NBA Draft Combine: Miller and Wong...

Advertisement
I recently read an evaluation of Wong on a Mavs site. It was written a year ago after he tested the NBA waters and decided to return to UM.

Basically, some of what he was told was they loved his "tight handle" and space-creating moves but were concerned about his 3 pt shot. One fault was the "dip" he had before launching his shot. He was bringing his hands/ball down to waist-level before rising to get the shot off. This resulted in too many defensive close-outs being able to disrupt the rhythm of his shot.

Reportedly, he worked on eliminating that dip this past year and speeding up his release. Last season, he shot threes at 38.4%, a career high. The two preceding yars, he never topped 34.7%. So, I guess it worked! Made me wonder, though, if it really takes an NBA evaluation to spot issues like that?

Advertisement
I recently read an evaluation of Wong on a Mavs site. It was written a year ago after he tested the NBA waters and decided to return to UM.

Basically, some of what he was told was they loved his "tight handle" and space-creating moves but were concerned about his 3 pt shot. One fault was the "dip" he had before launching his shot. He was bringing his hands/ball down to waist-level before rising to get the shot off. This resulted in too many defensive close-outs being able to disrupt the rhythm of his shot.

Reportedly, he worked on eliminating that dip this past year and speeding up his release. Last season, he shot threes at 38.4%, a career high. The two preceding yars, he never topped 34.7%. So, I guess it worked! Made me wonder, though, if it really takes an NBA evaluation to spot issues like that?
many times someone can tell you over and over again about some issue, and then someone else says the exact same thing and then you respond, especially when it is about your future..

When shooting off the catch he still had that dip. His % was better last year because he pretty much stopped shooting off the catch altogether in favor of shooting off the dribble. Would love to understand why, but his shot is much cleaner off the dribble.

One thing working against Miller that he really doesn't have any control over is his age. Unlike the NBA of yesteryears, teams aren't crazy about 23-24 year old rookies. Nowadays the younger the better. He'd have been a more appealing prospect if he were in that 19-21 year old range. Hopefully, he shows enough in the workouts for a team to grab him in next month's draft.

many times someone can tell you over and over again about some issue, and then someone else says the exact same thing and then you respond, especially when it is about your future..
Very true. It would be interesting to know though whether Coach L or an assistant had ever seen that as an issue or tried to correct it.

Advertisement
That's a lot smaller for both players than I thought. And miller played some forward for us.

I hope that Cleveland is at least close to 6'7"

Second-Round – Sports Illustrated

“Wong truly has the ability to make an impact on both ends. He’s not the biggest guard, but is laterally quick and is extremely disruptive on that end. This led to 1.4 steals per game as a senior, as he navigated passing lanes and defended well on-ball.

He’s also an extremely advanced shot maker, which was on full display in the tournament. While some of the top scorers in the country produce most of their points in rhythm or off the catch, Wong can legitimately create for himself and knock down tough shots. Whether it’s turnaround fadeaways, step back triples, or other NBA-level moves, that upside offensively jumps off the page.

He’s also a good positional rebounder and takes good care of the ball, so it feels like he has a solid floor as an NBA player. Combine that with his ability to make big shots and his chance of being an effective bench spark is easy to see. With that in mind, he needs to get better as a facilitator, which will only take his upside to a new level. Wong is extremely explosive and has shown at times in college that he can be extremely effective defending on the perimeter.

It’s unlikely Wong is a first-round selection, especially given he’s already 22, but as a second rounder he would be a great selection for any team. A former four-star recruit, the 6-foot-4 guard played against a high level of competition at the high school level. This is a huge reason he was able to make an immediate impact at the college level, including multiple 20-point games as a freshman.”

Advertisement
Wow. Miller was routinely listed at 6'7. Not surprised at Wong height, although did see him listed at tall as 6'4 (knew that was incorrect).

That's unfortunate for Miller. I can't see how it won't hurt his stock.

Now, if Miller is 6'4.5", how tall does that make Norchad?

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 1.21.10 AM.png

Advertisement
Miller was that skilled and crafty around the rim as a 6’4 four?! Makes me only respect his game that much more.

But yes like others said has to hurt his draft stock unfortunately

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back