National Defensive Stats (EARLY look)

CaneBoss

Bossman
Yes - it has only been two games, however check out how our defense ranks early in the season.

Total D - 41st
Red Zone D - 6th (tied)
Turnovers forced - 11th
Team Passing Efficiency Defense - 38th
Rushing Defense - 47th
Sacks - 10th (tied) - 7 sacks already, had 13 all of last season. I don't think this can be understated.
Fumbles Recovered - 3rd (tied)
EDIT** Scoring Defense - 18th

Regression to the mean is bound to occur with only two games played, but I do not believe these numbers are statistically insignificant. I think we will see a defense MUCH improved from last season. Two areas which I think will be leaps and bounds improved will be the sack #'s and the turnovers forced. We have not had a secondary that has had the ability to intercept passes AS A UNIT like the group we field today. I look forward to see if we can pick off 8-12 balls as a team this year, which would be a vast improvement over years past.

The defensive performance has been discussed at length, but I thought taking a look at the national numbers would be fun (something that was a painstaking task during last season).

:neonu::neonu:

http://stats.ncaa.org/team/index/11520?org_id=415.0

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
When the offense can start getting more productive, the total defense stats will improve a good bit. The offense left them hanging against Florida.

When the offense can start getting more productive, the total defense stats will improve a good bit. The offense left them hanging against Florida.

Striking fear in your heart, the extremely lesser relevant stat!!!!

Regression to the mean is bound to occur with only two games played

I somewhat disagree. A lot of teams have only played cupcakes so far. Also, I read that our defense is currently near the top of the nation in snaps played, which will affect some of those stats.

Advertisement
Yes - it has only been two games, however check out how our defense ranks early in the season.

Total D - 41st
Red Zone D - 6th (tied)
Turnovers forced - 11th
Team Passing Efficiency Defense - 38th
Rushing Defense - 47th
Sacks - 10th (tied) - 7 sacks already, had 13 all of last season. I don't think this can be understated.
Fumbles Recovered - 3rd (tied)
EDIT** Scoring Defense - 18th

Regression to the mean is bound to occur with only two games played, but I do not believe these numbers are statistically insignificant. I think we will see a defense MUCH improved from last season. Two areas which I think will be leaps and bounds improved will be the sack #'s and the turnovers forced. We have not had a secondary that has had the ability to intercept passes AS A UNIT like the group we field today. I look forward to see if we can pick off 8-12 balls as a team this year, which would be a vast improvement over years past.

The defensive performance has been discussed at length, but I thought taking a look at the national numbers would be fun (something that was a painstaking task during last season).

:neonu::neonu:

http://stats.ncaa.org/team/index/11520?org_id=415.0

Regarding rushing defense, what is more important is yards per carry and right now Miami is giving up less than 3 yards per carry.

Striking fear in your heart, the extremely lesser relevant stat!!!!

That was actually more for all the posters who will complain about the lack of improvement in total defense. They're the ones who will complain that D'Onofrio has a bend, don't break defensive mentality, as opposed to being aggressive. The defense has been huge so far this year. The offense still hasn't found it's rhythm yet, but at least they have time to fix it. I don't see Golden sitting on that kind of offensive performance. He already mentioned that things were going to change, in the interview on WQAM this morning.

Total defense does matter don't kid yourself. The less yards our defense gives up = less time our D is on the field = more time our offense is on the field = opponent D is tired = more points for us

Yes the Florida game disproved this logic but we won't always get 5 turnovers and face a team that horribly bad in the redzone

I think our defense has played well enough so far to beat anyone on the schedule outside of clemson in the acc championship game. Excellent job by everyone

Last edited:
Advertisement
We all knew the Defense was not getting better last year..we ALL know the offense will this year..10+ wins

Advertisement
The D is vastly improved I saw that from FAU. Guys were where they were supposed to be. I don't see bend but don't break now. But that's what it was last year no doubt about it. Dno didn't trust the secondary. Now I see a lot of blitzes and change of coverage at the last minute. We **** near got there and pounded Driskel on every blitz. That's the type of defense we are used to seeing.....even when he completed throws he was smashed.

Big improvement on the amount of pressure we are getting however the most significant positive change for me is how much more stout our rush defense has become. No more seeing teams continually run on us like N.D. in the 2nd Half. I also think the pressure will only improve as McCord, AQM and other young explosive defenders get more snaps.

Total defense does matter don't kid yourself. The less yards our defense gives up = less time our D is on the field = more time our offense is on the field = opponent D is tired = more points for us

Yes the Florida game disproved this logic but we won't always get 5 turnovers and face a team that horribly bad in the redzone

For the most part HUH?

No one said yards don't matter. We're talking about the most important thing and those are the points. The Total D BS lead by people with agendas trying to make their arguments sound better.

Keep the points off the board, how do we do that? Great Question. Force turnovers.

Yards DO NOT EQUAL Points

Advertisement
Back