NCAA Early Signing Period

Advertisement
Its a good idea to coaches who can **** kids over even easier then ever and lie at a more rapid pace because a kid may be forced to make a decision that he later regrets by winning the parents over. Aso to the fans who really shouldnt care about the time spent as long as the caches tdo their jobs recruiting and get it done. The kids will hurt from this because every year you'll read a handful of kids regretting their choices and almost beg to get out of their decision

I wouldn't doubt that coaches like Urban Meyer, Les Miles, and Nick Saban are all for it.

The dirty **** that they could do in an early signing period should be in a movie. What people dont get is that an early period makes cheating even more reasonable in their minds because they want to get kids sealed up even earlier

Early signing period is ideal for non-Florida (Big3) schools who want to poach some Florida schools
who are on the verge of developing into blue-chippers....the late bloomer type.

I'm not in favor of this at all.

So many talented kids in our backyard, I like being able to wait a little on some of these
kids to see how they develop and/or in many instances, if they are making progress towards
getting qualified.

Schools with not much talent in their backyard and/or easy academic requirements will love
the early signing period.

Not good for UM.

The NCAA is seriously considering instituting an early signing period for CFB.

I personally do not like it, especially because coaches will probably start giving kids ultimatums of signing early or risk losing their scholarship offer.

CFB recruiting could get dirtier than it already is.

Thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/college-football...david-shaw-strongly-opposed-early-signing-day

Advertisement
I used to be in favor of this big time but after seeing what David Shaw(Stanford HC) said I agree with him. What if kids change their mind then it's going to be a battle with that. I have changed my my point of view on this a couple of times.

Early signing period is ideal for non-Florida (Big3) schools who want to poach some Florida schools
who are on the verge of developing into blue-chippers....the late bloomer type.

I'm not in favor of this at all.

So many talented kids in our backyard, I like being able to wait a little on some of these
kids to see how they develop and/or in many instances, if they are making progress towards
getting qualified.

Schools with not much talent in their backyard and/or easy academic requirements will love
the early signing period.

Not good for UM.

The NCAA is seriously considering instituting an early signing period for CFB.

I personally do not like it, especially because coaches will probably start giving kids ultimatums of signing early or risk losing their scholarship offer.

CFB recruiting could get dirtier than it already is.

Thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/college-football...david-shaw-strongly-opposed-early-signing-day

not really its always hard to pull top talent from big time states and kids aren't trying to commit early with the possibility to make it into a better school

I used to be in favor of this big time but after seeing what David Shaw(Stanford HC) said I agree with him. What if kids change their mind then it's going to be a battle with that. I have changed my my point of view on this a couple of times.

So they don't sign on Early SD, next issue.

This will stop schools from offering bull**** offers to a lot of kids. It will be a good thing if his happens.

Advertisement
This will stop schools from offering bull**** offers to a lot of kids. It will be a good thing if his happens.

The bull**** offers really mean nothing now because it doesnt matter until the University itself sends the letters to the kids so that wont do anything and even if kids have an issue with it its up to the HS coaches to inform them that colleges can and will give out bs verbal offers to kids if they have at least some interest

To much money being made by espn camp events/all star game school selections and recruiting services which has grown exponentially. Once a kid commits he falls of the viewer interests for school fans.

Go Canes

So Alfred can't close (in the eyes of some people here) but this would be bad for us? I might be missing something but wouldn't this potentially wrap up some kids in our favor that eventually end up flaking on us late? I can't say I wouldn't have loved having had Valentine locked up early and then the Genron's of the world freaking out that we refuse to release him. Again, I might be missing something but doesn't this give the "handlers" and "mentors" less time to milk the process if the kids goes on a visit, gets all excited and commits to something that is binding?

So Alfred can't close (in the eyes of some people here) but this would be bad for us? I might be missing something but wouldn't this potentially wrap up some kids in our favor that eventually end up flaking on us late? I can't say I wouldn't have loved having had Valentine locked up early and then the Genron's of the world freaking out that we refuse to release him. Again, I might be missing something but doesn't this give the "handlers" and "mentors" less time to milk the process if the kids goes on a visit, gets all excited and commits to something that is binding?

Valid point, but it's a slippery slope.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Valid point, but it's a slippery slope.

1 problem with that, the handlers and mentors will make sure the recruits dont commit early. Not every kid has one of those and those are actually the good ones but they also can be manipulated easier

If there was an early signing period this previous year, Valentine would have probably signed with someone else since he was committed somewhere else before.

These kids usually change their minds because they get pulled in every direction even if they are committed. It has become the norm to commit early and then jump ship later. A committment doesn't mean a **** thing these days. An early signing period would put an end to a lot of BS. Sure their will be kids like Matt Thomas who want out after signing but I would bet money that he would be the exception and not the rule.

Advertisement

If there was an early signing period this previous year, Valentine would have probably signed with someone else since he was committed somewhere else before.

True. That'd have been a distinct possibility with him. At least it'd saved us the prolonged games though. I just think that we'd have two things working in our favor if this is instituted:

a) perhaps we keep a few kids that grew up "loving The U" before they have a change of heart sometime in Jan and "make a business decision" to "rep da 305" elsewhere

and

b) I think our campus and location might occasionally trap a few out of state kids to commit on the spot before they get back to Podunk and their communities (unlike ours) actually pressure them to stay.

This is all predicated on trapping kids early (which is kind of unseemly but the entire process is) and is rendered moot if we start winning as the % of last minute change of hearts should decrease. I just don't see a disadvantage when the entire critique has been Alfred can't close.

Who cares... cheating happens with an early signing period or not...

everyone will win some years and lose others...

it just means you can lock up certain kids and start to put the full court press on a couple other kids

329.gif

Advertisement
Back