National Signing Day Live update thread

View as article
Advertisement
My simple breakdown of class:
QB: Good
RB: OK (wish we had one more, but like Homer)
WR: Good. Can be Great with Richards and Mullins qualifying. If not, it goes down since we will only have Bruce
TE: Good
OL: Bad (need more than one OL per cycle, regardless of last year)

DE: Good (Think Jackson might be best kid in the class)
DT: Below average. I'm counting Willis as a new recruit. He's the best player we added for 2016. Can go to OK with Kobe Jones. Didn't land a freshman difference maker.
LB: Great. Best group we recruited. All 3 are savages
CB: Terrible. Young is a good prospect, but we needed a lot of quality here. Razor thin and we lost our best prospect
S: Good. Finley and Wright are good prospects. James might contribute on special teams.

Overall: OK. We killed at backer, got a potential franchise QB and added some play makers at WR. Disappointed with corner, defensive tackle and offensive line. Hoping Richt and CO can really rebound in 2017. SFL has some very good OL prospects, but we will have to travel for a DT (as usual). Corner is not necessarily deep either, but we need to bring in like 3-4 at least. How do y'all see this class?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Rr
Curious what everyone expected... UM has sucked **** in football for years. We just got a decent coach who had like 1.5 months of total recruiting time. #1 class? #5 ? Every year there are misses, even when you're winning.

If we continue to suck on the field, then I'll be ****ed. Until then, this is just fodder for discussion. Digging a hole to bury Richt in for what is an expected NSD is a little pre-mature. Wait until we lose to someone we shouldn't... then dig that hole.

I think we ALL would be lying if we said there weren't elevated expectations just given the new staff and the work they were putting in.

I won't lie....between Coach Kool and Richt, I was expecting a few DL and OL surprises...maybe a few others.

The fault is mine of course...just being thrilled to have a solid name in coaching since Butch and expecting miracles. Many of these dream long shots have been committed for a long time elsewhere, or in reality, have accepted financial incentives that likely took UM out of the game short of a free OV vacation.

I knew all of this, and still got my hopes up. I saw all of the smoke with Burd to UT and just refused to believe he would be $wayed that late...is what it is.

I guess I knew it all along. Mark & Co. are going to have to earn those recruiting accolades on the field and by the old fashioned long term relationship building versus the quick cash method.

They will have to crash DT, DB, & OL extremely hard now for 2017 and prove they can coach up what they have now.

UM

Advertisement
Advertisement
Somehow the time Richt had to recruit keeps shrinking according to our fans. "He only had 34 minutes to recruit!"

He held on to most of the class and landed some new guys. He also lost the most important player, and his DB hire netted terrible early returns. I'd say overall did a pretty good job for a transition class. B-.

2017 is the year he better EAT.

I agree with all except "lost the most important player". This is Miami and the most important player will always be the QB and Mark kept Jack. Next would be DT and MLB. MLB is best we have seen in long tiime. Granted QB and MLB were locked in, but still he kept them. I assume you mean that db who is now dead to us -- certainly wanted that man but Kool should make every db we have much better - no QB does well running for his life.

I know Richt and crew had their backs against the wall with such little time to work, but our biggest needs IMO this recruiting cycle were CB, WR, LB, and OL. Aside from our stellar LB class, did we really make any impact on those other positions?

Advertisement
Tennessee out recruiting us. We have fallen far. We don't have **** to offer but the weather. No stadium, no college atmosphere on gameday, etc.

Advertisement
Back