NAME YOUR DC FOR NEXT YEAR

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not sure how much of a cultural fit he'd be, but Phil Parker at Iowa can flat out coach some defense.

He's been a Midwest guy his whole life....grew up in Ohio, played DB at Michigan State, coached at Toledo for a while and has been at Iowa since 2013. Not sure how much interest he'd have moving to South Florida, but this guy is easily one of the 10 best defensive coaches in the country.

They're 3rd in the country again this year in defensive YPP allowed. They haven't given up more than 24 points yet in a game this year, and the highest YPP they've allowed is 5.01, which is outstanding. I know it's the Big 10, but in the 2 years before he was promoted to DC, they gave up 24 and 23 PPG.

In the last 5 seasons, here is what they're giving up on defense:

2020 -- 14.8 PPG
2019 -- 14.0 PPG
2018 -- 18.1 PPG
2017 -- 19.9 PPG
2016 -- 18.5 PPG

He's not a huge TFL/Sacks guy, so I doubt Manny would hire him because they don't really align philosophically, but they are just so fundamentally sound on defense and you do not throw the ball successfully against him. He made his bones as a DB coach, so he really knows how to limit you through the air. Literally every year they are in the top 10-15% in the country in passer rating allowed. And they take the ball away a TON.

Baker completely bailed out Lashlee against Pitt, UVA, VT. Clemson, NC State, Ville were ugly but the defense made enough stops in 2 of those games and allowed us to win. Baker takes a lot of heat here while Lashlee skates. Offense was great against UL, FSU, NC State but otherwise just ok.

Advertisement
The name is whoever can replicate de facto HC Lashlee's O magic onto the D unit.

I don't care if said individual is deaf, dumb, and/or blind.

ANYONE* has got to be better at this point.

*Does not include D'No.
Good idea!
Find somebody deaf dumb and blind! All three together!
Inclusion and diversity!

Some guys I like:

-Brad White, Kentucky DC. Coached at Navy and Wake Forest before being an NFL lb coach. Get rid of Patke and Baker and have him as dc/lb. hire a st coach and new cb coach.

-Glen Schumann, lb coach and co-dc at UGA. More like an assistant dc but has been coaching and learning under great defenses with Smart and Lanning. 30/31 great up and comer worthy of a full title and awesome recruiter, bagman or not.

-Travis Williams, lb coach and assistant dc at Auburn. Learning under Steele and another very good up and comer. Probably the least seasoned but having him promoted as co DC with Steele so that’s telling so early in his career.

-Zac Arnett, dc and lb coach Mississippi State. He is a bad fit with Leach and having minimal emphasis on defense. The guy would be a great fit here and was great as DC at San Diego State several years and a lb coach for longer. Another young and good up and comer.

-finally a guy you haven’t heard of is Chad Staggs, dc and lb coach at Coastal Carolina. Was great at Charleston Southern and Furman and this year they are having great numbers though the competition is the concern. But everywhere he has been he’s done a great job.

Based on our current record.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say.............
Blake Baker. Just a hunch!

Go Canes!!!

Advertisement
Rumph gets blasted I understand, but then you start playing a kid like Couch, also coach by Rumph, and this kid is all over the field making plays.
Baker & Diaz are full time Linebacker coaches: even when we had Shap and Pinkney folks were saying they weren't much better their senior years then they were their freshmen year. Mccloud nice kid has not develop at all, sometimes he doesn't even get out of his stance: Jennings also gets exposed wrong gaps, this group has gotten picked on the most by other OC .
Folks get all over Patke, but Finley might have been our best defensive players last couple of years and Frierson seems to be balling and Smith is coming along.
Scheme wise there are some really strange calls, last year FIU 3rd and 20 when they ran the ball up the middle and got the first down.

Earlier in the year I think we were number one in giving up plays of 10 yards plus, we were averaging around 20 a game. It doesn't seem to benefit us getting 13 TFL, then giving up 20 plus plays of 10 + yards.

Rumph gets blasted I understand, but then you start playing a kid like Couch, also coach by Rumph, and this kid is all over the field making plays.
Baker & Diaz are full time Linebacker coaches: even when we had Shap and Pinkney folks were saying they weren't much better their senior years then they were their freshmen year. Mccloud nice kid has not develop at all, sometimes he doesn't even get out of his stance: Jennings also gets exposed wrong gaps, this group has gotten picked on the most by other OC .
Folks get all over Patke, but Finley might have been our best defensive players last couple of years and Frierson seems to be balling and Smith is coming along.
Scheme wise there are some really strange calls, last year FIU 3rd and 20 when they ran the ball up the middle and got the first down.

Earlier in the year I think we were number one in giving up plays of 10 yards plus, we were averaging around 20 a game. It doesn't seem to benefit us getting 13 TFL, then giving up 20 plus plays of 10 + yards.
I was told rumph is handcuffed to who he can recruit, play and apparently develop. Any failure is on lead recruiters (manny and banda) and anything good is also on those two.

Advertisement
1606767033897.png

Advertisement
Back