My take on the CB situation going forward.

Advertisement
Unpopular opinion: it ain't just Ivey that's an issue.

Even more unpopular opinion: it ain't Rumph either.

This isnt to say that either of them are great, but I'm starting to think the cornerbacks and Rumph are doing exactly what theyre told. Doesnt matter who we plug in for Ivey. This is Diazs defense and his techniques.

Advertisement
Ivey generally gets himself into good positions. I’m going to assume this is why he is starting among other factors.
Yeah, he actually does. It's what happens after that that is generally the problem. I don't understand why he can't ever get his head around to give himself a chance at making a play on the ball.

Ivey generally gets himself into good positions. I’m going to assume this is why he is starting among other factors.

Practice and games are two different animals. Anyone who has played football knows this. Game speed affects player performance and can make them look like a different player when the lights are on.

Here is the deal.

1. He has no ball instincts.
2. He is not fast/lacks explosiveness.

These two things are generally unteachable.
At corner, these are at the top of the list for desirable skills.

If you are not fast at the corner position, you must be an explosive player.

Is Ivey a bad player? No. But he is a depth piece. He’s a starter at an AAC/lower-tier ACC school (USF, Duke, BC). He is NOT a UM caliber corner, especially if we expect to compete for championships.

If he starts he will get torched next week, and that’s not his fault, it will he on the coaching staff.

Tecory Couch is the BEST CB we have on the roster right now. He lacks elite speed but he has incredible instincts, ball skills, and is very explosive.

I think the staff might think he is too small. But I’ll tell you one thing he’s not afraid to hit. Look at his high school tape. He is fearless. He needs to start opposite blades.
Put some credit on blades name. He’s proven he’s the best in games. Couch gave up a 25 plus yard pass play Vs UAB in which he was in one on one coverage

C.Williams or Couch need to get a **** look already
Screenshot_20200915-105343_resize_43.jpg

This screenshot shows UAB's longest play from scrimmage. The corner in man to man coverage is none other than #23. Have we discussed this play at all since Thursday? If not, why? It led to UAB's second score which cut our lead to 3. I will give Couch credit for hustling and forcing a fumble which sadly was kicked out of bounds by Ivey, but it doesn't erase the fact that he got beat...BADLY. For the record, I actually do think Couch will ultimately be better than Ivey. Just pointing out that he might not be quite ready to start just yet.

Advertisement
Unpopular opinion: it ain't just Ivey that's an issue.

Even more unpopular opinion: it ain't Rumph either.

This isnt to say that either of them are great, but I'm starting to think the cornerbacks and Rumph are doing exactly what theyre told. Doesnt matter who we plug in for Ivey. This is Diazs defense and his techniques.
Ding ding ding

View attachment 130295

This screenshot shows UAB's longest play from scrimmage. The corner in man to man coverage is none other than #23. Have we discussed this play at all since Thursday? If not, why? It led to UAB's second score which cut our lead to 3. I will give Couch credit for hustling and forcing a fumble which sadly was kicked out of bounds by Ivey, but it doesn't erase the fact that he got beat...BADLY. For the record, I actually do think Couch will ultimately be better than Ivey. Just pointing out that he might not be quite ready to start just yet.
This play was brutal. 3rd down and he gets picked. Gotta have the awareness to play over the top on that imo but he also hasn't had a ton of "at bats" as Diaz loves to put it.

Advertisement
It seems like we haven’t had a true Corner since Artie burns and corn elder.. we have a bunch of projected safeties playing corner! When was the last time we had a corner with the foot speed and burst to actually play the position..

Ivey actually has good size and length (wingspan especially) but defintely looks lost out there. A good CB turns his head around on that TD throw and makes an INT instead. 7 point swing right there. A decent CB at least deflects or saves the TD

Coaches cant be that dumb not to know he's a liability. Question is how far behind is Couch and others?

Tutu is gonna embarrass us either way. Be prepared to shake your head quite a few times Saturday
He did. He just turned it in the wrong direction (over his right shoulder). He zigged when he should of zagged (a lack of instincts).

View attachment 130295

Can I get a time slot for quick find on a video that you used to see what the situation was, defense, offense etc...

Screenshots like this are bad.... can’t get much other than yeah he’s beat and it was a 3rd down conversion

Advertisement
It seems like we haven’t had a true Corner since Artie burns and corn elder.. we have a bunch of projected safeties playing corner! When was the last time we had a corner with the foot speed and burst to actually play the position..
Antrelle Rolle (if you include size and instincts). Burns didn't have the instincts, Elder, the size.

View attachment 130295

He didn’t get beat. He got crack blocked on a pick and that nice block left Mitchell wide open @brock and yourself.

Watch the actually play over. I give him credit for still being able to catch up and hustle down field.

I get your point though.

Advertisement
Back