NCAA Not Looking Too Hot

do a kid have to get drafted first and go str8 to the G League or do they pick & choose which G League team they go to, then enter the draft?

Good question; I'm not sure what would be the best approach. Do you expand the draft to 4 rounds so teams can add talent to their NBA and G League rosters where those contracts even in the last round would be guaranteed while those who get added (undrafted free agents, camp invites, etc.) get less lucrative contracts that aren't guaranteed; or, do you allow a pre-MLB draft-free for-all where teams can snatch up who they want when they want them (probably not going to happen)?

In terms of high school kids, the NBA could model the MLB. Kid gets drafted out of high school (I'd argue why not let the kid get drafted at 16 or 17 while still in high school...really go all out professional) and the franchise can look the kid in for a long term contract and develop him as the franchise sees fit (much better than waiting a year or two while someone else develops the kid in college). The kids who go to college can enter the draft at any time (give it the ol' college try).

The NBA could also use the G League to market test new rule ideas like the mid-season tournament. Televise the G League through NBAtv and NBA fans can watch their team's future stars develop or watch aging stars fade away.

There's an opportunity here for the NBA to provide value and entertainment year-round if they wanted to do so.

Advertisement
Another reason the NCAA is not effective is they have admitted they often investigate based on newspaper accusations and that they do not have a true investigative arm. They wait until they see smoke as the fire burns out and then have investigations. And I must say, rather lame investigations ala the Laranaga fiasco.

Good question; I'm not sure what would be the best approach. Do you expand the draft to 4 rounds so teams can add talent to their NBA and G League rosters where those contracts even in the last round would be guaranteed while those who get added (undrafted free agents, camp invites, etc.) get less lucrative contracts that aren't guaranteed; or, do you allow a pre-MLB draft-free for-all where teams can snatch up who they want when they want them (probably not going to happen)?

In terms of high school kids, the NBA could model the MLB. Kid gets drafted out of high school (I'd argue why not let the kid get drafted at 16 or 17 while still in high school...really go all out professional) and the franchise can look the kid in for a long term contract and develop him as the franchise sees fit (much better than waiting a year or two while someone else develops the kid in college). The kids who go to college can enter the draft at any time (give it the ol' college try).

The NBA could also use the G League to market test new rule ideas like the mid-season tournament. Televise the G League through NBAtv and NBA fans can watch their team's future stars develop or watch aging stars fade away.

There's an opportunity here for the NBA to provide value and entertainment year-round if they wanted to do so.

Agree w/ all of this.

U know, Skip made a good point today on “Undisputed.” He totally agrees that kids should have the ability to jump straight to pros if they choose to.

However, he did make a point regarding development and this may be where the NBA need to be proactive; he said part of development is playing in front of big crowds on national TV, and playing overseas or The G League doesn’t provide those pressure points like NCAA does.

If the G League can get contracts w ESPN or TNT v. strictly NBA TV, this will help not only the growth of its popularity, but help these young men’s ability to deal w pressure packed s

Between changes like this by the NBA, and states passing laws to allow players to profit off their likeness this fraud that is the NCAA can’t last much longer.

I've been saying this is a great idea for years. Let these young men go pro ASAP, and have it written into their contracts that they get a paid for education when their playing days are over. Let's face it, these universities don't care about their education, but rather just keeping them eligible to make money off of their game playing abilities. What do they learn that way?

Agree w/ all of this.

U know, Skip made a good point today on “Undisputed.” He totally agrees that kids should have the ability to jump straight to pros if they choose to.

However, he did make a point regarding development and this may be where the NBA need to be proactive; he said part of development is playing in front of big crowds on national TV, and playing overseas or The G League doesn’t provide those pressure points like NCAA does.

If the G League can get contracts w ESPN or TNT v. strictly NBA TV, this will help not only the growth of its popularity, but help these young men’s ability to deal w pressure packed s

I kind of agree, but I think that can be on the job training at the NBA level. The part of development (at least professionally) that the G League would help these young guys would be what it means to be a professional. Proper nutrition, managing a hectic travel schedule, etc. The demand of a professional is much more than what the college kids deal with until the NCAA tourney which for a 1 and done kid could literally only be a one day experience.

One last point about the big stage and development; I don't think a regular season NBA game on average is necessarily a shocking endeavor. Those crowds typically aren't crazy (some teams do have legit home court advantages regardless of the context like OKC). The big stage and development becomes an issue I'd argue in the playoffs, but only 16 teams make the playoffs. This is the reason some franchises with young talent (the Heat for instance) would rather get swept in round 1 with young guys (to give their players experience) than miss the playoffs for a lottery pick.

Advertisement
I kind of agree, but I think that can be on the job training at the NBA level. The part of development (at least professionally) that the G League would help these young guys would be what it means to be a professional. Proper nutrition, managing a hectic travel schedule, etc. The demand of a professional is much more than what the college kids deal with until the NCAA tourney which for a 1 and done kid could literally only be a one day experience.

One last point about the big stage and development; I don't think a regular season NBA game on average is necessarily a shocking endeavor. Those crowds typically aren't crazy (some teams do have legit home court advantages regardless of the context like OKC). The big stage and development becomes an issue I'd argue in the playoffs, but only 16 teams make the playoffs. This is the reason some franchises with young talent (the Heat for instance) would rather get swept in round 1 with young guys (to give their players experience) than miss the playoffs for a lottery pick.

NBA games get pretty raucous when it’s a marquee game. Not a GSW fan, but the Oracle was pretty loud and raucous when certain teams or players came to town.

Regardless, it’ll be interesting to see how this all develops

This is what the XFL should of been doing to high school players. The talent and interest would of increased big time.. Pay them boyz

Agreed. Maybe for a few years the NCAA would still have better quality football, but if lots of elite kids decided to forgo college play to pro football (and have scholarship opportunities to use wherever they want), you'd see a gradual shift in quality. Also, xfl should have offered more guaranteed money to 4-7th round NFL draft picks. They are disposable in the NFL but are the backbone of the league. XFL could have knee capped the NFL. Lastly, I would have let local residents buy shares in the local team. Equity ownership (maybe 51% public, 49% private). I know I would be a bigger fan of a team if I felt like it was mine (and could vote on key issues like leadership) as opposed to a team like the Dolphins, which have been run like a garbage franchise since Wayne Huizenga sold them.

How many players will be offered this sort of deal by the NBA annually? If we're talking about 1 or two guys a year, it means nothing.

I think 1 or 2 guys will gets this sort of deal annually. Maybe 10 kids max take this deal a year.

If the NCAA in a dream world revamped themselves and actually wanted to pay kids, they’d be unstoppable they’d put every minor league out of business. The scope and scale of duke unc hoops or Miami fsu football can’t be matched by a minor league. And as far as baseball who wants to be evaluated during a single A game with 100 people? The NCAA paying players would benefit NCAA

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back