NCAA Imposing Much Stricter NIL Rules

Advertisement
Ruiz probably laughing his *** off and saying bring it on.

Maybe not that far, but I'd bet that he's a hundred steps in front of the NCAA. If they are just releasing this now, they've been talking about it for a year and everyone in the game was prepared for what was coming. Ruiz is playing chess while the NCAA has an old Chutes & Ladders board game with mixed Candyland pieces.

In my humble opinion, the NCAA doesn’t really care that much if it “wins or loses”, it just wants to set precedent and hopefully instill some type of legislative control over a system that right now is complete chaos.

Advertisement
In my humble opinion, the NCAA doesn’t really care that much if it “wins or loses”, it just wants to set precedent and hopefully instill some type of legislative control over a system that right now is complete chaos.
You’re probably not wrong, but they are also the reason there is the chaos. Those clowns didn’t have the foresight to think in a million years that NIL would come to fruition cuz they are that arrogant. Everyone else saw the writing on the wall, but the NCAA didn’t think it would happen and therefore never tried to put some guidelines in place to have as soft a landing as you could get. They openly punted to the states to legislate it. Now they want to put the toothpaste back in the bottle as much as they can. They remind me of the federal government but somehow dumber.

Advertisement
NCAA is doing what they do best, being complete morons. They're trying to enforce some of their barely existent rules around NIL which is good, however, they are of course going about it in an idiotic way. Basically, they're saying that schools are guilty until proven innocent. NCAA can now use circumstantial evidence like an anonymous tip or random news story and don't even need anyone to go on record to charge a school. Of the school can't disprove it, they can be charged.

Complete ******* joke, curious what the lawyers have to say about this. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Ruiz will fight. **** those beggars and hangers on

NCAA is doing what they do best, being complete morons. They're trying to enforce some of their barely existent rules around NIL which is good, however, they are of course going about it in an idiotic way. Basically, they're saying that schools are guilty until proven innocent. NCAA can now use circumstantial evidence like an anonymous tip or random news story and don't even need anyone to go on record to charge a school. Of the school can't disprove it, they can be charged.

Complete ******* joke, curious what the lawyers have to say about this. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Here is my problem with it.

It is one thing to say “If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s a duck.”

Legal basis aside, the whole system is quacking like a mother-******. Sure some deals quack louder than others but all of it is pay-for-play. All of it. Every single one.

You can write contracts and set procedures to hide that and comply with the letter of the law but the reality is that these kids don't have any NIL value unless they are playing. Specifically, they don't have any value to the homers paying the bills if they aren't playing for their team.

The whole thing is a thinly disguised veil to get around that fundamental fact.

I am in favor of NIL because the kids deserve it. But this system just sucks because it is pretending to be something it isn't. Trying to disavow any connection to actual schools is just making the whole thing underhanded from the start.

I predict this particular version of NIL is going to collapse in the next few years to be replaced by a national system that actually actually acknowledges playing for school x. Ideally that would have salary caps but I doubt that will happen.

Advertisement
NCAA has close to zero power. the lengths as to which the system does not want to pay players is ridiculous
I'm sorry to break it to you, but NIL as it is constructed now has zero to do with "paying players". It's a recruiting tool. Period. Take a look at Rashada's I'll fated deal. How is the name, image, and likeness of a high school kid, who hasn't played a down of college football, worth this kind of money for doing virtually nothing in return?
IMG_0809.jpg

Advertisement
I'm sorry to break it to you, but NIL as it is constructed now has zero to do with "paying players". It's a recruiting tool. Period. Take a look at Rashada's I'll fated deal. How is the name, image, and likeness of a high school kid, who hasn't played a down of college football, worth this kind of money for doing virtually nothing in return?
View attachment 228478
Quite the opposite is true, NIL was forced to be constructed and opened up like this because of the Supreme Court ruling. If the NCAA got its way it would keep everything under the table.

They putting Miami rules period

Quite the opposite is true, NIL was forced to be constructed and opened up like this because of the Supreme Court ruling. If the NCAA got its way it would keep everything under the table.

Actually, the Supreme Court ruled that the Governing Body of the NCAA could not penalize a student-athlete from making monetary value off his/her NIL. The NIL was argued & brought forth by Ed O’Bannon who had a direct suit against the NCAA & EA Sports for using either his name, his image, &/or likeness for monetary value, while he himself received no compensation. That’s the NIL rule.

It was for the college athlete to be allowed to be compensated when their name, image, &/or likeness was being used for the benefits of any entity besides the student-athlete themselves. It also opened up a way for the student-athlete to accept monetary benefits like signing an autograph, appearing in a commercial, etc. w/o losing eligibility or amateur status.

That’s what the Supreme Court ruled in favor in; NIL, even in its ambiguous by-laws have stated that it should not be used as a recruiting mechanism. So yes, there’s been some real slippery slopes b/c of ambiguous language & lack of enforcement that have created tampering within the transfer portal & HS recruiting. Many of these kids r getting NIL deals where no NIL contingencies/nature are being asked or fulfilled. All that is are bags vs. the nature of NIL.

Advertisement
Back