My thing with the Transfer Portal.

What I do find funny about our recent success with the portal is that many of these kids throw the idea of playing in "Paradise"at one point or another to the side for the $EC and the big schools. They say its a business decision. That it doesn't matter that its a small sleepy town (talking about the typical college town). After they go away and see how miserable it is, and see that what the coaches once told them was all a lie just to get them on campus and stack chips, now they register in the transfer portal and look to come to paradise to play. Some of the old reasons for picking a college like location, student life, weather, past history are coming in to play once they realize how miserable it is in these shanty towns.

I'm all for it. Talent is talent. However we can get them here, we should do it. I still think we need to have success recruiting them out of high school. Thats the real tell as to what the perception of the program is at any given point amongst the high school kids.

Advertisement
This is probably just a one time thing to offset the terrible recruiting class of this season. I doubt Manny will be overly relying on transfers too much in the near future.

This is exactly my thought - although we will always have a transfer here, transfer there...this year we have to bridge the gap from this recruiting class to the next and that’s why the volume of Miami activity. Plus the portal itself is like the shiny new toy.

It’s brilliant. Bring them all in, we have the scholarships available.

the new transfer rules make it another part of recruiting. you're seeing 4-5 star QBs transfer after 1 year basically.

Recruiting is the bread and butter. The meat and potatoes. The other various food metaphors.

But the Transfer Portal, that’s the unexpected dessert cart. We’re not going to overly rely on it, but when a prime Tiramisu Martell shows up you snatch that shlt.

Another bonus is hopefully we can get these guys at a post-bag discount.

Yeap.
Many years ago Jerry Tarkanian was asked why he relied so much on transfers and he responded that it was because
their cars were paid off.
LOL.
It appears that we will do well with this new transfer portal process, but in short time programs like Alabama will
exploit it big-time.
It's going to be similar to what you see in international soccer where the big-teams poach the little guys.

I like it if kids especially the SoFla kids want use Miami and then commit elsewhere then Miami should use every aspect to get great or good players from other areas even if its through transfers. Instead of settling and just getting bodies to fill the roster that can't help but just eat up a scholarship for four years.

Advertisement
The transfer portal is perfect for being able to jump start your program. Once you get going and win games, the HS recruits will come.

Five years from today the transfer portal will represent 50% of any given recruiting class. I said it when these new rules were first announced. The NCAA is creating a free agency market for college athletics.

This is the future of college recruiting.

Advertisement
Obviously the transfer portal can’t be our main “recruiting tool” in the future. But it sure has a good chance at being a great supplement for us. Especially this year where our high school recruiting took a dip.

I think Miami will benefit from the portal but I don't want us to be to reliant on it. Also for guys who failed else where and has disrespected or trolled Miami during their recruiting process, like a Jobe or that slow *** LB that threw Miami's cap that went to South Car, or that Nolan kid who continuously has our d*ck in his throat don't take those guys back. It will make us look weak as a program taking kids who disrespected us in the past.

Do not, and I mean DO NOT turn this portal thing into a plan B for Florida kids who spurn Miami the first time and think they can just come back later, especially if they mediocre and hold no valve.

Also I don't want our coaches to get lazy as recruiters. Instead of recruiting guys with potential out of HS or losing out on a HS kid their backup plan is always the transfer portal.

My $0.02

Um sure ok gotcha. In case you haven’t seen our 2019 recruiting class it’s because it’s so far down the rankings next to North Texas. Manny is using the portal to upgrade the talent on the team NOW, and for the holes we have to fill due to Richt’s incompetence recruiting for next year. This gives us a bridge gap filled, helps continue to develop the 2018 class, and puts results on the field to secure commitments for the 2020 recruiting class. He’s not going to use the portal every single year for gobs of players like he is this year. He will build through recruiting and supplement with transfers. No different than before.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back