My thoughts on the Gator game

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
Wow.

(I thought about just ending it there, but the nerd in me has to expound, so here goes...)

Defense

In the words of the immortal El Guapo - "what can you say about such men?" Heroes all over the field at every position. This is exactly how this defensive scheme is supposed to work. Yes, we gave up yards in chunks - get used to that - but this is a defense predicated on disruption, deception, and creating turnovers. The U-Toughness displayed by guys like Green, Chick, Perryman, Armbrister, Jenkins, McCord, and countless others was on full display here and can't be understated. Figs will be a superstar in another year, maybe before the end of this season. There's really not much else I can add beyond what's already been said, so I'll just say "bravo" and move on.

Offense

I'm probably in the vast minority here, but I really didn't have much of a problem with what we tried to do offensively (tried being the key word here.) To me, Coley's gameplan screamed "build a quick lead, then sit on it." With how our D was getting after it, I think that overall philosophy was fairly sound. HOWEVER, the manifestation of that philosophy did not fit with our personnel matchups on the field. The kind of running game we tried to establish was ill-suited to Duke's skillset. He's a powerful back, rest assured, but not a "power back" if you get my drift. That's a running plan you trot out when the Gus Bus is a Junior.

The biggest issue I have with the offense right now is one of identity. Last year, when the defense was a total train wreck and the O-Nofrio folks were multiplying like rabbits, at least we could see what type of defense Coach D wanted to run (even though we stunk at running it.) Here, I just don't know yet what we're trying to be on offense. The short answer is "multiple" - yeah, but EVERY offense is "multiple." Oregon is "multiple" - so is Alabama, Florida State, and every offense not wearing a yellow jacket. So what type of "multiple" are we? I just don't know yet. I think we'll find out more in the next 3 games, at least I hope so, otherwise we're looking at a case of the dreaded Pat Nix Syndrome...

Coaching

Man, how cool is Al Golden. Just look at the demeanor on the two sidelines - Florida's and Miami's - and you see an ocean of difference. There's no clenched teeth or mouth-foaming or crazy-eye in Al Golden, just a steady hand that knows when to slap and when to sooth. The man can coach a football team, people. I hope we're all on the same page with that now, regardless of our final record. I hope he gets some time to enjoy this one with his family - but not too much time, 'cause there's still work to be done!

Overall

We beat the gators - spanked them, really - in the last game of this rivalry for a very long time. Revel in that. We have a bye week followed by a cupcake (or 2, if USF's last couple games are any indication) before we start ACC play. There's a very good chance that we roll into Tallahassee undefeated. The last time both teams met undefeated (not counting Labor Day games) - the rain game @ Doak in 2003. I was there and saw Sean Taylor (RIP) put on a show for the ages. Can't wait for this one! Whatever our final record is, this is a gutty, disciplined, tough-***, fun team to watch. Enjoy the ride everybody, the fun's just starting.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
I tend to agree with you ghost (shocker) about the offense.

No it didn't work, but we tried to run it right at them and I respect that. On two of the three and out series we went PA on the first two plays and then on the next series we went to the run. If we are gashing them in the middle, Coley would be a hero for running it down their throats.

Now I do agree we were too stubborn for too long rather than try to combat their speed up front. As far as screens go I do think we called a screen on Dorsett's TD. That's why Morris wasn't sacked on the play because the DE hesitated for just a second and let Dorsett get free.

Re: Coaching

I keep getting flash backs to the Sun Bowl beat down ND put on us and only then do I fully fully realize what Golden has done here. Win lose or draw - the outcome of the game isn't necessarily my point......just the seriousness, the execution, going from pathetic to athletic - ALL OF IT. I'm just so **** grateful for Golden. This win was cathartic for more than just those within the program.

GO CANES

Advertisement
Back