My take on the CB situation going forward.

moneymanj

Sophomore
Ivey generally gets himself into good positions. I’m going to assume this is why he is starting among other factors.

Practice and games are two different animals. Anyone who has played football knows this. Game speed affects player performance and can make them look like a different player when the lights are on.

Here is the deal.

1. He has no ball instincts.
2. He is not fast/lacks explosiveness.

These two things are generally unteachable.
At corner, these are at the top of the list for desirable skills.

If you are not fast at the corner position, you must be an explosive player.

Is Ivey a bad player? No. But he is a depth piece. He’s a starter at an AAC/lower-tier ACC school (USF, Duke, BC). He is NOT a UM caliber corner, especially if we expect to compete for championships.

If he starts he will get torched next week, and that’s not his fault, it will he on the coaching staff.

Tecory Couch is the BEST CB we have on the roster right now. He lacks elite speed but he has incredible instincts, ball skills, and is very explosive.

I think the staff might think he is too small. But I’ll tell you one thing he’s not afraid to hit. Look at his high school tape. He is fearless. He needs to start opposite blades.

Advertisement
Ivey actually has good size and length (wingspan especially) but defintely looks lost out there. A good CB turns his head around on that TD throw and makes an INT instead. 7 point swing right there. A decent CB at least deflects or saves the TD

Coaches cant be that dumb not to know he's a liability. Question is how far behind is Couch and others?

Tutu is gonna embarrass us either way. Be prepared to shake your head quite a few times Saturday

Ivey actually has good size and length (wingspan especially) but defintely looks lost out there. A good CB turns his head around on that TD throw and makes an INT instead. 7 point swing right there. A decent CB at least deflects or saves the TD

Coaches cant be that dumb not to know he's a liability. Question is how far behind is Couch and others?

Tutu is gonna embarrass us either way. Be prepared to shake your head quite a few times Saturday
That TD pass should’ve been an easy INT. He’s in position, but no ball skills. Tutu will torch him and it could cost us the game.

Advertisement
According to 247, Couch clocked a 4.51 forty and 4.25 shuttle at the Open. That's pretty good speed if true and his numbers have probably improved since enrolling at Miami.

The coaches obviously have insight we don't, but man it's hard to believe that one of those backups isn't better than Ivey.

Ivey generally gets himself into good positions. I’m going to assume this is why he is starting among other factors.

Practice and games are two different animals. Anyone who has played football knows this. Game speed affects player performance and can make them look like a different player when the lights are on.

Here is the deal.

1. He has no ball instincts.
2. He is not fast/lacks explosiveness.

These two things are generally unteachable.
At corner, these are at the top of the list for desirable skills.

If you are not fast at the corner position, you must be an explosive player.

Is Ivey a bad player? No. But he is a depth piece. He’s a starter at an AAC/lower-tier ACC school (USF, Duke, BC). He is NOT a UM caliber corner, especially if we expect to compete for championships.

If he starts he will get torched next week, and that’s not his fault, it will he on the coaching staff.

Tecory Couch is the BEST CB we have on the roster right now. He lacks elite speed but he has incredible instincts, ball skills, and is very explosive.

I think the staff might think he is too small. But I’ll tell you one thing he’s not afraid to hit. Look at his high school tape. He is fearless. He needs to start opposite blades.
The crux of your takes are scorching hot. Like leave a burn mark on lava scorching hot.

Cameron Dantzler was a 3rd round draft pick for the Vikings AFTER he ran 4.65 at the combine and VJ’d 34.5 — that’s not explosive. And, “instincts” can certainly be taught…it‘s pattern recognition; some kids just need a better teacher, some kids figure it out on their own.

There’s another take: that DJ should’ve been redshirted, but because the position had been recruited so poorly, he was forced into the rotation because people wanted to see the next “Rolle” or “Rumph”, but he wasn’t ready — in terms of football IQ. This is why he’s lost, because the game hasn’t slowed down for him, yet. He’s lost; hoping he doesn’t make a mistake. He’s thinking, “just tackle him if he catches it” instead of being able to anticipate the QB or the WR move. Or bait/goad/steer them to do what he wants them to. That can be taught.

or maybe mine is just a take that can set fire to ****.

Advertisement
So under this scenario who plays nickel? Williams? If Williams... does he play outside in nickel

IMO, when Ivey plays at the top of his game, he's good enough to be a starter.

Problem is that he doesn't always do that.

Advertisement
Diaz always gonna have a knowles or Ivey or McCloud. Effort over exceptional skill

Ivey reminds me of Rumph early in his career, always a step behind and trying to extend at the end to make up for the distance lost. The good thing is Rumph was really good by his senior year. Sometimes as fans we just need to be patient. Not every corner is an All American after 1 year, some players actually develop and improve throughout their career

Advertisement
Ivey reminds me of Rumph early in his career, always a step behind and trying to extend at the end to make up for the distance lost. The good thing is Rumph was really good by his senior year. Sometimes as fans we just need to be patient. Not every corner is an All American after 1 year, some players actually develop and improve throughout their career

Exactly. Most CBs and OLinemen aren't even up to par until the junior or rs sophomore season. But then there are some freaks like that Stingley kind from lsu. ****, all those cbs yall were batching about that went to UGA or Bama still aint doing **** and they the same year as DJ.

The crux of your takes are scorching hot. Like leave a burn mark on lava scorching hot.

Cameron Dantzler was a 3rd round draft pick for the Vikings AFTER he ran 4.65 at the combine and VJ’d 34.5 — that’s not explosive. And, “instincts” can certainly be taught…it‘s pattern recognition; some kids just need a better teacher, some kids figure it out on their own.

There’s another take: that DJ should’ve been redshirted, but because the position had been recruited so poorly, he was forced into the rotation because people wanted to see the next “Rolle” or “Rumph”, but he wasn’t ready — in terms of football IQ. This is why he’s lost, because the game hasn’t slowed down for him, yet. He’s lost; hoping he doesn’t make a mistake. He’s thinking, “just tackle him if he catches it” instead of being able to anticipate the QB or the WR move. Or bait/goad/steer them to do what he wants them to. That can be taught.

or maybe mine is just a take that can set fire to ****.

Cameron Dantzler turned his head around and played the ball. Combine numbers don't measure explosiveness as accurately as you think. Look at the tape on Dantzler and compare with Ivey. He plants and breaks on the ball, I haven't see Ivey plant his backfoot and break on a pass for a deflection or INT yet.

You think the coaches haven't been teaching/telling Ivey to play the ball?
Like I said game speed affects players differently and its obvious in game settings he isn't performing.
Also, how long does it take for the game to slow down for him? He's been getting major playing time for a while now.

Cameron Dantzler turned his head around and played the ball. Combine numbers don't measure explosiveness as accurately as you think. Look at the tape on Dantzler and compare with Ivey. He plants and breaks on the ball, I haven't see Ivey plant his backfoot and break on a pass for a deflection or INT yet.

You think the coaches haven't been teaching/telling Ivey to play the ball?
Like I said game speed affects players differently and its obvious in game settings he isn't performing.
Also, how long does it take for the game to slow down for him? He's been getting major playing time for a while now.
That’s not exactly explosion, that’s anticipation; that’s the game slowing down — something that hasn’t happened for Ivey.

Telling ain’t teaching. Great teachers get through.

Advertisement
Back