NCAA Not Looking Too Hot

Advertisement
There is no governing body. It will continue to happen IMO.

Nobody to police the NCAA

I’ll argue economics. Same reason leagues with lesser talent don’t succeed will be the downfall. If the product suffers because the best talent is not participating people will lose interest gradually and that will get expensive.

Advertisement
I CANT WAIT UNTIL CFB COACHES ARENT THE HIGHEST PAID PUBLIC EMPLOYEES IN THEIR STATES
I CANT WAIT UNTIL CFB COACHES ARENT THE HIGHEST PAID PUBLIC EMPLOYEES IN THEIR STATES

How many players will be offered this sort of deal by the NBA annually? If we're talking about 1 or two guys a year, it means nothing.

Between changes like this by the NBA, and states passing laws to allow players to profit off their likeness this fraud that is the NCAA can’t last much longer.

Imo this does not effect the ncaa all that much..a player like jalen isn’t the majority he is the anomaly. Most kids are not ready to play professionally and most kids won’t get that same opportunity year in and year out. So yea the NCAA potentially will lose sum stars but it will keep kicking

Advertisement

wait.gif

I get the allure of money, but at that age, there's no way I would want the serious nature of adulthood. Who knows back then though, you've got an indestructible belief in yourself. College was a blast, wouldn't trade that experience for anything besides my kid.

I get the allure of money, but at that age, there's no way I would want the serious nature of adulthood. Who knows back then though, you've got an indestructible belief in yourself. College was a blast, wouldn't trade that experience for anything besides my kid.

I get it...I thought that too early but the more I thought about it. Who are we kidding? The NcAA as an ideal. Sure amateurism, get your degree “have something to fall back on” but the reality is that it’s all a Facade. These kids spend one semester in college. There were never going to get a degree and if they do stay that long many are pigeon holed into a majors that don’t pay nothing anyways. These one a done players Never actually go to class. And then their out and they got nothing but some backdoor cash handshakes. There is no real “college experience” outside of banging coeds, parties, and practice.

At least in this instance a young man can captailize on earning potential he’ll never get back. make 500k, still have a scholie, and get training from the best basketball coaches in the world. Without having to pretend that he’s a student.

Advertisement
G League is trash, and I can see why the NBA is trying to throw $ at highly rated kids to come there. G League have had fundamental issues from a development standpoint for years, well before it was known as the D League.

Yes, it’s true The G has turned out some diamonds in the rough in recent yrs, but those diamonds are still more of an anomaly. Unless kids are going str8 to the NBA, it appears when these they deviate by either going overseas or now The G League str8 out of high school, as opposed to college, their development is not as great, and we have plenty of examples.

We’ll see what comes of this, but the success has to be there to make it marketable. However, to say this is the could be the beginning of the end of the NCAA is far fetched.

Even when guys had the ability to go str8 to the league, it wasn’t the end of the NCAA. As a matter of fact, high schoolers actually hurt the league. We had to watch these kids go through growing pains, raw skills, not being able to handle the physicality or mental aspect of the NBA and that dropped ratings. Stern said, ‘F that, tell these mofos they need some college experience, first, b4 they can come through.’ That was back in 05, and he wanted them to stay another year b4 Silverman took over as commish.

The NCAAs development of players is still great, but clearly not every one & done is NBA ready. Look how bad this upcoming draft is going to be. Yuck

Already there. In some states it’s the basketball coaches.

Advertisement
G League is trash, and I can see why the NBA is trying to throw $ at highly rated kids to come there. G League have had fundamental issues from a development standpoint for years, well before it was known as the D League.

Yes, it’s true The G has turned out some diamonds in the rough in recent yrs, but those diamonds are still more of an anomaly. Unless kids are going str8 to the NBA, it appears when these they deviate by either going overseas or now The G League str8 out of high school, as opposed to college, their development is not as great, and we have plenty of examples.

We’ll see what comes of this, but the success has to be there to make it marketable. However, to say this is the could be the beginning of the end of the NCAA is far fetched.

Even when guys had the ability to go str8 to the league, it wasn’t the end of the NCAA. As a matter of fact, high schoolers actually hurt the league. We had to watch these kids go through growing pains, raw skills, not being able to handle the physicality or mental aspect of the NBA and that dropped ratings. Stern said, ‘F that, tell these mofos they need some college experience, first, b4 they can come through.’ That was back in 05, and he wanted them to stay another year b4 Silverman took over as commish.

The NCAAs development of players is still great, but clearly not every one & done is NBA ready. Look how bad this upcoming draft is going to be. Yuck

I agree to some extent, but some franchises (San Antonio and Miami) have been able to capitalize off the G League to help develop young talent in many cases undrafted guys. What the Heat have done in the G League with guys like Whiteside, Josh Richardson (spent early part of rookie season there), Okpala, Nunn, and Robinson has helped the franchise get themselves out of cap ****. Throw in guys like McGruder, Okaro White, Daryl Macon,Tyler Johnson who were contributors mostly due to development and what teams like Miami (there aren’t many who maximize the G League) have shown is the potential and purpose of the G.

The NBA should really invest more in terms of the league’s structure where it looks and functions more like minor league baseball. The two-way contracts policy is the step in the right direction, but it should not be limited to 2 per roster. Each team should be able to build their 15 man G League roster as they see fit, and call those players up at any time (obviously some restrictions like in MLB).

Problem the G League has more than anything is most franchises don’t value the developmental aspect the league presents. Ideally, it could function the way teams like San Antonio used to use Euro teams to stash talent abroad where talent could be kept and developed while creating more jobs for professional players. No reason the G League couldn’t expand into something that was modeled after minor league baseball or even European soccer academies.

The big issue would be teams not wanting to spend a bunch of money on something that doesn’t make money. MLB minor leagues are just another expense for team owners. They try to offset the costs but $6 tickets to a game in Birmingham aren’t going to come close to covering the expense.

I agree to some extent, but some franchises (San Antonio and Miami) have been able to capitalize off the G League to help develop young talent in many cases undrafted guys. What the Heat have done in the G League with guys like Whiteside, Josh Richardson (spent early part of rookie season there), Okpala, Nunn, and Robinson has helped the franchise get themselves out of cap ****. Throw in guys like McGruder, Okaro White, Daryl Macon,Tyler Johnson who were contributors mostly due to development and what teams like Miami (there aren’t many who maximize the G League) have shown is the potential and purpose of the G.

The NBA should really invest more in terms of the league’s structure where it looks and functions more like minor league baseball. The two-way contracts policy is the step in the right direction, but it should not be limited to 2 per roster. Each team should be able to build their 15 man G League roster as they see fit, and call those players up at any time (obviously some restrictions like in MLB).

Problem the G League has more than anything is most franchises don’t value the developmental aspect the league presents. Ideally, it could function the way teams like San Antonio used to use Euro teams to stash talent abroad where talent could be kept and developed while creating more jobs for professional players. No reason the G League couldn’t expand into something that was modeled after minor league baseball or even European soccer academies.

Agree w u; oh, and btw, there’s a reason y my Bulls tried to poach from The Heat. They’ve indeed done a masterful job in their development.

It’ll be interesting. The NBA could truly develop the G League into a true Farm
System like MLB, but even w MLB’s Farm System, a lot of kids still go play NCAA baseball. I don’t think this development will hurt CBB; but here’s my question; do a kid have to get drafted first and go str8 to the G League or do they pick & choose which G League team they go to, then enter the draft?

Advertisement
Back