merrier.

Advertisement
Article also talks about 10th assistant head coach. If we did that now who would it be? Kareem? Obviously no if we waited but the more coaches the merrier.

If we get another coach, my guess is that he would be a linebackers coach. Pefect opportunity to bring michael barrow back.

Not a fan of this. You'reeessentially saying somekids will commit earlier sand then with coaching changes, depth charts, players staying instead of entering the draft and kids just being kids and wanting to change their minds you're setting up more transfers and giving more power to coaches who can leave whenever they want. Coaches should be able to handle recruiting to the end and rbh the ones who want this are the garbage ones who can't handle real recruiting

I dont see why this hasnt already happened. Basketball has one and things work out fine for the most part. Why should football be treated differently?

Advertisement

No make they a55 sign because they become little diva *** bytches. Im all for this sfla needs this

I can't think of a reason not to have it.

1. If you're concerned about a coach getting fired before enrolling, have an opt out.

2. If the school is about to go down because of unknown sanctions, have an opt out.

If something material happens (i.e. the above), then the kid gets to opt out.

-----

For the first time, the word "commitment" means something. If you're "committed" you sign. If you're not "committed", you don't sign. Basically, a kid is only "committed" if they sign.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back