My Reflection: FAU

pcitycane

Retired staff
Premium
Dan E did a great job covering the game from beginning to end, and others have also shared opinions on the game, but I just want to point out a few things that really stood out to me. I watched the game twice because I'm kind of a nerd on this football stuff. Here's what I noticed...

Kacey Rodgers looked like a D1 safety was supposed to against a weak opponent. He was one of the better players on the defense last night. The play of the game on that side of the ball was obviously the Rodgers sack/forced fumble. He also missed a sack early in the game. I only saw highsmith out there a couple drives, so Rodgers is obviously everything you want in a safety, except for, well, the playmaking ability. I didnt see him get burnt in pass coverage so that was good. Hopefully he is getting the burn because he has improved, because if he hasn't, he will be exploited in the UF game over and over again.

The offensive line are a haul. What a sight they are. I just can't understand why we didnt physically dominate the FAU DLINE on a consistent basis. The pass protection also needs alot of work. Besides the wide receivers, this was the group I was least impressed with considering the potential that is there.

Speaking of the wide receivers, none of them did anything with the exception of waters on a run play and most notably, Stacy Coley dropping 2 touchdown passes. It was obvious jitters, and the separation he was getting was promising. I'm not so sure how to react to Morris being so openly angry at coley after the 2nd dropped pass.

Morris' pick and the shoulda been pick were terrible. Cannot afford those in ACC play.

Duke Johnson.

Tracy Howard and Antonio did a great job locking down their guys. They are going to be a good tandem. Can't wait to see them matched up next week vs better talent.

We played alot of young guys. We got 4 sacks. We look bigger. Gilbert gon be pretty good. Miami played 4 running backs in duke, Crawford (first TD!), Clements who looked good, and Gus Edwards, whom I was incredibly surprised with. Gus has alot of speed and is going to be a good back here.

Overall if I had to grade them out my opinion is this:

QB-C+
Hb- A
WR-D
Te-A
Ol-C

Overall offense-C-

DlB+
Lb-B+
CB-A-
S-A-

Overall defense-A-

Special teams - B

Overall for a tuneup game I think we did fine, but if we don't fix what we need to on offense by next week these small mistakes are going to do us in against the gaytuh.

Canes roll baby.

Advertisement
Good ****.

Doubt Morris was angry at Coley, he was just ****ed off. He certainly isn't going to take it out on a true freshman WR in his first game, in front of everyone.

We had 5 sacks
And I wouldn't give the TEs an A for the simple fact that Walford had a drop on a ball in his hands.

We had 5 sacks
And I wouldn't give the TEs an A for the simple fact that Walford had a drop on a ball in his hands.

It was nice to see the pass rush and the sacks against a team with mobile QB's no less. Liked the 3-4 looks I saw last night as well.

Good ****.

Doubt Morris was angry at Coley, he was just ****ed off. He certainly isn't going to take it out on a true freshman WR in his first game, in front of everyone.

I rewatched this play several times. Morris was VERY ****ed off. He was walking off the field, jaw clenched and staring at James Coley. Looked pretty clear that he said "Get him out!".

I don't think there's much of a big deal to make about it. Found it interesting though cause I don't recall ever seeing Morris that upset.

BTW, it was a 35 yd rope of a pass, right on the money to wide open receiver. I'd be ****ed too.

Advertisement
Good ****.

I rewatched this play several times. Morris was VERY ****ed off. He was walking off the field, jaw clenched and staring at James Coley. Looked pretty clear that he said "Get him out!".

I don't think there's much of a big deal to make about it. Found it interesting though cause I don't recall ever seeing Morris that upset.

BTW, it was a 35 yd rope of a pass, right on the money to wide open receiver. I'd be ****ed too.

AH, ok. I didn't make out the "get him out" part.

Guess I was off.

Good ****.

Wow i did not notice this. I will have to go back and rewatch that play, but put me in the camp that thinks this is more negative than positive. Could be nothing at all though. Morris wants to win and we have pressure to produce this season.

Whether this will be positive or negative will depend on how the coaches handle (or ignore) it and how these young men react. It is definitely a teaching/coaching moment they can learn from. My money is on Al addressing it well because it touches on a lot of the values he harps on: maturity, discipline, family, etc.

Good run down, thanks.

I'm sure AG will put Morris in his place and remind him that he needs to be a leader out there. Not crush a true frosh.

My biggest issue with the offense was the fact that they went 4-14 on 3rd conversions. Against any opponent that is unacceptable, but even more so against FAU. Hope it's the first game jitters. At least 2 can be since both drops by Coley were on 3rd down.

Advertisement
Good ****.

Morris know this is his last year and Millions are on the line for this kid, 1st vs. 3rd/4th round. Morris has a lot to accomplish this year including an ACC Championship.

Can't believe no one is mentioning that we were also breaking in a BRAND FREAKING NEW OC, so there were bound to be a few miscues and some issues on O, regardless of the senior QB and talented O-line. I expect a BIG step up in performance not just next week, but also moving forward this season.

Advertisement
Morris is gonna need Coley so he needs to be a.good teammate and stop acting like he's perfect......be a leader .....he is in such a rush to put his hat on

Advertisement
Morris is gonna need Coley so he needs to be a.good teammate and stop acting like he's perfect......be a leader .....he is in such a rush to put his hat on
With Scott likely out, he will need Coley more than ever. Morris need to spend some extra time this week getting a rhythm with the WR, especially Coley & Dorset. I hope coley responds well to tough love because a lot of players don't.

Why couldn't Dorsett ever get open?

Morris did NOT look like a Heisman contending, 4th year starter. Looked like The Mummy

O-Line couldn't roll over a high school caliber team. When FAU knocks you down at the LOS on 3rd and 4th and short, somethings wrong.

Coley is the only reciever who seems to be able to get open.

No punt or kickoff return game.

We in trouble.

Why couldn't Dorsett ever get open?

Morris did NOT look like a Heisman contending, 4th year starter. Looked like The Mummy

O-Line couldn't roll over a high school caliber team. When FAU knocks you down at the LOS on 3rd and 4th and short, somethings wrong.

Coley is the only reciever who seems to be able to get open.

No punt or kickoff return game.

We in trouble.

If Smokey even suspects a glass is half full, he knocks it right the fack over. He gets upset if someone puts milk in his Cheerios.

Advertisement
Back