My take from todays practice

Advertisement
I was pleasantly surprised with Hoilett's size. He's not Reggie White but he'll be fine if he puts the work in.

No problem.

Kirby is physically ready to play now. He showed good instincts and stood out on 7-7 drills.

As for Ryan, many peole compared him to Jacory when it came to arm strength a few months back. I couldnt disagree more. Anything inside 20 yds was a strike. He didnt look great but I saw enough from him to realize Morris is in trouble. Ryan wasnt perfect. But who is in the rain with 20 mph winds.

Some idiots will dog our guys but what they fail to realize is this is just the beginning. Real good energy, a coaching staff actually teaching and players that were not dogging it.

Is it fair to say our D will be a lot better this year than last, despite the loses? It seems like we are making progress really quick on that front.
our defense really wasnt that bad last year

Is this a serious comment / observation? Jesus Christ.

Advertisement
Hoilett was bigger than I expected. He was listed on the roster they were handing out at 240, and it didn't look that far off. Ricardo Williams has definitely added some good weight. He didn't appear to be where we need him to be to be an every down player yet, but with a good summer of conditioning, he could be over 240 IMO.

Gunter is big and thicker than I expected, I won't be surprised to see him get moved to safety in the Fall when more depth comes in at CB (if that depth proves to be serviceable enough).

Kirby looks great, surprisingly he looks more college ready than I expected. Witt looks smaller and definitely needs to add weight (but he has a frame for it).

Olsen Pierre looks like a monster. I know there have been different reports about him weight and position wise, but he is DT all the way. He is a full 6'4 and looked big, stoutly built, and filled out. I have been excited about him since he committed, and I expect him to be a regular in the DT rotation along with Porter and Smith.

Those of you that went, what does Kirby's actual size seem to be? In all the highlights and even the US AA game I still couldn't get a good feel for how tall I thought he was, or whose frame he could compare to.

Exciting news about Pierre's physical state.... #1 because we need the help there, but #2 because that kid was a nobody in the recruiting world and his success would (after he proves it on the field) validate Golden/D's eye for talent at a place like Miami, not just finding kids who can play for Temple.

Wait....our Linebackers dont look like CB's anymore?

And our DT's arent 245lbs?

Never gonna work i tell you

- Ryan williams is a lot thinner than i thought he was, didnt look great but him and morris will be a good competition

- Chick and the rest of the DL look much bigger

- Crawford looked good as a pass catching rb, good hands

- Gunter is really big, with long arms. I think he sticks at corner and locks down one spot especially if ray ray is as improved as golden says he is and VT shows up (paging #21... paging #21)

I looked over the roster they handed out and had some observations

1.) Where is wieclaw? i know he was around forever but he only got 1 year of actual playing time? I also noticed botts is a SR this year, looks like the revolving door continues after Bosher

2.) I counted 15 walkons (includes swasey but doesnt include the long snapper), have we had that many in recent years? How many actually make the fall with all the guys showing up?

Advertisement
Good to see the consensus is that the team is working harder. lets give it more than 2 practices before we crown or run anyone off.

You know what though I will take 11 sean spence's before i take a big linebacker who cant play for s**t!

You know what though I will take 11 sean spence's before i take a big linebacker who cant play for s**t!

not to say anything negative about our LB. just love players with heart. Sean Spence has, the smarts, speed, skill set, and playmaking ability. I see that in Perryman. Kirby I hope he pans out to be that guy. I always said we needed to recruit bigger. We always recruited speed but lets merge that and get bigger and faster... I know we will have 6,7,8 ships in the Golden era. I really hope he stays our coach for decades to come. Thanks to AG for bringing hope back to our University of Miami!

Advertisement

Sean Spence led our team to a 6-6 season last year. Good riddance.

Dude wants 11 5'11", fat, slow LB's?

When u hear his name every Sunday u will eat that!

Advertisement
@ 2511 Kirby will play OLB. My guess the will

That's as an early enrolle true freshman. Kid kid could easily be near 230 by summer practice. Think he's better suited at OLB, likely on the strong side, but still think he could be big enough to man the middle.

1.) Where is wieclaw? i know he was around forever but he only got 1 year of actual playing time? I also noticed botts is a SR this year, looks like the revolving door continues after Bosher

Revolving door? It's been 1 season since Bosher left.

I agree claw was solid

my comment was more about how golden has had to scramble to fill positions like P and K cuz radio left him nothing

Advertisement
Back